What trades or UFA signings do you think Stevie has up his sleeve?

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021

There was already rumours 2 weeks ago.

Arizona is lost. Anybody is available from there.

They’re cleaning house and full
On rebuild, so I guess he’d be like our Bertuzzi, but what’s different is that his salary is like 1 quarter of Bertuzzi’s, and he plays center, so there will be a line out the door bidding for his services

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
They’re cleaning house and full
On rebuild, so I guess he’d be like our Bertuzzi, but what’s different is that his salary is like 1 quarter of Bertuzzi’s, and he plays center, so there will be a line out the door bidding for his services
Dvorak's salary isn't 1/4 of Bertuzzi's, he makes only $300,000 less and is signed for 2 more years longer then Bertuzzi.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Dvorak's salary isn't 1/4 of Bertuzzi's, he makes only $300,000 less and is signed for 2 more years longer then Bertuzzi.

That would be a nice deal anyways to have. A center who is able to win faceoffs (53.7% from last 3 seasons).

Cheaper player (vs. Bertuzzi) and still our positional need.

Our young skill is located on the wings, and no wonder Yzerman would be after a net-crashing center. He is build a hockey team which gels together.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
More I think of it, if Dvorak comes, Rasmussen could be the odd man out.

Vrana - Larkin - Veleno/Berggren/Raymond
Fabbri - Suter - Bertuzzi
Vel/Berg/Ray - Dvorak - Veleno/Berggren/Raymond
Smith - Stephens - Erne

This is more of a long-term look, when Namestnikov, Nielsen and Gagner are gone. But everything will slot in very nice. Good balance in lines/roles.

It also makes sense, because Yzerman has been hoarding this same age class as Larkin. And Rasmussen is younger, maybe taking years to pan out. Could fit better for the Arizona re-rebuild. Dvorak plays the same game as Rasmussen, but it's just more proven. Will fit between our skill wingers.

Last edited:

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I'd take Dvorak in a heartbeat. Hell of a player. He's that somewhat equal to Larkin level C we always talk about needing if we're gonna win without lottery luck. After that we'd just have to wait on Raymond and Seider to hit their prime in a few years and we're in real contender business.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'd gladly take Dvorak. Have a lot easier time seeing him be a 2C compared to Suter.

Reactions: mantha39

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
But Rasmussen for Christine Dvorak? Yes please.
No.. Dvorak is the type of guy I would add if we had a superstar #1C and wanted a solid #2C.

He's not a differencemaker and to give up on Rasmussen who is 22 and just seems to be coming around.. not a great move.

Dvorak for Bertuzzi + a couple of Arizona's 2nd round picks, maybe.

Reactions: r0bert8841

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
No.. Dvorak is the type of guy I would add if we had a superstar #1C and wanted a solid #2C.

He's not a differencemaker and to give up on Rasmussen who is 22 and just seems to be coming around.. not a great move.

Dvorak for Bertuzzi + a couple of Arizona's 2nd round picks, maybe.

Christian Dvorak Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Michael Rasmussen Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

...You wouldn't make that trade?

The guy would have been our second leading scorer behind Vrana if he was in Detroit. And you wouldn't give up a 4th line center that is only a couple of years younger for him?

For real?

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
I listen to his podcasts pretty religiously and he has never said anything about Detroit’s interest in Dvorak. But he does a lot of sports shows so maybe on one of those? Either way, I have no doubt Detroit is very interested in Dvorak, doesn’t mean they can get a deal done

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
If you can get a young top 6 center then I definitely think both Ras and/or Veleno could be on the table. I'd actually lean Veleno because I think he runs in a similar vein to what we already have in the top 6, whereas Ras I think adds a dimension that other players in the system do not.

If the Wings get a top end center later then you can always deal a center, but if you build in hopes of getting one and you don't then you risk being a team like Toronto with major holes in their lineup. Ultimately it always depends on what the price is, but I trust Yzerman with trade values. He has rarely been beat.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
If you can get a young top 6 center then I definitely think both Ras and/or Veleno could be on the table. I'd actually lean Veleno because I think he runs in a similar vein to what we already have in the top 6, whereas Ras I think adds a dimension that other players in the system do not.

If the Wings get a top end center later then you can always deal a center, but if you build in hopes of getting one and you don't then you risk being a team like Toronto with major holes in their lineup. Ultimately it always depends on what the price is, but I trust Yzerman with trade values. He has rarely been beat.

Veleno has well above average NHL speed. Rasmussen has below average NHL speed. He's also younger, cheaper and has more offensive upside. And despite being smaller (not that he's small) Veleno is also decently physical.

I'll take the guy with enough speed to actually be in the play, thank you very much.

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Veleno has well above average NHL speed. Rasmussen has below average NHL speed. He's also younger, cheaper and has more offensive upside. And despite being smaller (not that he's small) Veleno is also decently physical.

I'll take the guy with enough speed to actually be in the play, thank you very much.
I’ll just add, by size people must mean height because according to every report I’ve seen, Veleno has added a lot of muscle to go into his 6ft+ frame

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Christian Dvorak Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

Michael Rasmussen Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

...You wouldn't make that trade?

The guy would have been our second leading scorer behind Vrana if he was in Detroit. And you wouldn't give up a 4th line center that is only a couple of years younger for him?

For real?
3 years is a long time when we're in a rebuild. If we were in compete mode I'd consider it, but we're not.

And if we're judging on last season's stats, we should package Zadina+Larkin+Rasmussen+Hronek for a couple of mid-round picks. Entire team had terrible stats, get over it.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
3 years is a long time when we're in a rebuild. If we were in compete mode I'd consider it, but we're not.

And if we're judging on last season's stats, we should package Zadina+Larkin+Rasmussen+Hronek for a couple of mid-round picks. Entire team had terrible stats, get over it.

The argument for trading Zadina and Larkin for having bad seasons is kind of weak. We know Larkin can be better, and we've seen enough flashes from Zadina to truly expect him to be better.

And I'm not judging this on only last season's stats. It's judging that Rasmussen hasn't shown any noticeable improvements in his game since 2018. No flashes of being a good netfront garbage goal getter. No flashes of being a defensive monster shut down guy. And like it was pointed out a million times in the Rasmussen signing thread, he's paid like a 4th liner because that's all he has shown to be right now. He's replacement level at best until proven otherwise.

Second, you don't ONLY trade for an older player when you're in contention mode. You trade for a guy like Dvorak because you think he can help improve your team. A 22 year old for a 25 year old isn't throwing away the farm. Barring disastrous injury you're getting 5+ quality years from Dvorak.

Dvorak's points per game the last 2 seasons are 0.543 and 0.554. That's a 44.5 and 45.4 per 82 games. And in a full season he hasn't finished below 0.423 points per game. Rasmussen's is definitely not that high. Dvorak has consistently been the better player.

You're banking on Rasmussen's imaginary upside when he hasn't shown the kind of potential that some people here love to pretend he has. If Rasmussen can turn into a Martin Hanzel type 3rd liner I'll change my tune but I'm not holding my breath for the guy to put it all together.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
While I believe that Ras has more upside and stands to have a much better season, this year, I still think if we are serious about Dvorak, then Ras is probably the player we are targeting to move in that kind of a deal. My only concern is what else Arizona wants in the deal. Not interested in giving up too much to get Dvorak. Arizona already has 2 firsts and 5 seconds in 2022 draft. It's pretty obvious what they are attempting to do, but I'm not sure how ideal a situation it would be for us to have to give up futures + Ras for Dvorak.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The argument for trading Zadina and Larkin for having bad seasons is kind of weak. We know Larkin can be better, and we've seen enough flashes from Zadina to truly expect him to be better.

And I'm not judging this on only last season's stats. It's judging that Rasmussen hasn't shown any noticeable improvements in his game since 2018. No flashes of being a good netfront garbage goal getter. No flashes of being a defensive monster shut down guy. And like it was pointed out a million times in the Rasmussen signing thread, he's paid like a 4th liner because that's all he has shown to be right now. He's replacement level at best until proven otherwise.

Second, you don't ONLY trade for an older player when you're in contention mode. You trade for a guy like Dvorak because you think he can help improve your team. A 22 year old for a 25 year old isn't throwing away the farm. Barring disastrous injury you're getting 5+ quality years from Dvorak.

Dvorak's points per game the last 2 seasons are 0.543 and 0.554. That's a 44.5 and 45.4 per 82 games. And in a full season he hasn't finished below 0.423 points per game. Rasmussen's is definitely not that high. Dvorak has consistently been the better player.

You're banking on Rasmussen's imaginary upside when he hasn't shown the kind of potential that some people here love to pretend he has. If Rasmussen can turn into a Martin Hanzel type 3rd liner I'll change my tune but I'm not holding my breath for the guy to put it all together.
So why wasn't Larkin better? Why didn't Zadina's flashes turn into more than 0.09PPG higher scoring than Rasmussen? Why wasn't Larkin a defensive monster shutdown guy?

The idea that you can isolate one 22 year old kid out of all the mess that has been our team is how you end up trading away players that become great elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad