What was Brad Treliving thinking?

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Seriously, to trade so many draft picks including an unprotected 1st rounder for a Dman that was always overrated and had poor underlying numbers and brings little to no offense is beyond me. Especially with 2018 being so deep, meaning if the Flames tanked this season they would have had a chance to pick a great Dman, and if they didn't, they'd have a chance to pick a much needed RHS top line potential forward.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Allowing someone to hire Dave "30th ranked PP" to run your PP is also ludicrous

BT is just like the Flames. Usually pretty good making smart moves but the massive brainfarts overshadow almost all the good.
Cameron's a dumb coach, who looks like he shouldn't be near an NHL bench.

I can't believe the Senators had this moron as their head coach for over 1 .5 years. Just watch one of his interviews from that time, he's clueless.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
general-manager-peter-chiarelli-of-the-boston-bruins-talks-on-the-picture-id102438418

ON THE PHONE:

Chia: *whispers sweet nothings to Treliving* dougie dougie hamilton so good
Treliving: uh huh uh huh oh yea oooh lala

#PraiseChia
He got the Bruins a cup, he got the Oilers back in the playoffs after so many miserable and meek seasons.
#PraiseChia

Reactions: A91

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Hamonic was pretty good when he was fully fit. The drop-off from their top 3 Dmen were supposedly substantial, so it made perfect sense to acquire him.

TheStroker

Jun 13, 2012
USA
From what I've heard, it's more a coaching issue then bad players. Poor coaching? I think their a team is in a funk ,but will come out of it and get a playoffs spot quite easily by season's end.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
One of a TON of mistakes if anybody wants to list them lol. He's a WIZARD though right...

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Hamonic is most certainly not the problem, we allowed 2 goals or less in 15 of 33 games this year, we have 16 wins.... we cant score. Still dont have a huge issue with the trade, i mean its not like we knew how bad our offense is suppose to be. GG and the staff is absolute trash at allowing the players to do what they are good at, our offense from the backend was top notch, he came in and now its non existent

lawrence

May 19, 2012
It was a risky move. Technically Calgary adds a top 4 who is in his prime to their line up without touching their roster. They are a better team on paper after this trade, but cost was high yes a 1st rounder

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Hamonic is most certainly not the problem, we allowed 2 goals or less in 15 of 33 games this year, we have 16 wins.... we cant score. Still dont have a huge issue with the trade, i mean its not like we knew how bad our offense is suppose to be. GG and the staff is absolute trash at allowing the players to do what they are good at, our offense from the backend was top notch, he came in and now its non existent

I don't get why Trev couldn't realize offense was an issue. We have a terrible bottom line. Our third line this season is looking great, but prior to the season started, our third line was terrible as well. Our 3M line is amazing (And even then more so defensively than offensively), and Gaudreau-Monahan together is a tough offensive top line, but Ferland isn't a top line material player. I was hoping for Necas at the draft actually, so we can develop him into our top line RWer, although I'm still very happy with Valimaki. I just wished that since we got a Dman in the draft, and Andersson was/is clearly ready, we shouldn't have went for Hamonic. Even before we got Hamonic, Flames had the league's deepest (Not best mind you just deepest, best goes to the Blues) RHD depth.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Hamonic was pretty good when he was fully fit. The drop-off from their top 3 Dmen were supposedly substantial, so it made perfect sense to acquire him.

Speaking of that, Brodie has been a disaster defensively for some reason. I'm one of Brodie's biggest fans and defenders but the truth is Brodie has not been good defensively this season.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Didn't like the trade. Still don't.

Hamonic however, is not even in the top 5 answers in what's wrong with the Flames.

Last edited:

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
I don't get why Trev couldn't realize offense was an issue. We have a terrible bottom line. Our third line this season is looking great, but prior to the season started, our third line was terrible as well. Our 3M line is amazing (And even then more so defensively than offensively), and Gaudreau-Monahan together is a tough offensive top line, but Ferland isn't a top line material player. I was hoping for Necas at the draft actually, so we can develop him into our top line RWer, although I'm still very happy with Valimaki. I just wished that since we got a Dman in the draft, and Andersson was/is clearly ready, we shouldn't have went for Hamonic. Even before we got Hamonic, Flames had the league's deepest (Not best mind you just deepest, best goes to the Blues) RHD depth.
Tre said hes worried about goal scoring before the season started if i remember correctly, but its not easy to find a top line RWer with JG and mony, im sick of ferland personally, his hot and cold drives me nuts, if we can package him with some other asset by all means go for it. We knew one of the biggest asset this team had was offense from the blue line, ever since we hired GG we have not seen any of it, im fully on board with the notion that he cant get the best out of his players, unfortunately we may have to wait till the off season to get a half decent coach

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Dave Cameron doesn't hold a candle to Jay Woodcroft. You want to see an idiot in action?
Woodcroft might be the worst special teams coach in NHL history. How you manage to field a bottom feeder power play with Connor McDavid on your roster is mind boggling. Treliving is also an amateur compared to Chiarelli in terms of making braindead moves such as these gems:
Matt Barzal+33rd overall for Griffin Reinhart
Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson
Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome
Justin Schultz for Matthew Cairns
Milan Lucic for 7x6 (how sad is it that this is probably the best move Chiarelli has made on this list)
Kris Russell for 4x4
Jonas Monster and Jussi Jokinen signed at all
Buying out Benoit Pouliot despite having cap space

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Wait are you sure Dave Cameron is running their PP? He's a defence guy, that doesn't make sense.
Flames fans would know better than I would, maybe he isn't the PP coach, but sometimes a coach doesn't always coach the area in which his expertise was as a player. Slava Fetisov was a defenseman and coached the PP for the Devils for years, even though he was a PP defenseman for a lot of his playing career. Cameron was a forward as a player, but there's quite a few cases where I've seen a coach who played as a forward/defenseman, actually coaching the opposite position of where they played as a player.
Dave Cameron doesn't hold a candle to Jay Woodcroft. You want to see an idiot in action?
I thought Woodcroft was just whatever with the Sharks.

My opinion on the McLellan/Woodcroft tandem was usually that they really didn't do much at all, and that they were just guys who stood behind the bench, put on a mean face (in Todd's case) while pacing around the bench and giving interviews to the media. And just letting their elite talent make them look like good coaches. My belief of that has only been reinforced with their Edmonton tenure. Todd was already super overrated because when you coach a good team, you usually get jocked. These guys were a product of San Jose’s talent/Edmonton/McDavid last year, not the other way around. Products of Babcock too, which is where they came from.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
BT would be a good GM for Walmart.

The guy is well organized and works hard.

But probably not a good GM of a hockey team. His talent evaluation is questionable and his moves are based on old data instead of future direction.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
No bud. The 1st rounder from the Hamonic trade is not top 10 protected.

One of the two 2nd rounders is conditional.
2018 1st
2018 2nd
2019 2nd or 2020 2nd

Do you know what the conditions of that 2019/2020 2nd are? This is the first time hearing it's a conditional pick.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
It was a good trade then and still is a good trade now.

Hamonic has been fine since coming here and is way down the list of problems.

There was no way the team wa king to tank anyways so I am not sure what the OP is getting at. The chances the puck turns out to be a better player than Hamonic is slim to none.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad