What was Brad Treliving thinking?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Hamonic's been our second best defenseman. The first should have been protected for this draft though

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Yamamoto has played 9 NHL is going to the WJHC..but yes, slag on him

Who was demoted for not being ready.
Dube's going to the WJHC too?

A guy came in here saying Calgary's forwards are in rough shape while living in a glass house known as the Edmonton development system. If you storm the gates, you better be ready to take a crossbow bolt to the chest from time to time.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
lol wat

I wouldn't call this 'great' for the price they paid (1st, 2nd, 2nd)

1 goal, 3 assists, 4 pts, -6 in 30 games.

He's always been an ok #4 defenceman but Tre saw him as a #2, #1 defenceman lol and paid the price like he was one.

now for kicks a giggles...
'dim jim' traded Andrey Pedan for Derrick Pouliot, he's got 2 goals, 8 assists, 10 pts in 30 games. :thumbu::popcorn:

When was the time a true #1 dman with 3 years of a great contract got traded for a pick that is likely to be 10-20, and 2 picks in the 40-50 range? HF seems to assume that all those picks will meet their potential. Odds are that those picks will produce a better player than TH is low IMO. Could definitely happen, but we'll see.

Evaluating TH by point production is pure folly.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Your definition of 'top scorer' is pretty loose...Mangiapane is 10th,

Way to manipulate facts.

Mangiapane is 8th in total points, actually as he less GP than the two guys tied with him due to playing the pacific division schedule.

He is also 1.08 ppg while some guys "ahead of him" are less than that with more GP (2nd/3rd/5th place @ 1.03, 4th place @ 1.07, 7th place @ 0.966 PPG

The only other guy under 22 in that top 8 group is Jack Roslovic (3rd place with worse PPG). The rest are experienced career AHLers not second year pros.

Mangiapane is pretty much one of the most dominant 21-and-under players in the AHL, period.

Basically Mangiapane is a top 3 scorer in the AHL with the two guys with higher PPG being 31 and 26 YO while he is 21.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
No I did.

It was pretty clear he wasn't ready which really isn't an insult because 95% of guys from that draft weren't ready and there is no reason to think that a guy who deservedly was drafted at 22 6 months earlier would have been ready.
of course he wasn't ready...hence going back to junior

but his play in the pre-season warranted him getting some regular season games

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
of course he wasn't ready...hence going back to junior

but his play in the pre-season warranted him getting some regular season games

I would disagree as I think a small sample size like pre-season shouldn't trump everything that a player has done to that point or change the fact that he was a severely undersized 18 year old that likely needed a little more time to develop than even most 18 year olds that also aren't ready.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
tremendously low bar you're setting lol

Though both trades were with NYI, the similarities of the roster players end there. I agree it's a bad comparison. Russell on the other hand was mentioned earlier in the thread. I think at least there's a little more comparable there.

Both are top 4 players with similar contracts that have historically played as high as first pairing or criticized as being overpaid 3rd pairing at best. Both are defense first type players with a bit of sandpaper and both not without their warts. Both are fantastic people and perhaps underrated leaders in the locker room. IMO both teams are better with both guys on their roster for the prices they paid than without. (ie: Picks vs cap space)

We moved Russell for the equivalent of 2 seconds (2nd + Pollock and Jokkipakka) to the Stars.

We acquired Hamonic for the equivalent of a 1st and two 2nds (depending on conditions).

Is the difference in Russell and Hamonic a 1st? Not at all at the moment. However, I think Hamonic was a guy we needed on our roster and both Hamonic and Russell seem like guys who will be able to elevate their game once things settle down on the blue like. In Calgary, that's really figuring out GG's system and learning to play with a river gambler like Brodie. In Edmonton that's probably Sekara's return as well Larsson/Klefbom exiting their slump so that Russell isn't asked to play above his head constantly.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I actually think Hamonic has looked good in the last 5-7 games. Give him more time before we get the torches out. If anything Brodie makes far more frequent and obvious boneheaded plays, yet we are all fawning over him and saying he'll get better.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Calgary are so dependent on Giordano, who is starting to get up there in age, that they are in a mess now even though they have some young talent up front. They 're gonna have to perform some magic to shore up that defense or they're going no where.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Calgary are so dependent on Giordano, who is starting to get up there in age, that they are in a mess now even though they have some young talent up front. They 're gonna have to perform some magic to shore up that defense or they're going no where.

The f*** are you even talking about?

This is a "I don't watch the Flames, but think I should still comment" type post.

Before my post got derailed:
Hammer: The past 10 games:
16:47 ATOI 5v5
54.93% CF%
66.7% GF%
53.6% HDCF%

Every Flames Dman is currently +50% 5v5 except:
Bartkowski (popcorn, horrible, not NHL'er)
Stone (played with the aforementioned a lot)

Giordano plays less minutes than Brodie, Calgary's top 4 is separated by less than 45 seconds per game played from each other. Giordano is easily the best D Calgary has; but saying that they're dependent on him is just ignorant.

Once Calgary shelved Bartkowski, and gave Hammer 20 games to adjust to this system, they've been ticking. Over the past 10 games, Calgary's defensive structure has been absolutely tremendous. Their current problem is a useless powerplay.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
I don't even blame the PP on paper. I blame Monahan and Ferland.

They're the main finishers on the PP and are absolutely snake bitten. They can't put anything in the net 5 on 5 or on the PP.

I'd say that there are at least 2 or 3 glorious chances a game that those two have wiffed. I'd be livid if I was Johnny.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Think something's wrong with Monahan. Hasn't looked right lately. Been missing shots that he's usually deadly on.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Hamilton sucked when we first got him too. Hammer will come around.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Lol pretty cute coming from the prospect wasteland that is the Oilers.

F: not very good but when you look at how young are NHL forwards are it doesn’t really matter.

Dillon Dube
Andrew Mangiapane
Adam Ruzicka
Spencer Foo
(Not to mention that 2 of our forwards in our top 9 are over 25, zero are above 30)

D-we are stacked:

Adam Fox- best prospect in the league that no one talks about.
Valimaki
Kylington
Andersson

G- we are stacked:

Rittich
Gillies
Parsons - lots of people think he’s the best G prospect in hockey.

Sure people doubt Phillips, but I think he can make the big cut.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
I don't even blame the PP on paper. I blame Monahan and Ferland.

They're the main finishers on the PP and are absolutely snake bitten. They can't put anything in the net 5 on 5 or on the PP.

I'd say that there are at least 2 or 3 glorious chances a game that those two have wiffed. I'd be livid if I was Johnny.

I don't understand why Hamilton is not the #1D on the powerplay. Or even Giordano. Brodie is the third best option at that position. The entire first unit doesn't have a shot threat, so everyone knows it's just 'work it around until they centre to Monahan'.

Gio has a laser wrister, and Dougie has all the offensive skill in the world. Neither of them are that much worse than Brodie at gaining the zone. One of them should take his place.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Woodcroft might be the worst special teams coach in NHL history. How you manage to field a bottom feeder power play with Connor McDavid on your roster is mind boggling. Treliving is also an amateur compared to Chiarelli in terms of making braindead moves such as these gems:
Matt Barzal+33rd overall for Griffin Reinhart It was picks, we probably weren't picking Barzal.
Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson Good deal for both teams
Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome Had to trade Eberle, he asked for a trade and lost all motivation. And he played his value down
Justin Schultz for Matthew Cairns Schultz would have played himself out of the league if we kept him. Needed a change of scenery from losing so much.
Milan Lucic for 7x6 (how sad is it that this is probably the best move Chiarelli has made on this list) Good signing, why is it on the list?
Kris Russell for 4x4 Cap hit is right, only criticism might be length of the deal
Jonas Monster and Jussi Jokinen signed at all. Jonas was bad. Jokinen was a decent gamble on a capable veteran who fell of a cliff this year. It happens.
Buying out Benoit Pouliot despite having cap space Pouliot was awful for us most years. That was an awful signing. Keeping him wasn't necessary.

Which of those deals were bad exactly? The bad UFA signings I suppose and Reinhart for picks (can't say Barzal, no guarantee we would have picked him).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Which of those deals were bad exactly? The bad UFA signings I suppose and Reinhart for picks (can't say Barzal, no guarantee we would have picked him).

Independent of if Edmonton picked Barzal; they gave up a good pick for a guy that's not even remotely close to being an NHL'er/on their team. I do love the rose coloured glasses for sure though.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Cameron's a dumb coach, who looks like he shouldn't be near an NHL bench.

I can't believe the Senators had this moron as their head coach for over 1 .5 years. Just watch one of his interviews from that time, he's clueless.

Well he’s good friends with Melnyk. Melnyk essentially hired him as coach is the conclusion most have come to.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Independent of if Edmonton picked Barzal; they gave up a good pick for a guy that's not even remotely close to being an NHL'er/on their team. I do love the rose coloured glasses for sure though.
I admitted it was a bad trade. I just said that you can't say it was Barzal and a pick because it wasn't. Especially considering the rumour that our scouting staff wanted Erikson-Ek if we made that pick. Chiarelli didn't trust our scouting staff at that point, he took bad advice from someone on Reinhart. Honestly, given our drafting record they probably would have reached for someone like Paul Bittner (who some thought would go late in the first) anyway and blown it regardless. It's not rose coloured glasses, I certainly see the flaws in our organization and talk about them frequently. I just find it funny when people list good signings (Lucic) as bad and trades that worked out for both teams (Larsson-Hall) as bad.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
One of a TON of mistakes if anybody wants to list them lol. He's a WIZARD though right...

Not all WIZARDS are wise.

tim-the-enchanter-300x208.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad