What updates would you guys like to see for 20 and beyond?

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
I would like the opportunity to search for a new job as gm also for other leagues than the NHL.
Also i would like to have the opportunity to become the gm for a national team, just like in Fifa.
And the player search atleast that should be included.

And while i am here whishing for stuff, take the license away from Ea and get someone else doing the games. Maybe not even 2k. there are other developers too.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Realistic gameplay for f***s sake! No more of this garbage where people can figure out how to Abuse the LT / L2 to glitch around the ice. This figure skating garbage needs to stop.

Reactions: LazyT

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
I wouldn't mind sometype of AI where the computer both on the team im playing as and against will go after loose pucks etc. Ive seen wingers etc, peel back with the puck inches from them in the offensive zone.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
A couple things for Franchise Mode:

- Ability to have GM firing on/off even when Owner Mode is turned off. Just because I don’t want to deal with the stupid finances and arena upkeep, doesn’t mean I don’t want a challenge and jump around jobs.

- Trade Finder. Not sure why this isn’t a thing already.

- Improved integration of Euro leagues. Allow players to “sign” with the Euro leagues and be removed from free agency from a year or two before showing up again. You don’t need to make it a big thing but bring up a screen similar to retirements showing a list of players who have signed with European/Scandinavian/Russian teams. It will largely be non-major name but every now and then maybe a guy like Panarin signs in Russia.

- Improved Free Agency. - July 1 should be like the FIFA Transfer Days. There’s 12 to 15 hours where you offer deals to free agents and they sign with you, sign elsewhere, or come back to you and say “Team B is offering 500K more per year, if you match, I’ll sign with you” type of thing. You can also offer/receive trade offers as well.

- Coaching Staff - Doesn’t need to be the real coaches, but generate different coaches and much like HUT, each one can have different positive boosts, or maybe even negative boosts. It can tie into player morale where if you fire a coach, player a and c could be very upset and perhaps request trades or regress due to it.

- Revamp player morale system. Use NBA 2K as inspiration

AssaultPK

Jul 22, 2014
Ability to lower the amount of games played in Be a GM. Lower then 82, so that the focus can be building a team while also playing. 82 is to many and simulating defeats the purpose.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Apart from already mentioned important things like gameplay, AI etc, I would like to see some minor things that were in past NHL's back in 04-05 days. In NHL 2005. if your team didn't play well, you could see empty seats at your arena. When played with national teams, commentators used to say some historical notes about some of them. For example "Russia has most golds in a row" , or "Germany (united one) is still waiting for their first international medal".

USA Hockey license please
USHL league please

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
A couple things for Franchise Mode:

- Ability to have GM firing on/off even when Owner Mode is turned off. Just because I don’t want to deal with the stupid finances and arena upkeep, doesn’t mean I don’t want a challenge and jump around jobs.

- Trade Finder. Not sure why this isn’t a thing already.

- Improved integration of Euro leagues. Allow players to “sign” with the Euro leagues and be removed from free agency from a year or two before showing up again. You don’t need to make it a big thing but bring up a screen similar to retirements showing a list of players who have signed with European/Scandinavian/Russian teams. It will largely be non-major name but every now and then maybe a guy like Panarin signs in Russia.

- Improved Free Agency. - July 1 should be like the FIFA Transfer Days. There’s 12 to 15 hours where you offer deals to free agents and they sign with you, sign elsewhere, or come back to you and say “Team B is offering 500K more per year, if you match, I’ll sign with you” type of thing. You can also offer/receive trade offers as well.

- Coaching Staff - Doesn’t need to be the real coaches, but generate different coaches and much like HUT, each one can have different positive boosts, or maybe even negative boosts. It can tie into player morale where if you fire a coach, player a and c could be very upset and perhaps request trades or regress due to it.

- Revamp player morale system. Use NBA 2K as inspiration

I would love some info when it came to free agency. Not "Hey ill get back to you". Also would love some countering when trading. Not just, "Did you not see our trade block?!"

Reactions: Nickmo82

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I would love some info when it came to free agency. Not "Hey ill get back to you". Also would love some countering when trading. Not just, "Did you not see our trade block?!"
Free agency has the potential to be great but it's so blah and linear.

Would love to see some options for pending UFAs once the season ends. Like you can tell them 1 of 3 things- 1) we're not going to offer you a contract, thanks for your hard work for this team 2) we'd like to bring you back- go test the open market and get back to us on what offers you're getting. I'll let you know if we can match it 3) This is the maximum I can offer you, you can take it or leave it (then you can offer the contract for their consideration)

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Free agency has the potential to be great but it's so blah and linear.

Would love to see some options for pending UFAs once the season ends. Like you can tell them 1 of 3 things- 1) we're not going to offer you a contract, thanks for your hard work for this team 2) we'd like to bring you back- go test the open market and get back to us on what offers you're getting. I'll let you know if we can match it 3) This is the maximum I can offer you, you can take it or leave it (then you can offer the contract for their consideration)
Wasn't there a year where you could see the other offers on guys and or who was the front runner? Maybe im thinking of some of the older Madden games on Xbox 360. And why can you not sign any guys after the trade deadline? Dont understand that one. If an injury occurs and i want to sign a FA to fill the spot instead of a prospect, why can't I?

Also would love to have the ability to increase offer or pull offer.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Wasn't there a year where you could see the other offers on guys and or who was the front runner? Maybe im thinking of some of the older Madden games on Xbox 360. And why can you not sign any guys after the trade deadline? Dont understand that one. If an injury occurs and i want to sign a FA to fill the spot instead of a prospect, why can't I?

Also would love to have the ability to increase offer or pull offer.
I do remember that but I'm not sure which game. I had some Madden games on 360 as well. Also with regards to upping/pulling offers, would be kind of cool to deal with Agents directly instead of just the player. That kind of builds on my main point of wanting more of an actual negotiation but I think that'd be cool

Reactions: jprenkert

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
Wouldnt mind a better scouting system. If i pick a league to scout, let me pick say 5-10 guys for my scout to watch. The system now is screwy. Does anyone else feel the same?

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Every game since NHL 13 has been complete dog shit and clunky from a gameplay perspective.

So maybe they could take a shot at fixing that? Also, revert the 3v3 team matchmaking, commentary, etc etc to what it was in NHL 18. In typical EA fashion they broke a pretty perfect game mode for no damn reason.

NHL 20: Make NHL fun again

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
More players diffirentiation (spelling?)...

Make Franchise mode more like EHM/FHM, where you can start in any league and based on your success move to stronger ones.

Reactions: Edenjung

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Frostbite, Frostbite, Frostbite. Oh and Frostbite.

(and professional voice actors for the commentators rather than the canned Doc stuff yet again).
Nope, please not.

Frostbyte might look nice, but it's terrible to work with.
And for a team that never worked with it it's even harder.

Even dice has problems with Frostbyte.
I don't want to get into more dev details but if you have a bloated engine like frostbyte that is used for everything but is lacking the tools to work with it eficiently.
For example, the loader with whom you can load your changes into the program is very slow.
With otehr engines that takes a few minutes , but with frostbyte it takes up to hours. The tools and the baisis of Frostbyte did not get improved over the years.
They added stuff and tried to apply the engine for toally diffrent genres (sports, shooter, and RPGs) thats hard.

it would be better to use an easier engine. The guys from respawn do that with Titanfall 1-2, Apex (source engine) and now with Jedi: Fallen Order they use the Unreal 4 engine.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I echo most of what was said here but a couple BASIC items that has always driven me crazy...

1) Put a freaking player portrait, even if it’s just the computer generated one, for created players, either by the computer (franchise) or by the us when we create players. The blank silhouette just irks me.

2) Have an option for NO play-by-play name for created players if there is no matching audio to the player name.

Reactions: Beville

Fnysnipe77

Feb 5, 2018
If trigger abuse gets looked at I think skillzone should get looked at mostly on the offense side of the puck. The AI is actually Pejorative Slured except for the backdoor cross creaser.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Every game since NHL 13 has been complete dog **** and clunky from a gameplay perspective.

So maybe they could take a shot at fixing that? Also, revert the 3v3 team matchmaking, commentary, etc etc to what it was in NHL 18. In typical EA fashion they broke a pretty perfect game mode for no damn reason.

NHL 20: Make NHL fun again

You spelled "14" wrong. NHL 14 was incredible. I would even say it's way better than 10 was; and to me 14 will always be the very best of this franchise.

Conor Edwards

Oct 22, 2018
Detroit, MI
I'd like a retro season mode, being able to play a full retro season with the Wings of Fedorov Larionov Yzerman, or the Nordiques with Forsberg, Nolan, Sakic..

Just to pick up a season's year in the past
Legal issues prevent this. Every single player needs to be on board to allow their names and likeness in the game. The only reason there are only like 200 Legend players in the game right now is because they can only reach an agreement with so many guys.

EA has its hands full already, and making them stuff more shit into a game that they focus the least on. There's a reason it's the same game every time. It's the weakest market they have in their chain.

Expect the worst, because expectations kill games like NHL 19.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Hockey is my favorite sports.. baseball a close second but I'll buy almost any sports game not made by EA. I buy NBA 2k because of how much more bang for your buck you get .. also love MLB the Show.. that's a great product, and the game play feels realistic. NHL games are nothing like actual hockey... You should be rewarded for playing proper systems and using strategy.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Just fix the look of players... they all look like they’ve got a coat hanger on and they’re bellies look weird... been like this since 14 or whenever they moved to PS4...

And improve BaP and GM and I’m happy - I’ve no interest in HuT or EASHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad