What UFA should we really go after?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
They have big money invested in most of those players on this team until 2025 Karlsson's deal lines up with them. How would it look for them to go flaccid now? They wouldn't bottom out without Karlsson. With players like Burns, Vlasic, Couture, Kane, Hertl, and Meier you're going to be a fringe playoff team, so they are locking down their core for the next ~6 seasons, a core they see as a contender.
They lock down Karlsson and have 2 top 10 offensive defenseman and a top defensive defenseman most of the lives of the contracts. Not even mentioning the fact that they have less picks over the next 2 years than we have in this draft. Win now mode until they start the rebuild toward the end of these contracts.

Which is why the Owner green lighted it with huge bonus payments to lockout proof it and a full NMC. Not hard to see what the Ownership group is thinking in terms of the next 5 years. He is going for it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I guess I understand the concept you are driving at. I would ask why one mistake justifies several more.
What mistakes? Locking up good players? 3 of their 50+ point scorers were 25 or under, Hertl/Meier/Leblanc. Burns was ppg, Vlasic is great at his role.
They just made the conference finals, and maybe they should've lost in the first round, but they came back and beat a really good and hot Colorado team. They've missed the playoffs once in the cap era, they want a cup, and they see this as their best shot.

Reactions: Ingvar and mantha39

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
What mistakes? Locking up good players? 3 of their 50+ point scorers were 25 or under, Hertl/Meier/Leblanc. Burns was ppg, Vlasic is great at his role.
They just made the conference finals, and maybe they should've lost in the first round, but they came back and beat a really good and hot Colorado team. They've missed the playoffs once in the cap era, they want a cup, and they see this as their best shot.

I don’t expect you to necessarily see eye to eye with me on every situation. I’m a dollars guy at my core. It’s my belief they’ve f***ed themselves.

Is there a justification for it, absolutely. I don’t know at this point if I’d condone this level of long term spend on deteriorating returns, but they can definitely justify it.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I don’t expect you to necessarily see eye to eye with me on every situation. I’m a dollars guy at my core. It’s my belief they’ve ****ed themselves.

Is there a justification for it, absolutely. I don’t know at this point if I’d condone this level of long term spend on deteriorating returns, but they can definitely justify it.
I'm not going to sit here and say I think they'll win a cup over the life of the EK contract, but I wouldn't bet against them. Before this season Martin Jones had started 40 playoff games and had a .926 sv% in the playoffs. They have players that can score, if they get solid goaltending they can win a cup, shit anyone can.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I'm extremely Jealous of the Rangers offseason so far... Adding the number 2 pick in(likely) Kaapo Kakko and now trading for Jacob Trouba....

If you told me that this was the Red Wings offseason and those were the only two major significant moves I think I would of been rather fine with it. Rangers fans are prolly happy. They have a lot of time left to do more things.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Hearing that Alex Edler is going to free agency. But honestly he doesn't fit the timing for our rebuild. Need younger not older.

What is the timing of our rebuild? Within the next year we could be looking at ericsson, green, daley, and Kronwall (again) all moving off the blueline. Might lose Dekeyser to the expansion draft. we have Hronek and Cholowski as kids who can almost definitely make the jump and be effective NHLers, but neither are guarantees or have the draft pedigree that holds off questions of their development/ceiling. And Yzerman has talked about being patient.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
What is the timing of our rebuild? Within the next year we could be looking at ericsson, green, daley, and Kronwall (again) all moving off the blueline. Might lose Dekeyser to the expansion draft. we have Hronek and Cholowski as kids who can almost definitely make the jump and be effective NHLers, but neither are guarantees or have the draft pedigree that holds off questions of their development/ceiling. And Yzerman has talked about being patient.

This would ruin my enjoyment and my disappointment would be immeasureable. Go into the offseason with dreams of Erik Karlsson or Jacob Trouba and wake up with ****ing Alex Edler and Johnny Oduya.

I get being patient. I do. But cheese and rice, there is no excuse for being outbid for Trouba unless Winnipeg turned down a package from Detroit worth double what 20 + Pionk is.

E: ORRR the Wings found out through back channels that Trouba doesn't actually want to come home at all. But gah, it just pisses me off that I see other teams get good young D for reasonable prices and Detroit is simply left with an empty bag because for some reason the other teams ask for like 40% more. I guess the 90s are swinging back around and kicking us in the stones.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
This would ruin my enjoyment and my disappointment would be immeasureable. Go into the offseason with dreams of Erik Karlsson or Jacob Trouba and wake up with ****ing Alex Edler and Johnny Oduya.

I get being patient. I do. But cheese and rice, there is no excuse for being outbid for Trouba unless Winnipeg turned down a package from Detroit worth double what 20 + Pionk is.

E: ORRR the Wings found out through back channels that Trouba doesn't actually want to come home at all. But gah, it just pisses me off that I see other teams get good young D for reasonable prices and Detroit is simply left with an empty bag because for some reason the other teams ask for like 40% more. I guess the 90s are swinging back around and kicking us in the stones.
This situation is triggering my 'kicking tires/prices are too high' ptsd.

Reactions: Bench

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

If Yzerman is looking at the Wings making the playoffs being a 4-5 years out thing rather than a 2-3 years out thing, not going even moderately big on Trouba makes sense. I think the big tell will be what happens with Mantha and Athanasiou. If the Wings move those guys for younger pieces/futures, I think Yzerman's view of the team's rebuild will be pretty clear.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Hearing that Alex Edler is going to free agency. But honestly he doesn't fit the timing for our rebuild. Need younger not older.
I’d have no problem signing him if it were 2-3 years max, preferably 2 and no trade clause which is what he’s hoping for so pass

AND I’d also need to be rid of Daley and ericsson both to get edler or else pass

Preferably we sign some ufa’s to one year to use as trade bait on deadline day

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
In all honesty, I don't think any free agents should be signed this offseason. There is no urgency to win now as we are still several years from being in contention and any available free agent at this point would not propel the rebuild. The available marquee free agents who are available this offseason would waste several years of their prime and contract prior to the point where the team is ready to compete. The available ice time and roles should be given to internal prospects so they can continue to develop.

IF the Wings do decide to bring in a veteran free agent, I hope it's very much with the understanding that it's a short term leadership role. A long in the tooth veteran who is past their prime but could very well provide much needed guidance, culture, and professionalism to a locker room full of young players looking to model their behavior after.

Reactions: LarKing

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I have to laugh at people already turning on Yzerman for not getting Trouba. We have no idea what happened. Maybe Winnipeg loves Pionk for whatever reason. Maybe Trouba only wanted to play in a big city like New York. Maybe Trouba's not as good as we think he is.

I would've liked to see him in Detroit too but let's not freak out at Yzerman for not landing one guy in his first month sixty days on the job.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I would've liked to see him in Detroit too but let's not freak out at Yzerman for not landing one guy in his first month sixty days on the job.

Completely agree. That said...

Yzerman symbolized, to many of us, a more aggressive push from Detroit. So to see a hometown kid that fits a need perfectly get dealt for a modest return... um, hi Steve, this is the kind of thing we were hoping you'd get done.

There's likely legitimate reasons it didn't get done, but in the absence of information, we're left feeling a bit deflated that another prime candidate to help the defense has sailed away.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Can't post it in the Trouba thread, so I'll post it here. I find very very amusing the price he went for, as some of the oh so knowledgeable Jets fans on here, thought we would need to give up either Zadina or Veleno, plus 6th Overall, and maybe a little more. Instead they only get their 20th pick back and Neal Pionk, which seems terrible for the Jets, and a small gamble for the Rangers. Weird that the Jets didn't let him at least talk to the Rangers first, to try and pry a couple of conditional pick(s) into the mix.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I have to laugh at people already turning on Yzerman for not getting Trouba. We have no idea what happened. Maybe Winnipeg loves Pionk for whatever reason. Maybe Trouba only wanted to play in a big city like New York. Maybe Trouba's not as good as we think he is.

Nope! July 1st press conference, the Wings announce that Steve Yzerman is FIRED, and the Wings are moving to New Mexico.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Yzerman symbolized, to many of us, a more aggressive push from Detroit. So to see a hometown kid that fits a need perfectly get dealt for a modest return... um, hi Steve, this is the kind of thing we were hoping you'd get done.

There's likely legitimate reasons it didn't get done, but in the absence of information, we're left feeling a bit deflated that another prime candidate to help the defense has sailed away.

Could be that Trouba is intent on going to UFA, and many GMs may know this, and maybe didn't want to give up too much. Legit don't understand the whole he wasn't allowed to talk to the Rangers first, which is weird from both teams perspective.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Yeah, I think the biggest reason I was pushing for a new GM was to see more aggressiveness and creativity on the trade front. So I'm with you. I hope we see something over the next year that shows that. We have been idle for way too long as far as impact trades go.

Reactions: The Zermanator

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

My entire anger is that I was a big proponent of getting Trouba. I'm disappointed that we didn't get a good player. If Yzerman didn't overbid, there has to be a reason. I'm just having a very hard time seeing what it is right now. Like I was saying, I understand being patient and not going crazy, but a top pairing guy went for a mid first and essentially 2013-14 Brendan Smith. And if it results in us signing Alex Edler like five years after he was a good top pairing guy, I'll be even more upset.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

Totally fair and I feel the same way -- but let's see what shakes out over the next few months. Did anyone see the Subban/Weber trade coming? Or Hall for Larsson?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Totally fair and I feel the same way -- but let's see what shakes out over the next few months. Did anyone see the Subban/Weber trade coming? Or Hall for Larsson?

There's been minor smoke Nashville would entertain offers for PK. He's my new defender I'll be disappointed we don't aquire.

And boy that list is growing steadily since Suter.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
The problem is acquiring Weber/Subban required Weber/Subban, and acquiring Larsson required Hall. We don't have those kinds of assets. We just missed an opportunity to get a #1 for peanuts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad