What was your breaking point with Chia Pet?

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Absolute breaking point? Manning trade.

Near breaking point? Not firing McLellan for a year after it was apparent he'd lost the team.

Point of serious questioning? Not replacing Eberle after trading him for Strome.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Absolute breaking point? Manning trade.

Near breaking point? Not firing McLellan for a year after it was apparent he'd lost the team.

Point of serious questioning? Not replacing Eberle after trading him for Strome.

The Manning trade was the tipping point for me.

Indefensible to give Chicago a player they coveted for a healthy scratch.

Reactions: RegDunlop and TB12

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Summer of 17
1) He knows Sekera is out for most of the season. Signs no replacement.
2) He knows we rode Talbot raw... signs Montoya as a backup.
3) Trades Eberle short after publicly slandering his effort, saves cap that isn't needed (or used) until a summer later. Does nothing with that flexibility

That was what got us here. If we signed a vet D, we probably don't monumentally collapse in the first 20 games... confidence remains high... Eberle reminds us that he's a great regular season scorer... can be traded for decent futures at the deadline... a real backup goalie helps Talbot remain sane in what is an off year and we probably squeak into the playoffs knowing there are real weaknesses in the depth, but at least we have some non-depressed assets and cap to address them in summer 18.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
For me, it was the off season for the 17-18 season. He knew damn well Sekera would be out until February and did nothing to address it. That was it for me there, then he had the lack of brain cells to do it AGAIN this off season.

Reactions: RegDunlop

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Middle of 16-17 season when I saw that Hall for Larsson was a losing trade (even when we were winning despite of Chiarelli).

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Summer of 17
3) Trades Eberle short after publicly slandering his effort, saves cap that isn't needed (or used) until a summer later. Does nothing with that flexibility

That was what got us here. If we signed a vet D, we probably don't monumentally collapse in the first 20 games... confidence remains high... Eberle reminds us that he's a great regular season scorer... can be traded for decent futures at the deadline... a real backup goalie helps Talbot remain sane in what is an off year and we probably squeak into the playoffs knowing there are real weaknesses in the depth, but at least we have some non-depressed assets and cap to address them in summer 18.

He gave up assets to get Montoya. I believe it was a 4th or 5th round pick.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I like Rishaug's from this morning. It was just one move it was a collective bunch of moves that went in a direction that brought in less and less skill up front and never found the proper fit for defense.

I don't know that any gm could be held accountable for just one move. It really is a collection of their work and with PC the plan just never was really there

If I were to pick one it would be him not addressing the defense this year. Even with a healthy Sekera our defense had massive question marks. Not bringing in a legit top 4 to add depth and stability to our defense really has hurt us.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
For me, it was the off season for the 17-18 season. He knew damn well Sekera would be out until February and did nothing to address it. That was it for me there, then he had the lack of brain cells to do it AGAIN this off season.
This exactly - this is when we knew it would be a repeat of last year at best.

Reactions: McFuhryous

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Summer of 17

That was seriously as awful a summer as there has been around here. The Oilers had the chance to build on a successful year and he decided to not help in the team in any meaningful way.

Reactions: RegDunlop and Zaddy

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I honestly still feel like 16-17 was more of a mirage than anything.

Talbot played out of his mind and Klefbom was fully healthy and they would get juuuust enough offence at the right times from supplemental sources to look better than they were.

The whole "experiment" of "lets build a big heavy team full of Lucics, Larssons, and Reinharts around McDavid" IMO was always going to blow up in the Oilers face sooner or later.

That was never going to work. No one built a team like that around Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, or Ovechkin and ever had any success with it.

I still remember watching that team during that season and thinking they were a lottery team when McDavid is off the ice.
Now days they're an AHL team when McDavid is off the ice.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Reinhart.

The moment he made that trade, I knew that he likely wasn't the saviour.

Hall was the killer.
Yup, this is exactly it for me. I muffled my hatred when we made the play-offs because I wanted to believe in the process, but I've never forgiven him for that move and have been calling him out since that trade. Also, the Lucic signing. When it was clear that we essentially moved Hall out to make room for that signing, I knew.

Reactions: Aerrol

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Reinhart and Hall/Larsson for me. It's when I lost all faith in that piece of shit. I still can't believe he resigned Koski for so much, too.

Reactions: TFHockey

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I was upset about Hall. Concerned even. I mean, shipping out Hall for Lucic? Then in '17 as the season progressed I convinced myself that I am not in the locker room, I don't know the guys....and we made the playoffs. I was down on Ebs like everyone.....but hell....to liquidate him? Then do NOTHING. Sekera goes down again and NOTHING. The trades that make no sense, the inaction when of all times there needed to be action. We peaked quick.....and then slid even harder.

In the end Chiarelli reminded me of a fat bald Justin Trudeau with glasses.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Trade deadline of the 16/17 season.

I was very vocal on how I didn't think we should take for granted that we were in a playoff spot and should try and maximize the roster and try to go far. Instead he needed more time to "evaluate",

He then followed it up with a summer where he managed to make the team worst despite referencing the team having holes multiple times.

Good riddance.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Inaction during summer '17. Team was coming off their best reg season since 1987! and had a good playoff run for the first time in a decade and he did nothing to push them forward/keep them on the right track.
That was it for me as well. Back then he still had supporters but all that summer I argued to add a piece and keep the team rolling.

Instead he buys out Pouliot and trades Eberle so we head into the season down our first line rw and our 2nd line rw.

I cant remember what else he did that summer but I remember thinking the team needed help to maintain because everyone pretty much had a career year that playoff run and if anyone had a step back it could snowball for the team.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hall for Larsson. It was at that moment I totally lost any hope for the guy.

Reinhart deal set off big red flags but I actually justified it away like a fool. Thought it was Oilers former scouts in his ear + it was only one bad trade. Little did I know how much worse itd get

Reactions: Aerrol and space321
Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
I was done with Chia the moment he traded Hall and it only got worse. What a f***ing trainwreck of a time. His ass should have been fired so long ago.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Cagguila trade. It just didn’t make any sense and still doesn’t. At least all his other trades you could see the direction and the reasoning, even if he lost them. But this one was a straight up head scratcher.

Trade one of our only productive players for a 6/7 Dman that is a healthy scratch more than he plays. And lose cap space.

Eat my ass Peter. You f***ed us.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Mine was the Manning and Spooner trades and the trading away of mid round draft picks for nothing tangible in return.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
lots of breaking points. You could say the Larsson for Hall trade but we were curious , maybe he knows something we don't. Ends up he didnt. He just made the trade for the f*** of it.

For me it has to be his inability to sign or go after players this past season. Did absolutely nothing after a disastrous season and just sat on his hands. Bought in players who dont move the needle. Then the awful Koskinen deal just 24 hours before getting canned. WTF, was he even in on that signing. That signing just handicapped this team for next season.

at least 5 breaking points with him , too many to go through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad