What UFA should we really go after?

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
The problem is acquiring Weber/Subban required Weber/Subban, and acquiring Larsson required Hall. We don't have those kinds of assets. We just missed an opportunity to get a #1 for peanuts.
My point was we often don't hear about blockbuster deals until they happen.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
My point was we often don't hear about blockbuster deals until they happen.
But what assets do we have (barring Larkin who won't be moved) to facilitate a blockbuster deal? Regardless of whether they're foreseeable, you gotta have the pieces to play.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
But what assets do we have (barring Larkin who won't be moved) to facilitate a blockbuster deal? Regardless of whether they're foreseeable, you gotta have the pieces to play.

Our first round pick for the next few years is a blockbuster asset. And all the good young players we don't want to trade like Bert and Hronek.

Reactions: Ricelund

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Considering this team will be in the basement for the next year or two at least, Detroit's first rounders are great assets. They have other good pieces too, as you know: Zadina, Cholowski, Mantha, Hronek, Bertuzzi, Valeno, etc. Gotta give to get.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Our first round pick for the next few years is a blockbuster asset. And all the good young players we don't want to trade like Bert and Hronek.

Considering this team will be in the basement for the next year or two at least, Detroit's first rounders are great assets. They have other good pieces too, as you know: Zadina, Cholowski, Mantha, Hronek, Bertuzzi, Valeno, etc. Gotta give to get.

Boy I'd hate the thought of giving up a 1st to get a 30 yr old Subban, only for our basement 1st rounder to win a lottery spot. If we're going to be in the basement for 2-3 more years, I'm not giving up picks with high odds at winning the lotto. I would have given 6th OA for Trouba but that is already known to be outside of the top 5 so there's a better idea of the value you're giving up. You can say they'd be traded with lottery protection but then that removes a great deal of the blockbuster incentive for the team acquiring the pick, negating the whole point.

I don't consider Bertuzzi, Cholowski, or Veleno (never mind the 'etc') to be blockbuster level players. Maybe Mantha and AA outside of Larkin but that's really the extent. But if we're really prepared to sacrifice assets of that significance, guys who we project to be a major part of the future, then why not just beat 20th 0A + Pionk now? The whole concept of a 'blockbuster' implies that that price would be a great deal more.

At some point you have to just bite the bullet and take a step back if you think it'll allow you to eventually take two steps forward. Anytime one of these 'blockbuster' opportunities arises, we're gonna see the same chorus of naysayers who are full of reasons why it's a mistake but an empty well when it comes to alternatives. We just missed a huge opportunity, who knows when the next one will be. And odds are it'll be much more costly.

Reactions: Zetterbeer

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Could be that Trouba is intent on going to UFA, and many GMs may know this, and maybe didn't want to give up too much. Legit don't understand the whole he wasn't allowed to talk to the Rangers first, which is weird from both teams perspective.

Yeah, I'm with you on the guess that there are signability issues that go beyond Trouba just wanting out of Winnipeg. Have to think that if clubs could talk to Trouba then his trade value would have sunk even lower.

Zetterbeer

Aug 4, 2018
Ontario
As tough as it is to see Trouba go to the Rangers for what he did, I think it proves that Yzerman is really reluctant to give up young assets. I'd like to imagine that if Hronek/Veleno ect was on the table for Trouba, he'd be wearing the winged wheel right now. As young and as good as Trouba is, Yzerman's hand will not be forced to hurt the rebuild.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
So with the recent trades and/or singings and impending singings of:

Trouba: (quotes on the trade & life as a NYR etc.)
... says "he can see himself in NY for a Long Time."

Amalie Benjamin on Twitter

Is Trouba already starting a bidding war for his services once he becomes a UFA?

& my 2nd option for 2c UFA, Kevin Hayes
: closing in on 7yr, $50M deal!

BREAKING: Flyers and Pending UFA Kevin Hayes Closing in on Long-Term Contract

that's overpay for Hayes at this point, but may be worth it in the long run.

So only interested in 2c, Duchene $8Mx7yrs ? maybe Anders Lee who NYI likely resigns.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yeah, I'm with you on the guess that there are signability issues that go beyond Trouba just wanting out of Winnipeg. Have to think that if clubs could talk to Trouba then his trade value would have sunk even lower.
It was Larry Brooks so take it for what it's worth but he claims the Jets refused to give Trouba's agent permission to talk to interested teams. Meaning those teams couldn't get any feel for the likelihood of re-signing Trouba after the trade so many dropped out of bidding.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
It's better to have no franchise d-man than it is to be committed to a mediocre flavor of the off-season "franchise" d-man like Suter, Subban or Trouba for a whole generation.

Players like Heiskanen are more complete than those players ever were already. Players like Cholowski and Hronek have a more well rounded foundation to build from, than stiff hipped Suter and Trouba, or a flash in the pan Subban.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Hey, more strawmen from Z. I literally imply he's top 15-30 in the world, and that's basically the same as calling him a bum?

Suter is a 13 year commitment. It's my opinion that we weren't and are not yet at the point where we should be cementing those spots on our team for that term. It's way riskier than is being portrayed in these types of threads.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
:huh:

I'd be thrilled if the Wings were committed to "mediocre franchise defenseman" Ryan Suter.

For 7 million bucks, in a vacuum, I agree.

In the context of this debate, I think it'd be hard to argue that Min aggressively pursuing and committing to Suter seperated them from league in any positive way.

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Suter is a 13 year commitment. It's my opinion that we weren't and are not yet at the point where we should be cementing those spots on our team for that term. It's way riskier than is being portrayed in these types of threads.
Ehh, for a franchise like the Wings I don’t think it’s a big deal. Hell, they have two of those contracts on their books (Z and Franzen) and it’s not impacting them.

Re: Suter, are you saying you wouldn’t sign a 28-year-old Suter to a max-term deal right now?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad