Prediction Contest: What will Kyle Dubas' first "Moneyball" type move and who is untouchable?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The GM has the most control over which of their 50 contracts end up on the final 23-man roster that Babs can choose from, though.

From there, the coach only gets to determine which combination of 20 of those 23 guys they want to use.

Justin Holl's chances of playing can be drastically improved or diminished by Dubas, as long as he's the person determining whether or not Holl makes that 23-man roster.
Valid point.
I always assumed management works together instead of competing against each other, so I doubt there will be an issue.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Last time Dubas was in the interim GM Chair it was Mark Arcobello he signed due to advanced analytics.

With Kyle Dubas noting that the Leafs are going to move Nick Spaling back to center, Arcobello could join a center group that currently looks like this: Kadri, Bozak, Holland, Spaling, Arcobello, Carrick.

It follows the theme of the day, along with the Matt Hunwick and P.A. Parenteau adds – cheap flyers on players with good possession numbers.

Are things like TOI and G/60 really "advanced analytics"? It's just ice time and how frequently they score goals...

If that's "advanced" then I'm f***in' Einstein.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
hoping that it's Josh Leivo getting a real chance in JVR's former spot - offensive usage against softer competition that he'll help to hem in their own end, and front of the net duties on the PP

maybe not his first move given that there's a whole summer ahead, but that's one that I could see there being pressure on Babcock to try when the season starts

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Moneyball was a strategy which attempted to compensate for the fact the Oakland A’s were and are a small market, resource poor franchise. The Leafs are very near the polar opposite in hockey. Dubas will doubtless look for market inefficiencies to exploit but he won’t need to employ a full blown moneypuck strategy.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Moneyball was a strategy which attempted to compensate for the fact the Oakland A’s were and are a small market, resource poor franchise. The Leafs are very near the polar opposite in hockey. Dubas will doubtless look for market inefficiencies to exploit but he won’t need to employ a full blown moneypuck strategy.
kyle dubas is much more theo epstein than billy bean, a gm that uses new style analytics that isnt hamstrung by financial restrictions. epstein i believe now has 3 world series titles.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I feel like people are vastly overstating Dubas' reliance on analytics. Everybody analyzes statistics to help inform their decisions. Dubas may work harder at that stuff than most, but it's not like he makes all his decisions based on CORSI like some people around here seem to want to believe for some reason.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
I feel like people are vastly overstating Dubas' reliance on analytics. Everybody analyzes statistics to help inform their decisions. Dubas may work harder at that stuff than most, but it's not like he makes all his decisions based on CORSI like some people around here seem to want to believe for some reason.
to me, hes just a new school style GM that uses newer forms of information at his disposal to form more complete pictures on decisions he is faced with. i never thought he was the "analytics" only type.

edit: hes literally saying exactly that on overdrive right now lol

Last edited:
Reactions: The Man with a Plan

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Baseball has no salary cap though. In hockey every team needs to maximize financial efficiency, not just the poor ones.

Reactions: hotpaws

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Are things like TOI and G/60 really "advanced analytics"? It's just ice time and how frequently they score goals...

If that's "advanced" then I'm ****in' Einstein.
Literally everything that wasn't counted in the 60's like goals, assists and plus-minus is an "advanced stat", which just shows how behind hockey is

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Since Moneyball is about identifying undervalued assets: The entire league is on a current trend of highly valuing speed. Dubas will acquire/sign forwards who AREN'T considered great skaters but have positive analytical numbers nonetheless.

Mkdaman1818

Jun 29, 2013
I think an out of left field signing from a place like Switzerland or Germany. It’s all about taking advantage of inefficiencies in the league, and finding talent from surprising places.

Secondary - surprising draft picks, especially drafting smaller guys that might be underrated.

Reactions: Shayne Corsi

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I see two potential moves: the first is to find an undervalued D man, second is to get into the habit of trading average top 9 depth guys who put up career years for futures. Selling high as soon as you can on non core guys.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Valid point.
I always assumed management works together instead of competing against each other, so I doubt there will be an issue.

Reading some of the posts here it seems that some think MSLE operates like some type of prime time soap opera.

To answer the OP......I hope he can find one of these inefficiencies to play 4th line centre without having to ship off another 2nd at the TDL.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I doubt he'll extend Gardiner but if he does it'll be fine
it won't be fine if he extends gardiner. he does more bad than good. he needs to get off this team if we are to accomplish something other than a 1st round exit. if gardiner is extended i seriously question whether this team can win even more than i do now. i want everyone from the carlyle team gone. possibly even reilly and kadri if we can get good positional replacements back.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I could see him wanting to make a big move to make his mark. The Leafs are in a great position to do so as they're built well for the future and are looking to take the next step. This all while we know they need improvement on defense. Also with Tavares looming as a pending UFA.... There are some avenues to go down.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I see two potential moves: the first is to find an undervalued D man, second is to get into the habit of trading average top 9 depth guys who put up career years for futures. Selling high as soon as you can on non core guys.

I think he's going to try to find someone to give up a pick for McBackup, I can't see him letting Sparks go through waivers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad