Prediction Contest: What will Kyle Dubas' first "Moneyball" type move and who is untouchable?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
it won't be fine if he extends gardiner. he does more bad than good. he needs to get off this team if we are to accomplish something other than a 1st round exit. if gardiner is extended i seriously question whether this team can win even more than i do now. i want everyone from the carlyle team gone. possibly even reilly and kadri if we can get good positional replacements back.

Whaaaaaaat?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Replacing:

JVR LW
Komarov LW
Bozak C
Moore C
Plekanec C
Polak D

With:

Hertl LW
Stastny C
Beagle C
Carlson D
Nash LW

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
The challenge for Dubas will be to hit the cap ceiling, but leave enough room to sign Matthews and Marner the next year. So he has to sign some big 1 year deals.

I would be looking at Jumbo Joe and Kovalchuk. We should be able to afford to offer them a lot of money on a 1 year deal. Then next year, all that money basically goes to Matthews and Marner.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
kyle dubas is much more theo epstein than billy bean, a gm that uses new style analytics that isnt hamstrung by financial restrictions. epstein i believe now has 3 world series titles.

Nailed it.

Reactions: djdev

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I could see him wanting to make a big move to make his mark. The Leafs are in a great position to do so as they're built well for the future and are looking to take the next step. This all while we know they need improvement on defense. Also with Tavares looming as a pending UFA.... There are some avenues to go down.

This summer will be interesting for Dubas.

- There's the John Tavares elephant.
- William Nylander needs his new contract, and Auston Matthews/Mitch Marner become eligible on July 1 for an extension
- This team needs some sort of defensive upgrade, there's a pretty prominent right handed defensemen available in free agency, and there appears to be a good amount of potential trade options.

That is the start of it, let alone the more minor issues;

- The goaltending situation. One of them is going to be traded. It may not be until September, but that is a move that needs to be made
- Josh Leivo. It has become quite apparent that Josh Leivo doesn't have a long-term future on this team. Even if he's on the team next year, it's likely on the 4th line, so we need to figure out if his value above his replacement in that spot is greater than the value he'd bring back in a trade
- Matt Martin. Will be a tough trade to make for a couple reasons. Mainly, his contract. Secondly, his relationships with out players. The young guys love him, and while we can't keep him just for that reason, Dubas needs to make sure everything goes smoothly.

Not too mention the entire draft, and what strategy Dubas/Hunter use this year.

Will be interesting.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Now obviously there's gonna people coming in to say 'omg no ones untouchable, Gretzky was traded'.. and yea.. congrats you're right.. but who has more I guess protection of not being included in a trade now that Dubas is GM, and who can Dubas be expected to like less than Lou?

I'd say Kapanen & Johnsson are two guys getting big boosts in terms of the GM thinking they're part of the core, Kapanen was handpicked by Dubas in the Kessel deal while Dubas has said to Johnsson essentially 'what's stopping you from being Arvidsson?'. I also think the big 3 will be more safe than they already were with Dubas likely focusing on value in their potential more.

I'd say Zaitsev is probably 1 that is now less of a core piece, apparently Lou loved him but he had bad advanced stats w/ weak eye test and although Dubas likely gives him another year to figure it out after Zaitsev had a kid & injuries this year, I think he won't be scared to flip him if it repeats. And obviously i don't think we'll see any UFAs return. (Polak included)

Your thoughts?

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Baseball has no salary cap though. In hockey every team needs to maximize financial efficiency, not just the poor ones.

There is still a world of difference between say the Yotes and the Leafs and how they do business. One is a cap floor team and another is heading for a cap crunch in the near future. (Crosses fingers that's the case as it means everyone has continued to grow their game leaps and bounds)

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
When it's the only newsworthy thing for the Leafs from now until Keefe is hired by the New York Rangers, its fine. But discussing who's core now with Dubas is a more threadworthy than 'what will be his first moneyball move'.

I think both threads have equal level of merit.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
If we see any of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Andersen, Dermott or Liljegren leave before they're eligible for Unrestricted Free Agency, I'll be very, very surprised.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
If we see any of Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly, Andersen, Dermott or Liljegren leave before they're eligible for Unrestricted Free Agency, I'll be very, very surprised.

Rielly could easily go for a decent top 4. Actually even Andersen could too if we had another goalie come along.

Liljigren and Dermott could be traded. Too early to call them Untouchables.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Rielly could easily go for a decent top 4. Actually even Andersen could too if we had another goalie come along.

It's too early to have any idea what they actually will be, and that's exactly why I'll be surprised if they're moved. My expectation is that they're valued much more highly by our management team than they are by the majority of our fans.

I don't even know what to say about Rielly "easily [going] for a decent top-4"...

Reactions: lurkerrr

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON

Why in god's name would we move Rielly... there's no scenario where he'd yield a better return on defense and he's on a darling of a contract

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad