What will JB do before the trade deadline?

What will Botterill do before the trade deadline?

• Add some viable top 4 type D by giving up at least a 1st

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pull a Tim Murray

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
If Winnipeg wants to be buyers, that would seem to be the ideal spot to send Skinner if the Sabres are confident that they can re-sign him on 7/1.

The Jets have cap space at the deadline to absorb Skinner for the remainder of this season and then they have a cap mess to deal with this summer.
It's better to teach the kids how to play grinding hockey in a fight for 9th place than give them an excuse to take a back-seat for the rest of the season with no expectations.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It's better to teach the kids how to play grinding hockey in a fight for 9th place than give them an excuse to take a back-seat for the rest of the season with no expectations.

If they aren't going to make the playoffs, it is shortsighted to not get something for a UFA-to-be.

If they miss the playoffs and Skinner walks as a UFA, that is a huge failure by Botterill, IMO.

sabresnyper

Jun 23, 2009
Syracuse, NY
Skinner will be signed. We will try to offload dead weight/vets who are UFA for something, likely to bolster a Roch playoff run.

Pilut will be sent down for the playoffs, assuming the NHL club doesn’t make it.

Deals for the offseason and draft are already being discussed.

/every TDL/Off season

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
If they aren't going to make the playoffs, it is shortsighted to not get something for a UFA-to-be.

If they miss the playoffs and Skinner walks as a UFA, that is a huge failure by Botterill, IMO.
Trading Skinner is a huge failure too.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Trading Skinner is a huge failure too.

Not if extension talks aren't going well and the team continues to slip further and further away from a playoff spot.

If Skinner and his agent want 8 yrs and $10M per and the team is 10+ points out of a playoff spot at the deadline, what do you think Botterill should do?

Reactions: VaporTrail

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Not if extension talks aren't going well and the team continues to slip further and further away from a playoff spot.

If Skinner and his agent want 8 yrs and $10M per and the team is 10+ points out of a playoff spot at the deadline, what do you think Botterill should do?
At that point Botterill has already failed.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
At that point Botterill has already failed.

He can't control what Skinner and his agent ask for. Skinner is t-2nd in the NHL in goals this season. I expect him to ask for the moon.

And the team is 4 pts out of a playoff spot and they have been really bad for a while. With only 7 pts in their last 10 games, signs aren't pointing up unless they can really get rolling during the 7 game homestand to start February.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
He can't control what Skinner and his agent ask for. Skinner is t-2nd in the NHL in goals this season. I expect him to ask for the moon.

And the team is 4 pts out of a playoff spot and they have been really bad for a while. With only 7 pts in their last 10 games, signs aren't pointing up unless they can really get rolling during the 7 game homestand to start February.
The team being bad is Botterill's responsibility. We can't keep trading good players for magic beans.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I think the idea is that if you are unable to sign Skinner, then the fruits of using assets on 1 year of Jeff Skinner isn't that great, especially when you aren't actively trying to improve your team to make the playoffs that same season. If you have to trade him at the TDL, that means you aren't going to be able to get him to agree to a good contract for term or money right there. Then you're taking the risk that Skinner will do a "handshake agreement" to come here, but then there's a variable of Skinner possibly increasing his value on the market. Instead of looking at 8 million which you couldn't get him to agree to right away, if someone is willing to give him 9-9.5 he may take the better deal, which Botts probably wouldn't agree to, or he would at least be at a disadvantage in a bidding war. Of course, there's the probability that Skinner doesn't mesh with the team he is traded to and sees that he was exceptionally well off in Buffalo, and he could come back.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
It's not that big of a mountain to climb in that they only need to jump over one team to get there.

It isn't like they need 6 points and to jump 5 teams while doing so to get there.

Heck, Buffalo is 6 pts behind Toronto and they have one more point over the last 10 games than the Leafs. So......

Didn't see the game but Leafs 6 Caps 3 last night. Realize it was a b2b travel situation for the Caps coming off an emotional loss to the Sharks. But I can't see the Sabres pulling off anything close to what TML did last night.

And I was being kind to assume we'll win 4 out of the 7 game homestead. Three wins is more likely in my mind.

But, you are definitely able to assess this more optimistically than I can. All kudos to ya!

And respect! :thumbu:

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Didn't see the game but Leafs 6 Caps 3 last night. Realize it was a b2b travel situation for the Caps coming off an emotional loss to the Sharks. But I can't see the Sabres pulling off anything close to what TML did last night.

And I was being kind to assume we'll win 4 out of the 7 game homestead. Three wins is more likely in my mind.

But, you are definitely able to assess this more optimistically than I can. All kudos to ya!

And respect! :thumbu:

Toronto as a team didn't overly impress me last night. BUT, I noticed an improved Nylander and a more engaged Matthews. That was the driving force behind the team last year, and if they are getting to that point again, then Toronto with a consistent Marner and Tavares and these two guys are going to be trouble.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Toronto as a team didn't overly impress me last night. BUT, I noticed an improved Nylander and a more engaged Matthews. That was the driving force behind the team last year, and if they are getting to that point again, then Toronto with a consistent Marner and Tavares and these two guys are going to be trouble.

Matthews-Marner combo pays immediate dividends for Maple Leafs - Sportsnet.ca

Babcock put Marner with Matthews to help wake him up and it worked for a game.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
The team being bad is Botterill's responsibility. We can't keep trading good players for magic beans.
If he doesn't sign until the TDL what else can you do?
You wasted assets for 1 year of Skinner gaining propbably not even a playoff spot.
You have to trade him if he isnt signed or we will end up with nothing.
Best to worst case:
1. Signs w Buf
2. Traded at TDL
3. Walks

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
If he doesn't sign until the TDL what else can you do?
You wasted assets for 1 year of Skinner gaining propbably not even a playoff spot.
You have to trade him if he isnt signed or we will end up with nothing.
Best to worst case:
1. Signs w Buf
2. Traded at TDL
3. Walks
So you trade Skinner. And then what? What is the plan?

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
So you trade Skinner. And then what? What is the plan?
I don't know what their plan is given how badly they assessed the readiness of prospects and the level of play of Sobotka/Berglund and their inability to make any moves before its nearly too late.
I guess the combination of rookie coach and rookie GM does not bode well.
They both seem not the obvious leader types.
Skinner: if you cant sign him you have to trade him but overpaying to sign might also cost you down the road.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
The challenge of trading Skinner at the TDL is that he has exploded by being paired with an elite playmaking center. Most teams would have a set top line going into the POs and likely not want to chance that he falls off the cliff on a lower line. Will they get something? Sure, but it is not going to be as valuable as the contribution he is making now and there is no guarantee that he resigns after the season. Rock meet Hard Place, Hard Place Rock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->