OT: What type of BBQ do you prefer?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Mustard sauce is native to SC and generally what people understand "South Carolina Style" to mean, correct? I realize not all of the state uses it, but a pretty large part of the state does, and the mustard sauce is pretty much exclusively used in that state, so South Carolina is fairly associated with it, even though it's not universal.

I don't know about native - it's also found in parts of Georgia, particularly the Geechee areas around Savannah, but it is predominantly confined to that Midlands down to Charleston and Beaufort corridor as outlined in the map owing to the settlement of Palitane Germans in the area.

My argument is that people who understand "South Carolina Style" to mean mustard based are as ignorant as the people who understand "Carolina Style" to mean vinegar and pepper base. It completely ignores that there are large swaths of the state where you won't find it. If I went to a barbeque restaurant in Batesburg-Leesville, Greenville, Abbeville, and Conway, and asked for "South Carolina Style" barbeque I'm going to get 4 different types of sauce, only 1 of which is mustard based. It's an oversimplification of culinary diversity that fails to do that diversity any justice.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
a pig roast would be called that here but not a nightly use of the bbq to grill supper. a 'cookout' is considered to be a bigger affair with a bunch of folks getting together for some reason or event.

where/when/how did the Southern bbq originate? is it considered to be "cultural" or more of a "tradition"? and, is it a Southern thing with variations depending on where you are throughout the South? what's the history behind it?

CI. living in Calgary, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Western Canada and northwestern US are very similar. also, the closest thing I've seen lately to pulled pork around here is Subways ads pushing their flavour of the month.

What people call bbq here isn't actual bbq. It's grilling. I try to educate them as best I can. To be fair though, they can make a good steak and a decent brisket. Pork here is sadly terrible. A few places do decent ribs, but I've yet to come across anywhere that makes good pulled pork.

Everywhere uses to much sauce and its all Western style. I eat it because I enjoy pulled pork, but it's not in the same universe as back in NC.

The best way to quantify it, is that the best pork in the city, that I've found at least, is Buffalo Wild Wings :shakehead:

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I don't know about native - it's also found in parts of Georgia, particularly the Geechee areas around Savannah, but it is predominantly confined to that Midlands down to Charleston and Beaufort corridor as outlined in the map owing to the settlement of Palitane Germans in the area.

My argument is that people who understand "South Carolina Style" to mean mustard based are as ignorant as the people who understand "Carolina Style" to mean vinegar and pepper base. It completely ignores that there are large swaths of the state where you won't find it. If I went to a barbeque restaurant in Batesburg-Leesville, Greenville, Abbeville, and Conway, and asked for "South Carolina Style" barbeque I'm going to get 4 different types of sauce, only 1 of which is mustard based. It's an oversimplification of culinary diversity that fails to do that diversity any justice.

While I admit it is ignorance, it still doesn't change the fact that's how the vast majority of people think/feel.

And I'm as guilty as anyone. When someone says "South Carolina BBQ" The first thing I think of is mustard. It's wrong of me, but I still do it.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
In the north, the term barbecue describes an event, not a cooking technique. So, in describing something completely different, it cannot be incorrect because it doesn't use the technique of the other definition. It's not about the same thing.

And we can discuss word roots forever, but the beauty of language is that it evolves.

That being said, as a true-hearted northerner, I'm going off to go make a butter-herb sauce for my pasta.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
While I admit it is ignorance, it still doesn't change the fact that's how the vast majority of people think/feel.

And I'm as guilty as anyone. When someone says "South Carolina BBQ" The first thing I think of is mustard. It's wrong of me, but I still do it.

It's not ignorance. It's just use of the generally accepted categorization. South Carolina Style, as a term, is fairly universally used to mean mustard based. Just like Lexington style isn't just eaten in Lexington. The term is a broad categorization, it's not intended to perfectly describe the nuances of the whole situation.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
It's not ignorance. It's just use of the generally accepted categorization. South Carolina Style, as a term, is fairly universally used to mean mustard based. Just like Lexington style isn't just eaten in Lexington. The term is a broad categorization, it's not intended to perfectly describe the nuances of the whole situation.

But it doesn't even IMPERFECTLY describe the nuances of the situation. You can find Lexington style barbeque in Lexington, NC. You can't find what you're terming South Carolina style barbeque in many parts of South Carolina, including its largest metropolitan area.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
In the north, the term barbecue describes an event, not a cooking technique. So, in describing something completely different, it cannot be incorrect because it doesn't use the technique of the other definition. It's not about the same thing.

And we can discuss word roots forever, but the beauty of language is that it evolves.

That being said, as a true-hearted northerner, I'm going off to go make a butter-herb sauce for my pasta.

Sometimes things evolve. Sometimes you just have a large group of people who wildly misuse the word. If I started to use the word "hammer" when I meant "hat", you'd correct me. Sometimes things fall on the border, and this is one of those cases, but as somebody who enjoys precision in communication, I tend to fall on the side of distinct definitions. "Martini" is another one that makes me want to hurt people- a contingent of idiots has been using it as a synonym for "cocktail" for the last decade or so, and that makes me want to get a little stabby. It's a specific drink, folks! Made with Gin AND Vermouth. Vodka, if you like liquor that's entirely flavorless.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Sometimes things evolve. Sometimes you just have a large group of people who wildly misuse the word. If I started to use the word "hammer" when I meant "hat", you'd correct me. Sometimes things fall on the border, and this is one of those cases, but as somebody who enjoys precision in communication, I tend to fall on the side of distinct definitions. "Martini" is another one that makes me want to hurt people- a contingent of idiots has been using it as a synonym for "cocktail" for the last decade or so, and that makes me want to get a little stabby. It's a specific drink, folks! Made with Gin AND Vermouth. Vodka, if you like liquor that's entirely flavorless.

Fair enough and agreed about martinis. Except that we don't say "I'm going to barbecue" or "I'm going to have some barbecue." We say "I'm going to a barbecue." It's not a substitute for something else. It is actually something else.

(my sauce is bubbling)

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Maybe I've given mustard based sauce a bad rap. I've been to South Carolina more times than I can count and to several different cities. But the thought of mustard on pork airways confused and frightened me. Maybe I've just never had a good one. This thread has piqued my interest. Maybe Garnett or Goose can suggest a good sauce or recipe? I'm curious now and wanna try one :)

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Maybe I've given mustard based sauce a bad rap. I've been to South Carolina more times than I can count and to several different cities. But the thought of mustard on pork airways confused and frightened me. Maybe I've just never had a good one. This thread has piqued my interest. Maybe Garnett or Goose can suggest a good sauce or recipe? I'm curious now and wanna try one :)

We're both the wrong people. I'm from the part of the state that does mustard-based sauce and I despise it. Goose went to Clemson which is in the part of the state that does tomato-based. If you're interested in trying some premade sauces, though I've heard good things about Bessinger's (note this is the same family as the crazy white supremacist, Maurice Bessinger, but a different branch of that family who've openly disavowed his bigotry). You can also try Sticky Fingers mustard base for 100% apolitical barbeque.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
Fair enough and agreed about martinis. Except that we don't say "I'm going to barbecue" or "I'm going to have some barbecue." We say "I'm going to a barbecue." It's not a substitute for something else. It is actually something else.

Pretty tough to fathom how one can "Go to a barbecue" where no BBQing is going on, but instead a lot of the opposite in the form of high, direct heat grilling. Furthermore, the use of propane for anything termed "A barbecue" also renders it as illegitimate as a LaRose goal. The mere addition of an indefinite article doesn't transform the misuse of the word into a truth.

If you think it does, then I hope someday a hot young lady invites you to "Go to AN orgy this Sunday with me and some of my sorority sisters" and you wind up squeezed between them on a pew singing hymns in church.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Pretty tough to fathom how someone can't understand that words can mean more than a single thing (like fathom..) :)

Merriam Websters derivation reads as follows: "American Spanish barbacoa - framework for supporting meat over a fire, probably from Taino
First Use: 1709"

A framework for supporting meat over a fire. Sounds like that could be a grill as much as what we think or as a BBQ.

I mean, if we are getting technical here ;)

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
Pretty tough to fathom how someone can't understand that words can mean more than a single thing (like fathom..) :)

Merriam Websters derivation reads as follows: "American Spanish barbacoa - framework for supporting meat over a fire, probably from Taino
First Use: 1709"

A framework for supporting meat over a fire. Sounds like that could be a grill as much as what we think or as a BBQ.

I mean, if we are getting technical here ;)

If we're getting technical about frameworks for cooking, perhaps all that baking, roasting, and broiling my mother did when I was growing up was simply "Ovening" since that's where all those things happened, and to he11 with worrying about temps, times, and heat source to differentiate how things are prepared?

Great idea. "Stoving" is much simpler than having to decide between what is a boil vs a simmer too. Easy!

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007

You know that being a Northerner living in Charlotte that the Southerners' word-revenge for you mis-using the term "BBQ" is when every winter they all start talking about how they're going to need a "toboggan" to wear on their head, right?

If you ever feel like correcting them because you're the local expert on REAL cold weather and snow, and therefore what warm hats, clothes and various types of snow sliding devices should be called, before you speak you remember your words here.

But if you don't just shut up, and instead choose to try and explain to them re toboggans vs knit hats/touques or gloves vs mittens or sleds vs toboggans etc because that's your area of experience and expertise , then it's incumbent upon you to go find A nearby Baptist orgy and repent for all the BBQ-blaspheming you've been doing all your life, since that's theirs.

Last edited:

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
We're both the wrong people. I'm from the part of the state that does mustard-based sauce and I despise it. Goose went to Clemson which is in the part of the state that does tomato-based. If you're interested in trying some premade sauces, though I've heard good things about Bessinger's (note this is the same family as the crazy white supremacist, Maurice Bessinger, but a different branch of that family who've openly disavowed his bigotry). You can also try Sticky Fingers mustard base for 100% apolitical barbeque.

You seem to know an awful lot about something you despise. :sarcasm:

Thanks though. I'll have to check those out :)

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
You know that being a Northerner living in Charlotte that the Southerners' word-revenge for you mis-using the term "BBQ" is when every winter they all start talking about how they're going to need a "toboggan" to wear on their head, right?

If you ever feel like correcting them because you're the local expert on REAL cold weather and snow, and therefore what warm hats, clothes and various types of snow sliding devices should be called, before you speak you remember your words here.

But if you don't just shut up, and instead choose to try and explain to them re toboggans vs knit hats/touques or gloves vs mittens or sleds vs toboggans etc because that's your area of experience and expertise , then it's incumbent upon you to go find A nearby Baptist orgy and repent for all the BBQ-blaspheming you've been doing all your life, since that's theirs.

:laugh: Toboggan is a perfectly acceptable word for a knit hat. I understand that different areas have different words for the same things. Just because a toboggan is a sled doesn't mean it can't be a hat too.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
So let's look at one other crucial thing. What are acceptable desserts to consume after having had barbeque? Offhand, I nominate:

Banana Pudding
Peach Cobbler

Any other nominees?

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
So let's look at one other crucial thing. What are acceptable desserts to consume after having had barbeque? Offhand, I nominate:

Banana Pudding
Peach Cobbler

Any other nominees?

I would like to nominate "more barbecue" as an option, my good sir.

I would put a sarcasm smiley, but I'm not even actually joking here.

NorthStar4Canes

Oct 12, 2007
:laugh: Toboggan is a perfectly acceptable word for a knit hat. I understand that different areas have different words for the same things. Just because a toboggan is a sled doesn't mean it can't be a hat too.

Well, now you're calling a toboggan a "sled", which it most certainly is not. Any "true Northerner" knows toboggans and sleds are 2 distinctly different snow-sliding devices, and there's really no way to confuse the 2. You may as well be from International Falls and not know the difference between gloves and mittens or frostbite and hypothermia.

You might have fooled yourself into thinking you are "accepting" that things are called different things depending on where you are, but it looks like from the above example you simply don't know or care what a lot of things are properly named even in your own area, or why something should have the name it does in any (BBQ).

Did you go to one of those schools where classes weren't graded and misspellings weren't corrected because they were far too busy nurturing your creative psyche or something? In your eyes, is it acceptable to consider Big Bird a Lamborghini because he's yellow? If words are so interchangeable based on whimsy or the theory that "1,000,000 lemmings can't be wrong", why not just trash the whole system and revert to grunting at things while we point?

Last edited:

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
Well, now you're calling a toboggan a "sled", which it most certainly is not. Any "true Northerner" knows toboggans and sleds are 2 distinctly different snow-sliding devices, and there's really no way to confuse the 2.

You may have fooled yourself into thinking you are "accepting" that things are called different things depending on where you are, but it looks like from the above example you simply don't know or care what a lot of things are properly named, or why something should even have the name it does (BBQ).

Did you go to one of those schools where classes weren't graded and misspellings weren't corrected because they were far too busy nurturing your creative psyche or something?

stop it

youre hurting him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad