What trades or UFA signings do you think Stevie has up his sleeve?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Those PTO guys usually fill up the "5th line", because they are building training camp lines as full. But real NHL roster is built for only 14 players. Also Griffins lines are put together, so that one extra is needed:

Training camp structure:

Red Wings 1st line
Red Wings 2nd line
Red Wings 3rd line
Red Wings 4th line
---------------
13th forward - 14th forward - XXX <---------PTO guy like Anisimov
---------------
Griffins 1st line
Griffins 2nd line
Griffins 3rd line
etc.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Yeah I think there is a good chance you might see the NHL go with Taxi squads again for next year, but with the AHL hopefully playing it wouldn't make sense to have any of the young guys just sitting up here.

So I have no problems with an Anisimov tryout. The with trying out younger guys is that if they are young UFAs they are usually not NHL ready. Unless there is a young NCAA UFA like Dekeyser, you won't see a lot of those guys jump directly into an NHL role, and most of the guys like DD don't do PTOs.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Anisimov an insurance policy for Nielsen? I think setting up a cardboard cut out of a player is an acceptable insurance policy for Nielsen, so that's not saying much. We have Stephens from TBL, and we have Veleno. Let them have the Nielsen spot. Or better yet, bring up Pearson and let that kid have a taste of the NHL. He definitely deserves it.
Totally agree...but it's more of a way to guard against Nielsen, if he is sent to AHL, being called up to the big club. Anisimov still has goal-scoring chops (15-20/year) and that's already better than Nielsen's last 3 seasons combined.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Totally agree...but it's more of a way to guard against Nielsen, if he is sent to AHL, being called up to the big club. Anisimov still has goal-scoring chops (15-20/year) and that's already better than Nielsen's last 3 seasons combined.
Except he only had 2 goals last season, struggled, got healthy scratched, and also got injured. He actually got scratched from a team worse than Detroit...

Also, rumor is that he's headed back to the KHL
Artem Anisimov leaving the NHL after this season | Markerzone.com

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Team is probably having, 2 goalies, 13 forwards and 8 defenceman up on the first day.

Greiss
Nedeljkovic

DeKeyser - Hronek
Leddy - Seider
Staal - Stecher
Oesterle - Lindström

Vrana - Larkin - Bertuzzi
Fabbri - Suter - Zadina
Erne - Rasmussen - Namestnikov
Smith - Stephens - Gagner
(Nielsen)

These guys are out of waiver options + Seider and Zadina as the exceptions.

Then one spot is open for either Veleno, Berggren or Raymond.

EDIT:

Forgot Nielsen. Maybe there isn't spots open... :help:

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Hopefully at least two (or even all three) stick by the end of the year. Start by stabilizing the blue line, then add some scoring punch down the stretch.

Fingers crossed it's a more entertaining brand of hockey this season.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Team is probably having, 2 goalies, 13 forwards and 8 defenceman up on the first day.

Greiss
Nedeljkovic

DeKeyser - Hronek
Leddy - Seider
Staal - Stecher
Oesterle - Lindström

Vrana - Larkin - Bertuzzi
Fabbri - Suter - Zadina
Erne - Rasmussen - Namestnikov
Smith - Stephens - Gagner

These guys are out of waiver options + Seider and Zadina as the exceptions.

My guess is if either Veleno, Raymond or Berggren force their way on to the team that guys like Stephens and Gagner will be sent down (waivers) to GR or moved. Yzerman has a lot of backup plans in place, it would seem, for wither eventuality. And with our team’s history of injuries, we would be seeing our kids pretty early on.

Reactions: RabidBadger

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Except he only had 2 goals last season, struggled, got healthy scratched, and also got injured. He actually got scratched from a team worse than Detroit...

Also, rumor is that he's headed back to the KHL
Artem Anisimov leaving the NHL after this season | Markerzone.com
He had a bad year and still was almost .5 ppg for his 19 games. Like I said, I think if he’s on a PTO that he is just a guy getting another look because he has a long history of 15-20+ goals per year on a team that needs more pucks in the net. He’ll force the younger guys to compete harder for jobs…in a best case scenario. Worst that happens is we don’t sign him.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
My guess is if either Veleno, Raymond or Berggren force their way on to the team that guys like Stephens and Gagner will be sent down (waivers) to GR or moved. Yzerman has a lot of backup plans in place, it would seem, for wither eventuality. And with our team’s history of injuries, we would be seeing our kids pretty early on.

Don't see anybody waived, but there will never be injury-free season for 23 guys, and then there will be callups. And very long callups, like half-season.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He had a bad year and still was almost .5 ppg for his 19 games. Like I said, I think if he’s on a PTO that he is just a guy getting another look because he has a long history of 15-20+ goals per year on a team that needs more pucks in the net. He’ll force the younger guys to compete harder for jobs…in a best case scenario. Worst that happens is we don’t sign him.

It might be a Brent Sopel situation where he is a tryout at Detroit's camp but gets signed elsewhere. I would imagine that there are 3 or 4 teams that could genuinely use Anisimov. Shit, Buffalo is still 7.3 million below the cap for the season .

Reactions: golffuul

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
It might be a Brent Sopel situation where he is a tryout at Detroit's camp but gets signed elsewhere. I would imagine that there are 3 or 4 teams that could genuinely use Anisimov. Shit, Buffalo is still 7.3 million below the cap for the season .
That's what I was thinking. He's just a threat against the kids not making it, but will ultimately sign somewhere else.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I doubt it, Staal is washed.

13 points in 53 regular season GP last year then 2 goals, 8 points in 21 playoff games.

Always amazes me how fast some guys fade. Just 3 seasons ago he had 42 damn goals. Sure that was the perfect storm, but I'd still expect him to be a 20 goal guy even as age catches up to him. And he basically was that until last year. After watching him last year though I'd say he'd be lucky to get 10 goals.

Father time is undefeated yet again.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Always amazes me how fast some guys fade. Just 3 seasons ago he had 42 damn goals. Sure that was the perfect storm, but I'd still expect him to be a 20 goal guy even as age catches up to him. And he basically was that until last year. After watching him last year though I'd say he'd be lucky to get 10 goals.

Father time is undefeated yet again.
Wow, I knew he had some solid seasons with Minnesota but didn't realize he scored 42 goals. That's... Wild.

Reactions: golffuul

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Wow, I knew he had some solid seasons with Minnesota but didn't realize he scored 42 goals. That's... Wild.

Yeah he was tied for 4th in goals that year with Malkin. It is wild.

Ovechkin - 49
Laine - 44
W. Karlsson - 43
E. Staal - 42
Malkin - 42
McDavid - 41

Also Anders Lee scored 40 that year? Something was in the water, I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad