Prediction Contest: What will Kyle Dubas' first "Moneyball" type move and who is untouchable?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
We all have the impression that Dubas leans towards advanced stats to evaluate players, and is part of a "new" / fresh approach.

So keeping to the theme of a "Moneyball" approach to team building, what do you believe will be Dubas' first (outside the box) move?

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
PTOS, cheaper short term FAs.

Seriously though, I think it will be based around promoting more of what he did with the Marlies. Stock our ECHL affiliate and stock our AHL team. 3 tier pro system.

Draft picks.

Willingness to draft/trade based on value of pick first and foremost. Someone wants to move up? Sure we will probably get more value moving down.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Blockbuster trade with more moving parts than the Gilmour deal with the Flames or the Phaneuf deal with the Sens. ;)

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Moneypuck doesn't really work in hockey. That doesn't mean analytics aren't important but hockey has too many random events/variables to be able to build a team like you can in baseball, which has a lot more structure which makes it easier to predict what a player will do when they step on the field.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Hamilton's putting up good shot suppression metrics so he might see Hamilton as an all-around top pairing guy instead of just an offensive D.

I could also see him getting value for upcoming FAs like Gardiner if he thinks the system can replace them.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I think he'll try and sign Jumbo Joe on a big one year contract (~$9 million). If not him, then someone else on a big one year deal.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He signs a minor league player that this board over reacts and argues about even though the organization has already been eyeing for months/years.

Last time Dubas was in the interim GM Chair it was Mark Arcobello he signed due to advanced analytics.

With Kyle Dubas noting that the Leafs are going to move Nick Spaling back to center, Arcobello could join a center group that currently looks like this: Kadri, Bozak, Holland, Spaling, Arcobello, Carrick.

It follows the theme of the day, along with the Matt Hunwick and P.A. Parenteau adds – cheap flyers on players with good possession numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Hamilton's putting up good shot suppression metrics so he might see Hamilton as an all-around top pairing guy instead of just an offensive D.

I could also see him getting value for upcoming FAs like Gardiner if he thinks the system can replace them.

I'm pretty sure analytics people would want to extend Gardiner.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
That would be up to the Coach.
The GM has the most control over which of their 50 contracts end up on the final 23-man roster that Babs can choose from, though.

From there, the coach only gets to determine which combination of 20 of those 23 guys they want to use.

Justin Holl's chances of playing can be drastically improved or diminished by Dubas, as long as he's the person determining whether or not Holl makes that 23-man roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad