Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
LC.jpg

I know you got a crocodile in spelling, but this has gone too far

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
So let's look at one other crucial thing. What are acceptable desserts to consume after having had barbeque? Offhand, I nominate:

Banana Pudding
Peach Cobbler

Any other nominees?

I'd say it depends on the barbecue, but can't go wrong with peach cobbler.

Also, I like Goose's idea. Can never have to much pulled pork.

mmmm.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Would you recommend a rub when doing mustard style Garnett? And if so, what kind? I know you hate it, but I bought a couple bottles of each of those sauces you recommended last page. Wanna make sure I do it right :)

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
So let's look at one other crucial thing. What are acceptable desserts to consume after having had barbeque? Offhand, I nominate:

Banana Pudding
Peach Cobbler

Any other nominees?

Likker or 'shine?

Apple Pie...not the kind grandma baked.

Ingredients Edit and Save

Original recipe makes 5 quartsChange Servings
1 gallon apple cider
1 gallon apple juice
6 (3 inch) cinnamon sticks
1 1/2 cups white sugar, or to taste
1 (1 liter) bottle 190 proof grain alcohol (such as Everclearâ„¢)

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Well, now you're calling a toboggan a "sled", which it most certainly is not. Any "true Northerner" knows toboggans and sleds are 2 distinctly different snow-sliding devices, and there's really no way to confuse the 2. You may as well be from International Falls and not know the difference between gloves and mittens or frostbite and hypothermia.

You might have fooled yourself into thinking you are "accepting" that things are called different things depending on where you are, but it looks like from the above example you simply don't know or care what a lot of things are properly named even in your own area, or why something should have the name it does in any (BBQ).

Did you go to one of those schools where classes weren't graded and misspellings weren't corrected because they were far too busy nurturing your creative psyche or something? In your eyes, is it acceptable to consider Big Bird a Lamborghini because he's yellow? If words are so interchangeable based on whimsy or the theory that "1,000,000 lemmings can't be wrong", why not just trash the whole system and revert to grunting at things while we point?

A sled is any device that slides over snow or ice, you nincompoop (yeah, I used that word :) ). Look it up if you don't believe me. You're probably thinking of a flyer when you think of "sled" as being different than a "toboggan." When you use either one, it's called sleigh riding or sledding, either one really. Same thing with saucers.

Distinctions are important, but this is beyond that. Great discussion though! :)

Also, I see I'm still the only one who voted for mustard base :laugh:

Last edited:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Would you recommend a rub when doing mustard style Garnett? And if so, what kind? I know you hate it, but I bought a couple bottles of each of those sauces you recommended last page. Wanna make sure I do it right :)

Generally I've not seen a lot of rubs used with mustard-based. I'll check around with some of my more mustard-loving friends still stuck behind the Yellow Curtain and see what they say.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I cook a pork shoulder in the crock pot the other day (keep in mind I'm a college student and don't have the top necessities to BBQ correctly) and it was fantastic. I used this recipe if anyone wants a easy meal for their family or what not. Also, I put Shealy's brand vinegar based sauce on it.

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2013/12/03/recipe-best-pulled-pork-crock-pot/

I've done that before. Not quite the real thing, but pretty dang good in a pinch. And living in a small apartment with no access to a smoker and no good barbecue anywhere in sight, it's often the only thing I have.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I cook a pork shoulder in the crock pot the other day (keep in mind I'm a college student and don't have the top necessities to BBQ correctly) and it was fantastic. I used this recipe if anyone wants a easy meal for their family or what not. Also, I put Shealy's brand vinegar based sauce on it.

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2013/12/03/recipe-best-pulled-pork-crock-pot/

After the pork is finished in the crock pot I like to pull it apart and then put it on a cookie sheet, pour the juices from the crock pot over the meat, and then throw it in the oven and broil it for about 10 minutes. Gives it a nice little crisp to the edges.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Not really a huge fan of the Bessinger, but man, this Sticky Fingers brand is incredible.

Interesting considering the Bessingers is regarded by many as the "true" mustard-based sauce and Sticky Fingers as a more corporate "chain" sauce. Still, I agree with you. I dislike mustard base but the Sticky Fingers stuff is the most tolerable of a bad bunch of choices. I do love mixing their sauces though, particularly their Habanero, Memphis, and Tennessee Whiskey varieties.

I asked around about dry rubs and opinion was split between "nothing," "some salt and pepper" and using a dry rub. I think this is one that comes down to "experiment and see what you like."

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Interesting considering the Bessingers is regarded by many as the "true" mustard-based sauce and Sticky Fingers as a more corporate "chain" sauce. Still, I agree with you. I dislike mustard base but the Sticky Fingers stuff is the most tolerable of a bad bunch of choices. I do love mixing their sauces though, particularly their Habanero, Memphis, and Tennessee Whiskey varieties.

I asked around about dry rubs and opinion was split between "nothing," "some salt and pepper" and using a dry rub. I think this is one that comes down to "experiment and see what you like."

Experimenting is the best part. I was talking to Dave on fb about maybe smoking a pork shoulder with fir trees. Could be interesting. I like the smell, just don't know how it'll translate.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Guess what I'm having for dinner tonight.

16h42s6.jpg

Put this pork butt on at about 10pm last night at 225 degrees and it just finished up a few minutes ago. Will wrap it in tinfoil then put it in a cooler wrapped in towels to keep it warm for an early dinner tonight.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Guess what I'm having for dinner tonight.

16h42s6.jpg

Put this pork butt on at about 10pm last night at 225 degrees and it just finished up a few minutes ago. Will wrap it in tinfoil then put it in a cooler wrapped in towels to keep it warm for an early dinner tonight.

Obviously today you're doing all day but how long do you usually let it sit? My dad does 30 minutes (he puts it on when he wakes up and then it's ready for dinner time), but my immediate thought is that that's a bare minimum...

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Experimenting is the best part. I was talking to Dave on fb about maybe smoking a pork shoulder with fir trees. Could be interesting. I like the smell, just don't know how it'll translate.

Don't smoke meat with any coniferous tree...it'll make you a bit nauseous, the smoke is sooty beyond belief and it imparts a distinct resiny/turpentiny flavor to your food.

There are some parts of Germany (around Bavaria) where some things (hams, bacon) are smoked using evergreen woods but it's in very small quantities mixed with large amounts of hardwoods.

Some additional reading:
http://www.meatsandsausages.com/meat-smoking/wood
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/119142/using-pine-spruce-or-fir

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Don't smoke meat with any coniferous tree...it'll make you a bit nauseous, the smoke is sooty beyond belief and it imparts a distinct resiny/turpentiny flavor to your food.

There are some parts of Germany (around Bavaria) where some things (hams, bacon) are smoked using evergreen woods but it's in very small quantities mixed with large amounts of hardwoods.

Some additional reading:
http://www.meatsandsausages.com/meat-smoking/wood
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/119142/using-pine-spruce-or-fir

Good to know.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Obviously today you're doing all day but how long do you usually let it sit? My dad does 30 minutes (he puts it on when he wakes up and then it's ready for dinner time), but my immediate thought is that that's a bare minimum...

Most times, it seems to take 10-14 hours to smoke one of these for me (depends on the size and temperature you want to use)...and this one was a good size so I expected 14 hours. I didn't feel like getting up at 3am to get the smoker up to temperature and stable which is why I threw it on last night since I had to stay up til after midnight for work anyhow. After I take it off the smoker, I usually wrap it up and let it sit anywhere from 30min-1 hour which seems fine to me.

I have wrapped them in foil, towels and put them in a cooler many times though and have kept them for up to 6 hours without a problem and can't tell any difference vs. when I let them sit for 30 min. You almost can't screw up a boston butt pork shoulder. It's pretty fool proof.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

For Pork, I find Hickory to be the best and that's what a lot of the BBQ places in NC also use. I've used White Oak before which is also pretty good (not red oak though, as I find that red oak really stinks).

And if anyone wants to build a cheap smoker of their own that works very well, you can make it with a couple of flower pots and an cheap electric burner. I made one of these so I can easily travel with it and it cost me under $100 and it works extremely well. I substituted a flat lid with a half round flower pot and it give plenty of room for even a big pork shoulder.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Flower-Pot-Smoker-Improved-Lid/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad