What will JB do before the trade deadline?

What will Botterill do before the trade deadline?

• Add some viable top 4 type D by giving up at least a 1st

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pull a Tim Murray

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
So you trade Skinner. And then what? What is the plan?
One plan could be to recoup some futures that we gave away to get him. Then flip some of those futures, or package them with our own futures and acquire someone at the draft that is needed.

Maybe the futures given to us from trading skinner are enough to attach to Okposo for someone to take him off our hands.

Either way trading him away isn’t the end of the line for Skinner and the sabres. He made it known he wants to be closer to home. He’s experienced Buffalo and if the team feels they won’t make a push and they could use him to get more pieces to the puzzle and re sign him July 1 then why not explore that plan?

If I’m trading Skinner it’s with an understanding between everyone involved that he’ll be a Sabre again July 1. This would diminish the value we get back in a trade but at least it’s something for an expiring contract. Teams who may be willing to pay for him with the understanding he isn’t staying could be:
Toronto (he wants to play close to home but they can’t afford him long term. Give him a run with the hometown team and re sign July 1)
Winnipeg as mentioned by Jim Bob
Nashville
TB (assuming they can make the cap work)
Pittsburgh
Washington

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
One plan could be to recoup some futures that we gave away to get him. Then flip some of those futures, or package them with our own futures and acquire someone at the draft that is needed.

Maybe the futures given to us from trading skinner are enough to attach to Okposo for someone to take him off our hands.

Either way trading him away isn’t the end of the line for Skinner and the sabres. He made it known he wants to be closer to home. He’s experienced Buffalo and if the team feels they won’t make a push and they could use him to get more pieces to the puzzle and re sign him July 1 then why not explore that plan?

If I’m trading Skinner it’s with an understanding between everyone involved that he’ll be a Sabre again July 1. This would diminish the value we get back in a trade but at least it’s something for an expiring contract. Teams who may be willing to pay for him with the understanding he isn’t staying could be:
Toronto (he wants to play close to home but they can’t afford him long term. Give him a run with the hometown team and re sign July 1)
Winnipeg as mentioned by Jim Bob
Nashville
TB (assuming they can make the cap work)
Pittsburgh
Washington
A stretch at best, a disaster at worst.
You re-sign Skinner, not even debatable to be honest. You've found a winger that can pot 30+ with figure skating in his back ground no less. You keep an asset like that when you have a center of Eichel's caliber, and it's not even a conversation you have within yourself if your the GM.

As for the trade deadline, Botterill needs to pull the rabbit out of his proverbial hat and spend some of that 1st rd capital to bring in a 2nd line center 23 to 26 yrs old that is a line driver. Not an easy task given the wingers here currently.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You re-sign Skinner, not even debatable to be honest. You've found a winger that can pot 30+ with figure skating in his back ground no less. You keep an asset like that when you have a center of Eichel's caliber, and it's not even a conversation you have within yourself if your the GM.

As for the trade deadline, Botterill needs to pull the rabbit out of his proverbial hat and spend some of that 1st rd capital to bring in a 2nd line center 23 to 26 yrs old that is a line driver. Not an easy task given the wingers here currently.
The problem with that last thing is that asking him to procure a unicorn would be more realistic than landing a 2nd line center 23-26 years old who can drive a line. If he could do that walking across the Niagara River would be an anticlimacs.

Reactions: Yatzhee

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

There are roughly zero of those available for trade around the league.

Reactions: Yatzhee

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
What's the plan if you keep Skinner, miss the playoffs, and he is asking for 8 years @ $9M+ to re-sign heading into UFA?

(I have been expecting Skinner to be traded at the deadline since the trade happened)

For your question, try to frontload the deal so he is easier to trade in year 4 or 5. Some GM will always take a large cap hit when the actual dollars are lower. The 9m won't hurt at all with Moulson & Pomer coming off the books next season (over 9m combined) and nobody due a major raise until Bogo, Sobotka, Sheary, Hunwick, Wilson, Nelson & Scandella all hit UFA the summer after. (that could open up between a third & a quarter of total cap after the 19/20 season :around 23 million on mostly depth players if all move)

If Skinner is willing to extend & the contract is front loaded to take advantage of the built in cap reset, Botts has no excuse not to sign Skinner.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
If he can acquire a a roster player that's not a rental he will but I think those moves will likely happen over the summer...I'm thinking it's AHL call ups, and if he can shed any salary he will...

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
The problem with that last thing is that asking him to procure a unicorn would be more realistic than landing a 2nd line center 23-26 years old who can drive a line. If he could do that walking across the Niagara River would be an anticlimacs.

If and Buts... It would have been nice if one of the 2011-2014 guys drafted in the 2nd or 3rd rounds turned out.

Danny Cat, Cornel, Kea, Karabacek Even a properly developed Grigs probably could have been been a serviceable 2C. Like I said, Ifs and Buts...

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
I would be happy if Botts was able to pick up a roster player that can be had for less than one of our 1sts. Two names i see getting thrown around the trade boards are Andre Burakovsky and Nick Bjustad. I would be willing to add a first if we can dump a contract but not sure if either of those teams can take one.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I would be happy if Botts was able to pick up a roster player that can be had for less than one of our 1sts. Two names i see getting thrown around the trade boards are Andre Burakovsky and Nick Bjustad. I would be willing to add a first if we can dump a contract but not sure if either of those teams can take one.

Absolutely no chance Washington takes a cap dump. Florida could, but I don't think that's their style.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
"We can't put Reinhart at 2C, that's Sobotka's spot." -Phyllis Housley

It's honestly mind-blowing that they refuse to even try putting Sam at center for 1 game. What's the worst that could happen?
Sam has said publicly he sees himself as a winger and is not comfortable at C.

Coles19

May 11, 2011
I don’t know when Sam ever said that. However, Jack said back in the summer on Spittin Chiclets that Sam was frustrated being asked to play center last year because he felt he played very well on the wing. I think its a case of Housley honoring players wishes and not ruffling feathers with the captain as well.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I stated: "shed dead weight": in the sense if there's a sensible deal out there for Bogosian or Okposo to look into it. Regardless of the team or situation, Okposo is our biggest "dead weight" contract. I definitely would appease Beaulieu if we're not going to play him more than 12 minutes a night.

2nd: "Add some viable mid pair type D without giving up a 1st": Adding someone like Michal Kempny, D did last trade deadline. Just a similar type player that can push the place and be a mid depth defensemen.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Yeah, Sam never said it, but Jack relayed that it's how he feels.

Sam has said publicly he sees himself as a winger and is not comfortable at C.

I don’t know when Sam ever said that. However, Jack said back in the summer on Spittin Chiclets that Sam was frustrated being asked to play center last year because he felt he played very well on the wing. I think its a case of Housley honoring players wishes and not ruffling feathers with the captain as well.

Again, Sam said this when he was able to play with a decision of two top 6 centers. Who wouldn't want to play with Jack or Ryan? Of course he was comfortable playing wing more so than center, because it meant he can get top 6 minutes and play with talented center man, compared to the carcasses he had to try and carry around last year when he was a center for the 3rd line.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Again, Sam said this when he was able to play with a decision of two top 6 centers. Who wouldn't want to play with Jack or Ryan? Of course he was comfortable playing wing more so than center, because it meant he can get top 6 minutes and play with talented center man, compared to the carcasses he had to try and carry around last year when he was a center for the 3rd line.
Sam is our only non-carcass winger not nailed to Jack this season tho

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I think, whether we like it or not, the timeline has kind of been reset under Botterill.

He’s not going to rush this rebuild for the sake of the playoffs this year.

I think he probably sold Pegula on going back to the original plan (before Tim Murray tried to speed it up) of building through the draft to try and achieve long term sustainable success.

As much as I hate watching the playoffs slip away, I am ok with the plan for the most part, as long as they hit on these 1st round picks.

I am still holding out hope that Botts is able to at least bring in some cheaper help, using 2nd or 3rd round picks or roster players. But I’m not holding my breath.
As John Vogl reported today, Botterill doesn’t view this as a “playoffs or bust” type of season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad