What will JB do before the trade deadline?

What will Botterill do before the trade deadline?

• Add some viable top 4 type D by giving up at least a 1st

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pull a Tim Murray

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
The disparity in our middle six is such a glaring weakness, and filling it might be the difference between playoffs or not. I'd be beside myself flabbergasted if it's not addressed.
I said in mid December we needed address the 2C hole ASAP. I feel it’s too late now.
I’d rather wait till the off season and see who we can sign as a UFA. Doesnt cost us any assets. Trading a 1st near the draft has huge value as well.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The Sabres are 4 points out of a playoff spot today.

They have two road games after the break (CBJ & DAL) and then a 7 game home stand with the last game 10 days before the TDL.

Where the team stands at after that game against the Rangers on 2/15 will be interesting to watch. If they are barely in a playoff spot, it will be interesting to see how patient Botts and ownership are.

Reactions: sabresEH

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Moskau pretty much said it for me. Botts strategy has been to turn this franchise into a contender via his Rochester pipeline. It is more likely he will add assets there this spring and summer in order to bring some of the guys up to acclimate and familiarize with the big club. Especially when injury situations on the club allow for it. That's a solid game plan.

I doubt that many of our big long term salary consumers are gonna be highly sought after though by playoff clubs...... (KO, Poms, Marco....)

Reactions: sabresnyper

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
The Sabres are 4 points out of a playoff spot today.

They have two road games after the break (CBJ & DAL) and then a 7 game home stand with the last game 10 days before the TDL.

Where the team stands at after that game against the Rangers on 2/15 will be interesting to watch. If they are barely in a playoff spot, it will be interesting to see how patient Botts and ownership are.

True it's only 4 points but the Sabres have a whomping .333 winning percentage since December 1. (7 wins out of 21 games.) Maybe they win 4 out of the 7 on the upcoming home stand?

Even with that, a turnaround that puts us in the playoffs is a pretty big mountain to climb. It will be worth watching however.....

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Blowyou gets his wish. Traded to someone for nothing. Hopefully we see some of the ahl guys brought up to see where they are at.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
True it's only 4 points but the Sabres have a whomping .333 winning percentage since December 1. (7 wins out of 21 games.) Maybe they win 4 out of the 7 on the upcoming home stand?

Even with that, a turnaround that puts us in the playoffs is a pretty big mountain to climb. It will be worth watching however.....

It's not that big of a mountain to climb in that they only need to jump over one team to get there.

It isn't like they need 6 points and to jump 5 teams while doing so to get there.

Heck, Buffalo is 6 pts behind Toronto and they have one more point over the last 10 games than the Leafs. So......

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Based on the past month or so, we will be selling Scandella and Sheary (hopefully).
Let's not do that please.
7948026be9.png

Bufbro

Jun 19, 2018
I'm kind of hoping that we do very little. This team isn't ready to compete for a cup and that's the goal. You look around at all the potential in mitts, dahlin, Tage, pilut, Eichel maybe Nylander and how old they are... It's kind of sobering. I'm willing to wait out this year and enjoy the progress

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
I don’t think we do much. I think Scandella days are done here in buffalo and will shipped out with a plus for another defenceman.

Besides this I don’t think we do anything. Botts doesn’t seem like a GM to make moves for no reason.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Taking acting classes to look angry when cameras cut into his suite at Keybank center.

Actually I hope they dont waste any assets for rentals.
I believe its too late, this team is too inconsistent to make up ground.
Barring a winning streak of some sorts the teams in front of us are either deeper in talent, better coached or both.
There is always a chance but I wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited:

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
What will JB do before the trade deadline?

Well, I'd imagine he's going to take that time to evaluate the current roster, see who's been floating, who's been acting like a pylon, who's been a turnover machine.
Then Identify the one player off in the locker room who gave their all on the ice but are going through the annual "I played in Buffalo" depression syndrome and #$%^ -can him either at the deadline or in the off season...………….

For what it's worth, this season, my money's on Larsson.

Reactions: sabremike

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'm not sure he'll do much. He should be making call-ups to see if any of the youngins can take on a role with the big club. Of course he's taking his slow ass time with it, and the team is suffering because of it. Trades will likely be done in the offseason, or on draft day.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
I honestly think Botterrill is under no pressure. f*** Harrington!

If there's a trade available to improve your team for the FUTURE, make it, otherwise being patient right now may very well be your best bet.

Certainly rentals for futures seems like a disastrous idea!

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
I don't believe we make any big moves other than moving things around with Rochester. I do think we'll move a prospect in Rochester and some picks for a middle pairing forward with term.

Nothing too out of control, but enough to set things up for next year.

Endless Ike

Jul 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
Trading a first so that we can have the honor of losing in the first round of the playoffs would be criminal.

Team has way too many holes still. Let’s get some NHL caliber players and get out from under some of these horrendous contracts before blowing our wad.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
I still want Skinner to make a handshake deal and come back after being rented.
This would be the ideal situation for me. Team is a few points out, we sell him to a team we have a good association with for a less than market value deal with both parties knowing Skinner comes back July 1. Maybe like Skinner for Boris Katchouk + 2021 2nd?

I'd try to sell the UFA to be forwards (Pominville + Skinner) for futures. Even if we get a late pick(5th +) for Pomms I would take it and call a kid up. If Sobotka can be dealt for futures do it as well.

Whatever D-man is sold off (Beaulieu, Scandella) he should be flipped for a forward. Whether it's flipping them for someone who's struggling but still has upside or for someone who looks to be a bottom sixer as long as it's someone who can play forward at the NHL level in a role that needs to be filled. Maybe target a RW to go with Larsson and Girgs.

Either way, don't sell futures for short term gains. Any trade discussed for a player with term will end up happening at the draft I think.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This would be the ideal situation for me. Team is a few points out, we sell him to a team we have a good association with for a less than market value deal with both parties knowing Skinner comes back July 1. Maybe like Skinner for Boris Katchouk + 2021 2nd?

If Winnipeg wants to be buyers, that would seem to be the ideal spot to send Skinner if the Sabres are confident that they can re-sign him on 7/1.

The Jets have cap space at the deadline to absorb Skinner for the remainder of this season and then they have a cap mess to deal with this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad