What was your breaking point with Chia Pet?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I admit, I was one of the last to turn against Chia Pet and it was he last few moves that sent me over the edge against him....

Strome for Spooner--I liked Strome and from what I saw of Spooner he was not the same player Chia Pet had in Boston
Cags for Manning--we had no depth up front and although injured--we had a lot of D running around and guys on the farm that could fill in--and the fact Manning has one year left was a kicker. CAgs at 1.6 was not great but okay for a 3rd liner--Manning, when our team is healthy--will be our number 7 D and I believe Jones ot Bear should be getting cups of coffee over that--it might just be me

Then is is the goalie situation--I am still not a Kosk fan and have my concerns--some blame the D in front of him--but I think it is him. Signing him and more or less telling Talbot he is done was done the wrong way. Talbot has been a good soldier and his wife a breath of fresh air when it comes to wives--they deserved better

the Wideman/Petrovic trade was just moving chairs on the titanic

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Inaction during summer '17. Team was coming off their best reg season since the early 90's and had a good playoff run and he did nothing to push them forward.

I honestly still feel like 16-17 was more of a mirage than anything.

Talbot played out of his mind and Klefbom was fully healthy and they would get juuuust enough offence at the right times from supplemental sources to look better than they were.

The whole "experiment" of "lets build a big heavy team full of Lucics, Larssons, and Reinharts around McDavid" IMO was always going to blow up in the Oilers face sooner or later.

That was never going to work. No one built a team like that around Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, or Ovechkin and ever had any success with it.

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
I honestly still feel like 16-17 was more of a mirage than anything.

Talbot played out of his mind and Klefbom was fully healthy and they would get juuuust enough offence at the right times from supplemental sources to look better than they were.

The whole "experiment" of "lets build a big heavy team full of Lucics, Larssons, and Reinharts around McDavid" IMO was always going to blow up in the Oilers face sooner or later.

That was never going to work. No one built a team like that around Gretzky, Lemieux, Crosby, or Ovechkin and ever had any success with it.

I agree that they were very lucky with injuries and Talbot having his best year was a huge boon. What made me really love that team though was they were doing very un-Oiler like things like winning tight games, battling back to win games and having several decent sized win streaks.

Reactions: Jamin

Numz

Oct 7, 2013
Boston Bruins acquireDateDallas Stars acquire
Boston_Bruins.gif
Loui Eriksson
Joe Morrow
Reilly Smith
Matt Fraser
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
July 4, 2013
Tyler Seguin
Rich Peverley
Ryan Button
Dallas_Stars.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Was down hill after drafting McDavid, but the point I knew for sure that this team wouldn't be good was when he re-signed Russell.

Basically the off-season after the playoffs that year. It was clear the forwards and the defense weren't good enough and he chose to make the forwards worse and stand pat with his defense.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Boston Bruins acquireDateDallas Stars acquire
Boston_Bruins.gif
Loui Eriksson
Joe Morrow
Reilly Smith
Matt Fraser
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
July 4, 2013
Tyler Seguin
Rich Peverley
Ryan Button
Dallas_Stars.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

This always sat badly in the pit of my stomach but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt that he had learned his lesson.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Cagguila trade, not like other trades where he traded the better player. Just litterally turning a positive asset into a negative asset.

Last edited:
Reactions: RegDunlop

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I will say I remember saying Strome for Eberle would happen on this board like a month before hand and it would be strictly 1-for-1 and people saying "nah that won't happen! That's a terrible deal" lol.

Reactions: Aerrol

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
December for me.

Not that Zykov was anything special, but the events around waiving him showed there was no plan.

He was waived the same day Chiasson went on IR (the day after he was injured), and then Cagguila traded days later. You went from having okay depth upfront to none.

And the all he got out of it was Manning and a swap of Wideman for Petrovic...

This team lost Klefbom and Sekera, their two best pick movers and OFD, and Chiarelli answer to that was Manning and Petrovic... Yeah, that should get you shown the door.

The continued rushing of Pulju and Yama, when they should be in Bakersfield was the other big one for me.

Reactions: RegDunlop and nabob

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
There were many instances of my faith in his ability to GM being greatly diminished, I think the first significant one was the Hall trade, but we did win quite a few games the season after so I definitely didn't fully turn against him yet. I think it might be the Eberle trade that turned me basically fully against him, if we used the cap space wisely it was semi salvageable and Eberle as we all know wasn't a fantastic player due to his one dimensional nature, but the general skill exodus trend became very apparent at that moment to me and cause of the contracts he was signing over his tenure it was clear we'd have trouble replenishing the skill we lost due to cap constraints.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Caggiula-Manning

Traded away our 4th most productive winger since 2016, on a team desperate for secondary scoring, for an overpaid 7/8 d-man that didn't play for weeks on the worst team in the west. That d-man being Brandon Manning of all people was just a big F-you to McDavid with a cherry on top

I think this was the last straw for alot of fans, after this trade, the hashtag #firechia started exponentially growing by the thousands each day

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
December for me.

Not that Zykov was anything special, but the events around waiving him showed there was no plan.

He was waived the same day Chiasson went on IR (the day after he was injured), and then Cagguila traded days later. You went from having okay depth upfront to none.

And the all he got out of it was Manning and a swap of Wideman for Petrovic...

This team lost Klefbom and Sekera, their two best pick movers and OFD, and Chiarelli answer to that was Manning and Petrovic... Yeah, that should get you shown the door.

The continued rushing of Pulju and Yama, when they should be in Bakersfield was the other big one for me.

I know you guys don't like when I say it. But I talked to someone involved in the hockey world (none reporter) and he said he would never have Zykov anywhere near is his team. Sounded to me Zykov has ice off distraction issues that concerns teams. I was not told what they are

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I know you guys don't like when I say it. But I talked to someone involved in the hockey world (none reporter) and he said he would never have Zykov anywhere near is his team. Sounded to me Zykov has ice off distraction issues that concerns teams. I was not told what they are

Considering the run around the kid has had as a pro in NA, that wouldn’t be a massive surprise, if true.

But it still ties back to my point. Moves are done in a knee jerk approach and there’s seemingly zero thought put in.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
When we traded a 1st and a 2nd for a player who was clearly in the process of busting...

Obviously Hall for Larsson was ridiculous value wise.

I will admit I forgave him when we made the playoffs... but it’s been nothing but bad moves since.

Last edited:

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
1st near breaking point: Paying the equivalent of what Calgary paid for Hamilton for Reinhart.

I gave him a second chance, then ...

Hall for Larsson and them the ensuing Lucic signing

That was when I knew I wanted him gone

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Caggiula-Manning

Traded away our 4th most productive winger since 2016, on a team desperate for secondary scoring, for an overpaid 7/8 d-man that didn't play for weeks on the worst team in the west. That d-man being Brandon Manning of all people was just a big F-you to McDavid with a cherry on top

I think this was the last straw for alot of fans, after this trade, the hashtag #firechia started exponentially growing by the thousands each day

That was the final straw for me as well. Most of his other moves were not good, but this one had absolutely no possible justification.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I was screaming for chias head 10 seconds after the hall trade. I forgave the reinhart trade because chia was really new and was likely getting bad advice from the OBC, but the hall trade was it for me. Top 10-15 winger in the world for an average second pairing dman. Atrocious.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
The Caggiula/Manning deal. I've hated most of his moves but have been able to justify them (to an extent).

The Manning deal just made absolutely no sense. Gain cap, acquire yet another LD, and get a player that McDavid dislikes. Showed me that Chiarelli just had no clue.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The Caggiula/Manning deal. I've hated most of his moves but have been able to justify them (to an extent).

The Manning deal just made absolutely no sense. Gain cap, acquire yet another LD, and get a player that McDavid dislikes. Showed me that Chiarelli just had no clue.

cags/manning deal had me asking WTF

team is in cap hell, no depth up front and he trades a FW for a more expensive d-man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->