Sep 6, 2006
The off-season poll to end all polls!

1) Eastern
2) Western
3) Central SC Mustard
4) I don't use sauce
5) No preference / Other

carolinas.jpg

EDIT: Mods, please fix the spelling error in title. (prefer).

Last edited:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I object to the category of "SC Mustard." That implies that ALL of SC uses mustard base which is incorrect. SC, like NC, is subdivided.

Pig2.png

The correct terminology would be "Central SC Mustard."

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I object to the category of "SC Mustard." That implies that ALL of SC uses mustard base which is incorrect. SC, like NC, is subdivided.

The correct terminology would be "Central SC Mustard."

:cry: :cry: You're lucky I even included SC in the discussion! :naughty:

Seriously though, the map I posted (which I had an error in the initial post so it didn't show up) shows that the mustard is central SC.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Considering I dislike mustard-base, that's no skin off my nose. Lymph of Belzebub would also be an acceptable term to apply to mustard-base.

I'm not a huge mustard based fan, but I have had doctored versions where the mustard is more subtle that I've liked. But overall, I agree with you.

SkinnersAWinner

Apr 13, 2014
Clemson, SC
Vinegar and pepper based for me. Even though I've never lived in any of the areas that "specialized" in them. GarnetPalmetto you seem to be pretty knowledgable about the Columbia area. Have you ever eaten at Shealy's BBQ over in Batesburg-Leesville?

Dec 30, 2013
I'll eat Eastern and Western, but Eastern > Western > Molasses based > Dirt >Worms in the dirt > Poop > Mustard based

Mustard based is worse than awful.

Last edited:

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I think the only things I like about living in Eastern NC are Ocracoke/OBX, fried okra and vinegar based sauce.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Vinegar and pepper based for me. Even though I've never lived in any of the areas that "specialized" in them. GarnetPalmetto you seem to be pretty knowledgable about the Columbia area. Have you ever eaten at Shealy's BBQ over in Batesburg-Leesville?

I have indeed. Not a bad place to stop and infinitely more preferable than handing your money to a white supremacist by going to Maurice's.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
http://bbq.discoversouthcarolina.com/pdf/bbq_trail_map.pdf

I'm pretty certain the economy got the better of the place but back in 2006 I had an interesting yet dumb conversation with the poor girl behind the counter about hockey (was wearing my Stanley Cup shirt and hat) at a mom and pop's BBQ joint near Orangeburg. I won't go into details but everytime I go to Charleston I think about that encounter.

Personally when it comes to BBQ, please just leave the slaw off of it, and not too much sauce either. Other than that, you can feed me Texas, Memphis, KC, Carolina, whatever and I'll probably like it.

Can't say I really have a favorite joint, but I generally prefer the mom and pop joints more so than places like The Pit or chains like Sonny's and Smithfields.

I have indeed. Not a bad place to stop and infinitely more preferable than handing your money to a white supremacist by going to Maurice's.

I've had Maurices before and while I enjoyed it, I felt incredibly guilty that I helped support that jerk.

Last edited:

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
BBQ to me is a thick, grain fed beef, rib steak (bone in) seared quick and charred on the outside, rare and dripping inside....so other I guess.

Mr Whipple

Charmin Soft
Nov 9, 2008
Greenville, NC
Personally when it comes to BBQ, please just leave the slaw off of it, and not too much sauce either.

Yeah, I'll eat pretty much any of the sauces, but I just don't like slaw. Goes for Carolina style chili cheeseburgers and hot dogs, too. Mustard onions and chili, hold the slaw.

Don't care much for the corn bread that comes with barbecue at a lot of the places, either. Sticks and bricks that are rock hard just isn't right.

My preference is eastern. Just tried the mustard sauce for the first time from a Harris Teeter jar not long ago and liked it, but was on chicken. Haven't tried actual pulled pork with it yet. Don't really care for Memphis style with the thick ketchup sauce, but I will eat it if no other options.

Really missed eastern carolina barbecue when I lived up in DC. There were tons of the Memphis style all around town. Was lucky to find a Memphis style place that smoked pulled pork right behind my apartment building, and while they had the thick ketchup sauce, they didn't put any on and left it up to you to do. So I'd get it without and just not have any sauce. Not quite the same but was a slightly closer, better alternative.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Yeah, I'll eat pretty much any of the sauces, but I just don't like slaw. Goes for Carolina style chili cheeseburgers and hot dogs, too. Mustard onions and chili, hold the slaw.

Don't care much for the corn bread that comes with barbecue at a lot of the places, either. Sticks and bricks that are rock hard just isn't right.

My preference is eastern. Just tried the mustard sauce for the first time from a Harris Teeter jar not long ago and liked it, but was on chicken. Haven't tried actual pulled pork with it yet. Don't really care for Memphis style with the thick ketchup sauce, but I will eat it if no other options.

Really missed eastern carolina barbecue when I lived up in DC. There were tons of the Memphis style all around town. Was lucky to find a Memphis style place that smoked pulled pork right behind my apartment building, and while they had the thick ketchup sauce, they didn't put any on and left it up to you to do. So I'd get it without and just not have any sauce. Not quite the same but was a slightly closer, better alternative.

It's really aggravating when I have to say "please no slaw" more than once and they still pile it on, lol.

I agree with you on cornbread. Unless it's from Boston Market, I probably won't like it. Too stale, hard, bland, etc. for my taste.

Neighbor Lee

Sponsor
Oct 25, 2013
Droneview
-eastern; since i was an itty bitty boy
-brunswick stew
-hushpuppies
-slaw
-bun
Thank you, ma'am. And a beer with that too, please

Ad

Upcoming events