What was your breaking point with Chia Pet?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Manning and Koskinen. The Manning trade turned me from ok with him staying to he needs to go. There was 0 logic behind that trade. Then the Koskinen extension pushed me to he needs to go now

space321

May 11, 2011
Mine was the Hall trade.

Reinhart trade I was somewhat skeptical but ultimately we didn't give up any roster players so I thought if Reinhart could play at least 2nd pairing, we would be good. But yah that didn't happen. Once he traded Hall I definitely knew that we were f***ed.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Summer 2017 for me too. I didn't like the hire, but at least I followed the logic of some of his moves, kind of, and obviously the results were there in 2016-17. He then doubles down on his stupidity to break up a winning team for no f***ing reason and fails to actually address any problems or get any discounts and we all saw the result.

Edit: I was losing my mind in rage when he traded Hall though so maybe then. I just changed course a bit by the playoffs of 2017, cause, y'know, playoffs.

Reactions: ohheyhemsky

Fmrnuckfan95

Dec 16, 2018
Edmonton
Not only did he trade for bad players, he traded for bad OVERPAID players. This team, ranked last in the league statistically when McDavid is not on the ice, is a cap team....

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
In general he is a poor negotiator, over pays players thereby handcuffing the team from signing better players. Poor pro scouting,, Makes bad calls on trades and always seem to downgrade whenever he makes a trade. Does a better job at really small trades, PTO's and signing college players. So so amateur scouting. All in all a poor GM as he is quite illogical in his thinking.

Boom not bust

Nov 17, 2018
Edmonton
I was actually really excited when he came to Edmonton so I had a long ways to go to reach my breaking point.

Soured on him in the Hall for Larsson trade. Everyone in the hockey world, every casual hockey fan, knew he was gave up a much better player than he got. In a one for one trade.

The last few months it is evident that he was flailing and was just trying whatever, and making one poor decision after another. It was so unprofessional and really he lost all credibility. I can't imagine him ever being a GM again. Breaking point was trading for Manning, the one guy McDavid (rightfully) feuded with and had a terrible contract to yet. I pretty much took a break from the Oilers since and am just coming around again now.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
At the time they fired Todd, we pretty much all knew he had to go too. But no, they had to wait until he screwed up royally about three or four more transactions.

Reactions: oobga

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
The way he handled the summer of 2017 told me that he wasn't the right guy for the job. I still don't understand why they didn't sign a decent defender after Sekera was hurt or address the lack of depth on the wings after sending Eberle & Pouliot or add another respected veteran after sending Hendricks packing or sign a backup goaltender who could push Brossoit for playing time. None of the moves he made that summer made any sense at all.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I stuck with him for too long but trading for Manning was the end for me. Made 0 sense.

Reactions: RegDunlop

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
He lost me when he traded away Eberle for Strome. Showed me he didn't have a plan at all moving forward.

Every move since then reinforced this idea, but now that I look back it is pretty clear that if he did have a long term plan, his plan was full of holes.

In 2015 I could confidently say the Oilers were fine at center (RNH, McDavid, Drai) and had some decent wingers (Eberle, Hall). We had terrible defense with some decent prospects. We needed a goalie. So the team had holes but we had a lot of assets in 2015 to trade.

Now we have center depth and nothing else with next to no assets. We are actually in worse shape 4 years later and have done the disservice of wanting 4+ years of a young players career.

Reactions: harpoon and Jamin

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
For me, it wasn't a single moment. I disliked the Reinhart trade, but was actually optimistic about the hall trade: McDavid's team, and I thought Larsson would make for a more stable D.

Pretty much Downhill since. Moving Eberle for that price was dumb, and his inaction was aggravating (but it may have been a blessing in disguise in hindsight... He's been atrocious at asset management).

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
Caggiula-Manning

Traded away our 4th most productive winger since 2016, on a team desperate for secondary scoring, for an overpaid 7/8 d-man that didn't play for weeks on the worst team in the west. That d-man being Brandon Manning of all people was just a big F-you to McDavid with a cherry on top

I think this was the last straw for alot of fans, after this trade, the hashtag #firechia started exponentially growing by the thousands each day
My exact sentiments. Last straw for me no doubt, unfortunately Brandon Manning is still here, hopefully he'll be gone as well asap! Can't stand him

Reactions: RegDunlop

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I admit, I was one of the last to turn against Chia Pet and it was he last few moves that sent me over the edge against him....

Strome for Spooner--I liked Strome and from what I saw of Spooner he was not the same player Chia Pet had in Boston
Cags for Manning--we had no depth up front and although injured--we had a lot of D running around and guys on the farm that could fill in--and the fact Manning has one year left was a kicker. CAgs at 1.6 was not great but okay for a 3rd liner--Manning, when our team is healthy--will be our number 7 D and I believe Jones ot Bear should be getting cups of coffee over that--it might just be me

Then is is the goalie situation--I am still not a Kosk fan and have my concerns--some blame the D in front of him--but I think it is him. Signing him and more or less telling Talbot he is done was done the wrong way. Talbot has been a good soldier and his wife a breath of fresh air when it comes to wives--they deserved better

the Wideman/Petrovic trade was just moving chairs on the titanic

When he traded Hall for Larsson. Everyone at the time knew that was a terrible deal for the Oilers

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Caggs/manning and Wideman/Petro put me past the point of no return.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Man, some of you drank the kool aid for a long time. Back to back summers of the Reinhart trade plus the Hall trade/Lucic signing, I knew if we kept this guy any longer, he'd continue to kill our team. Those three moves are each bad enough to be the defining black mark on any regular GM's portfolio. He has about 5 more really stupid moves he can add onto his. In 12 months he turned

16th (Barzal, who was a consensus top 10 pick available at 16)
Hall

Into:
Reinhart
Larsson
Lucic

those 12 months should have been his stamp of death in this town.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I absolutely loathed the Reinhart trade. I called it that day Marincin was a better player at the time than Reinhart would ever develop into. But that wasn't a breaking point. I accepted that even a good GM can make a bad deal.

When he traded Hall I lost it. I almost got banned from this forum because of how contentious things got around here.

But then the Oilers made the playoffs so obviously I was willing to give him more rope.

But the summer after the Oilers made the playoffs was just a disaster. The Eberle for Strome swap was horrendous (I see at least one poster in here who defended it for months when it happened... just saying). That combined with the fact that after the playoffs ended Chiarelli admitted that the defense (with Sekera) wasn't good enough to compete for a cup. And then knowing Sekera was going to miss ~8 months of the season and doing absolutely nothing to fix the problem.

The Draisaitl contract was also a masterful display of a failure to properly negotiate. Signed him to an unprecedented deal in the middle of the summer. A competent GM would have saved an easy ~$1M on that deal. In the long term not the biggest deal, but it was a sure sign of the GMs inability to be a tough negotiator in either contract negotiations or trades.

Combined with a handful of bad decisions that saw the team uniformly downgrade at basically every position over that summer. Their plan to rely on Puljujarvi/Slepyshev/Caggiula to be top 9 RWers was so obviously doomed to failure. It was wild that anyone thought it was going to work.

That was it for me. Basically every single move he made that summer screamed of incompetence.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad