What was Brad Treliving thinking?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I admitted it was a bad trade. I just said that you can't say it was Barzal and a pick because it wasn't. Especially considering the rumour that our scouting staff wanted Erikson-Ek if we made that pick. Chiarelli didn't trust our scouting staff at that point, he took bad advice from someone on Reinhart. Honestly, given our drafting record they probably would have reached for someone like Paul Bittner (who some thought would go late in the first) anyway and blown it regardless. It's not rose coloured glasses, I certainly see the flaws in our organization and talk about them frequently. I just find it funny when people list good signings (Lucic) as bad and trades that worked out for both teams (Larsson-Hall) as bad.

Connor and Boeser were still on the board. You could have picked one of the other two if it wasn't Barzal.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It was a good trade at the time. It looks worse now. I may look better later.

Imo it was a funky idea to begin with. If the Oilers had him, he'd look better because we need him more. Calgary's D depth is too strong, and that is to their benefit, but often when teams are overly deep, there will be some players who fall to the wayside because there are only so many prime minutes to go around.

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
the flems paid a #1 defenceman price for a #4 (at best) defenceman. Snow fleeced Tre lol! this will be a hilarious bump in the summer if that pick becomes a top 10 or Dahlin!!

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
the flems paid a #1 defenceman price for a #4 (at best) defenceman. Snow fleeced Tre lol! this will be a hilarious bump in the summer if that pick becomes a top 10 or Dahlin!!

You think you can get a #1 defencemen for a first and two seconds?

The Flames will figure it out. Too much talent to miss the playoffs.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Always seemed like a win now type trade, even though Calgary is in no spot to win now, still a rebuilding club.

Even if they're still rebuilding, their core is too far along to keep waiting for pieces to come out of the draft. Maybe the assets could have been better spent on a RWer, but trading the picks still makes sense

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Even if they're still rebuilding, their core is too far along to keep waiting for pieces to come out of the draft. Maybe the assets could have been better spent on a RWer, but trading the picks still makes sense

Eh, I don't know if I agree with that. Monahan, Gaudreau, Hamilton, Brodie, Tkachuk, Bennett (if he can turn it around) are all quality young guys. Outside of Giordano I don't see any aging core pieces, but I think he will age well.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Tj Brodie, Dougie Hamilton and Travis Hamonic are 3 of the most overrated D men in the nhl all for different reasons. Giordano is the only one who’s legitimately a great hockey player year in year out.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

In what world does a 1st and two 2nds get you a 1D? I agree that it’s a slight overpay given his current performance. Vancouver gave McCann (a 1st round pick), a 2nd and a 4th for Gudbranson lol

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
In what world does a 1st and two 2nds get you a 1D? I agree that it’s a slight overpay given his current performance. Vancouver gave McCann (a 1st round pick), a 2nd and a 4th for Gudbranson lol
Yeah, not sure why people think that is a #1 return. Maybe the return for a #1 at the trade deadline, but not at the draft. People seem to be ignoring the fact that Hamonic had 3 bargain years left on his contract. The cost paid was for that of a 3-4 defenseman on a favorable contract throughout his prime years.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Yeah, not sure why people think that is a #1 return. Maybe the return for a #1 at the trade deadline, but not at the draft. People seem to be ignoring the fact that Hamonic had 3 bargain years left on his contract. The cost paid was for that of a 3-4 defenseman on a favorable contract throughout his prime years.

It's especially true as Calgary's first was valued as that of a playoff team. So mid to late first and two 2nds. In no way does the get you a legit #2, let alone a #1, particularly when we're a cost controlled defencemen.

Calgary paid a fair price for a second pairing d-man on a good contact.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Connor and Boeser were still on the board. You could have picked one of the other two if it wasn't Barzal.
Could have. If Chiarelli had a crystal ball, I'm sure he would. He made a bad move by trading the pick rather than taking a number of guys, the point was that we can't say it was Barzal because we don't know if the Oilers had any intention of picking him.

Jan 29, 2009
Edmonton/Calgary
Most people were critical of the trade, but we are getting a glimpse now of how good this D core can be.. They've been lights out since the Oilers game a few weeks ago. I figured Hammer and Brodie would never work, but they've been great of late, so just maybe they needed time to get use to each other and for Hammer to learn the system. If the Flames turn it around make the playoffs.. The 16th+ pick probably won't be as good as Hammer.. even though he's only a #3 D man.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Odd timing for this thread, obviously it would have been better if the 1st was protected. However as many have pointed out over the past 10 games Hammer is playing as advertised, and for those stat watchers pointing out his 1 goal and 5 points, that's not what he was brought in for, it's his defensive play which as stated has improved much over the past 10 games. Anyone else who says different either doesn't watch the games or is just a bias Oilers fan.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah the Flames advanced stats have been out of this world the last 8 or so games.

Once Gaudreau/Monahan start scoring again and their PP gets on track this team is going to start crushing people.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Hey!! How about we wait until the draft and see where the picks are and who the isles get before people say its as bad as Reinhard( lmao). the oilers knew who was available and still decided to give it up for an underachieving player, its not even a comparable

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Imagine if the Oilers could have kept Hall and given up a top 10 protected first round pick and a 2nd round pick for Larsson? That's essentially what the Flames did for Hamonic.
Oilers need cheap young players on ELC’s can’t afford to trade picks to keep expensive players. Plus Larsson is better than Hamonic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad