What trades or UFA signings do you think Stevie has up his sleeve?

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
So why wasn't Larkin better? Why didn't Zadina's flashes turn into more than 0.09PPG higher scoring than Rasmussen? Why wasn't Larkin a defensive monster shutdown guy?

The idea that you can isolate one 22 year old kid out of all the mess that has been our team is how you end up trading away players that become great elsewhere.
Because our top forwards were injured or sick for half the year...COVID...and we played low-event hockey the entire year.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
So why wasn't Larkin better? Why didn't Zadina's flashes turn into more than 0.09PPG higher scoring than Rasmussen? Why wasn't Larkin a defensive monster shutdown guy?

The idea that you can isolate one 22 year old kid out of all the mess that has been our team is how you end up trading away players that become great elsewhere.

We're not expecting Larkin to be a shut down guy. We're expecting Larkin to be a scoring center. He played most of the season injured.

Zadina showed much more scoring flash in Grand Rapids and in Detroit between 2018 and 2020 than Rasmussen ever did. Yes he had a bad season but also keep in mind he was also playing with an injured Larkin for good chunks of the season. When he was paired with Vrana near the end of the year we saw Zadina play better.

Your argument is apples to oranges, and it's based on the fear that Rasmussen becomes good somewhere else. I could care less if he becomes a good player somewhere else. What I want any trade involving Rasmussen to do is improve the team now, and in the future. This isn't theoretically trading a 22 year old for a 33 year old trade deadline rental that walks in July. This is theoretically trading a 22 year old for a 25 year old that is clearly better and still has term on his contract.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
No.. Dvorak is the type of guy I would add if we had a superstar #1C and wanted a solid #2C.

He's not a differencemaker and to give up on Rasmussen who is 22 and just seems to be coming around.. not a great move.

Dvorak for Bertuzzi + a couple of Arizona's 2nd round picks, maybe.

That makes way more sense to me than Rasmussen. But I am usually wrong about these things so we shall see. Personally think we would be selling low on Ras. Let him play a whole season, his value will be alot higher. Then trade him. Teams love big players that can play, he will be valuable.

Reactions: Pavels Dog

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

Just to clear this up for people, Friedman never linked Dvorak and Detroit. I listened to the Arizona section about Dvorak and then the Detroit section. Nothing there.

Furthermore, even the teams he did mention were in the context of "these teams make sense." Nothing along the lines that a trade was in the works, but more speculation that it makes sense given where Arizona is at and what those teams need.

It appears the part linking Detroit came from Jim Parsons at the Hockey Writers who cited Friedman saying Detroit had interest on his 31 Thoughts podcast, but again, Friedman never actually did that.

Conclusion: Rumor based on assumptions that makes sense but literally nothing else.

Reactions: Ricelund and NickH8

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021

Larkin really missed Bertuzzi, badly. And Zadina was recovering from Covid, who knows how much that affected his game

better Red than Dead

Apr 23, 2021
Just to clear this up for people, Friedman never linked Dvorak and Detroit. I listened to the Arizona section about Dvorak and then the Detroit section. Nothing there.

Furthermore, even the teams he did mention were in the context of "these teams make sense." Nothing along the lines that a trade was in the works, but more speculation that it makes sense given where Arizona is at and what those teams need.

It appears the part linking Detroit came from Jim Parsons at the Hockey Writers who cited Friedman saying Detroit had interest on his 31 Thoughts podcast, but again, Friedman never actually did that.

Conclusion: Rumor based on assumptions that makes sense but literally nothing else.
Yep, I never heard him say it so I was thinking maybe he mentioned it on a sports show or something, he does a lot of those. In regards to Detroit having interest, it’s obvious they would, but it’s a far stretch to go from interest to actual proposal.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Yes he had a bad season but also keep in mind he was also playing with an injured Larkin for good chunks of the season. When he was paired with Vrana near the end of the year we saw Zadina play better.
And Rasmussen had the benefit of great linemates? LOL.

Zadina showed much more scoring flash in Grand Rapids and in Detroit between 2018 and 2020 than Rasmussen ever did.
Zadina with his 0.64 AHL PPG vs. Rasmussen's 0.67 AHL PPG?

Your argument is apples to oranges, and it's based on the fear that Rasmussen becomes good somewhere else. I could care less if he becomes a good player somewhere else. What I want any trade involving Rasmussen to do is improve the team now, and in the future. This isn't theoretically trading a 22 year old for a 33 year old trade deadline rental that walks in July. This is theoretically trading a 22 year old for a 25 year old that is clearly better and still has term on his contract.
And any trade that makes us older should be thought about twice.
Fact is we'd be selling low on Rasmussen. Next offseason is a much smarter time to make a decision on whether Ras is part of the long-term plan or not.
By then we'll know:

- What kind of development Ras shows when he's a legit full-time NHLer for an entire season
- How Ras looks playing net-front on a more competent powerplay
- If we're able to draft one of the top centers in the 2022 draft

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Yep, I never heard him say it so I was thinking maybe he mentioned it on a sports show or something, he does a lot of those.

The problem with that is that Jim Parsons specifically said it was from the 31 Thoughts podcast. So Jim just misheard or whatever and now everyone is playing a game of telephone repeating the same mistake. That video you linked used Jim's quote to link Detroit, for example.

Myth busted. Minus 50 Bench Bucks to hockey Jim Parsons. The actor Jim Parsons avoids my wrath for today.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
And Rasmussen had the benefit of great linemates? LOL.

Zadina with his 0.64 AHL PPG vs. Rasmussen's 0.67 AHL PPG?

And any trade that makes us older should be thought about twice.
Fact is we'd be selling low on Rasmussen. Next offseason is a much smarter time to make a decision on whether Ras is part of the long-term plan or not.
By then we'll know:

- What kind of development Ras shows when he's a legit full-time NHLer for an entire season
- How Ras looks playing net-front on a more competent powerplay
- If we're able to draft one of the top centers in the 2022 draft

Rasmussen has 45 games in Grand Rapids to Zadina's 80.

Zadina was also younger when he played a full season in the AHL whereas Ras didn't go there full time until his D+3 year.

I don't agree that we'd be selling low on Ras. We'd be selling him as he is. 'Selling low' is what we did with Cholowski by exposing him and letting him get picked. If we trade Ras for a 44 point center that's a good return because I sincerely doubt that Rasmussen ever has that type of offensive impact in his career.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Rasmussen has 45 games in Grand Rapids to Zadina's 80.

Zadina was also younger when he played a full season in the AHL whereas Ras didn't go there full time until his D+3 year.

I don't agree that we'd be selling low on Ras. We'd be selling him as he is. 'Selling low' is what we did with Cholowski by exposing him and letting him get picked. If we trade Ras for a 44 point center that's a good return because I sincerely doubt that Rasmussen ever has that type of offensive impact in his career.
He scored at a 20-25 point pace as a 19/21 year old with minimal minutes on poor teams with crap linemates, and you think a 40-45 point ceiling is out of the question?

Your bias shows when you make excuses for every player on the team except Ras. "Zadina was younger". Well.. how old was Ras his first NHL season? Yet you have no issue counting that at face value.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
He scored at a 20-25 point pace as a 19/21 year old with minimal minutes on poor teams with crap linemates, and you think a 40-45 point ceiling is out of the question?

Your bias shows when you make excuses for every player on the team except Ras. "Zadina was younger". Well.. how old was Ras his first NHL season? Yet you have no issue counting that at face value.

Because Rasmussen has not shown anything in his game that proves he can score more. His shot isn't great. His stickhandling isn't great. His passing isn't great. His skating is bad. He doesn't have a single above average tool in his toolbox save for his height. If it wasn't for his draft pedigree the organization would probably be ready to cut bait, but because of where he was picked we're doing whatever we can to try and salvage him. If he were the 39th overall pick then there is no fear of walking away from this pick.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Because Rasmussen has not shown anything in his game that proves he can score more. His shot isn't great. His stickhandling isn't great. His passing isn't great. His skating is bad. He doesn't have a single above average tool in his toolbox save for his height. If it wasn't for his draft pedigree the organization would probably be ready to cut bait, but because of where he was picked we're doing whatever we can to try and salvage him. If he were the 39th overall pick then there is no fear of walking away from this pick.
Right now they both look like bottom 6 plugs especially when Berggren and Raymond are ready of the NHL

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

It doesn't seem the case at all.

Yzerman has already let two former 1st rounders to walk. Svechnikov and Cholowski. He'd rather protect a 2nd rounder Lindström, a.k.a a better hockeyplayer.

Draft pedigree means absolutely nothing for him.

Reactions: golffuul

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
You seem to be very much in favor of getting the "kids" Givani Smith and Chase Pearson onto our NHL roster, rather than cutting bait with them a couple years ago.

...do you REALLY think those guys are going to have better NHL careers than Rasmussen? Or maybe you're evaluation is off yourself based on where a guy was drafted?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Also want to add something about Friedman. He has said many times, that when he is on radio and his 31 list etc, , that those are many times just what he think MAY make sense or just general his views on things and not stuff he has heard is in the works. He said when he has inside information he makes it much more clear that he has heard stuff from people who know. Not saying Friedman is great or anything, but when I read his lists he seems to make it clear that he has just come up with this as his ideas and not known info, but fans just take everything he says as a 100% for sure rumour.

Fans need to remember when these insiders are on radio/web, they are there for entertainment purposes and if they have nothing to report, they will talk about other things.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
You seem to be very much in favor of getting the "kids" Givani Smith and Chase Pearson onto our NHL roster, rather than cutting bait with them a couple years ago.

...do you REALLY think those guys are going to have better NHL careers than Rasmussen? Or maybe you're evaluation is off yourself based on where a guy was drafted?

I'm under no illusion that Smith and Pearson are going to amount to more than 3rd/4th line players. And we need good 3rd/4th line players just as much as we need good 1st and 2nd line players. Right now we don't know how good they will be in the NHL because one guy hasn't played enough in the NHL, and another hasn't played at all in the NHL.

It doesn't seem the case at all.

Yzerman has already let two former 1st rounders to walk. Svechnikov and Cholowski. He'd rather protect a 2nd rounder Lindström, a.k.a a better hockeyplayer.

Draft pedigree means absolutely nothing for him.

I think the situation with Svechnikov and Cholowski is this: They are 19th and 20th overall picks who each had 5 years in the organization (Svechnikov lost a whole year to injury) so after 5 years their time was up. With this being Rasmussen's 5th year in the organization it's time for him to shine.

It's also easier walking away from late 1st round picks than it is a top 10 pick. The NHL is littered with guys who are not good NHLers but teams keep them around because they were picked top 10 X number of years ago.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Not sure about UFA signings, but I suspect he'll re-sign Vrana for 3 x $5.25.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Anisimov could make sense on a PTO as a back up plan they sign for league minimum if Nielsen decides to "IRetire" and they don't want to put a young guy in a part time spot on the roster.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Anisimov could make sense on a PTO as a back up plan they sign for league minimum if Nielsen decides to "IRetire" and they don't want to put a young guy in a part time spot on the roster.
Anisimov is absolutely an insurance policy for Nielsen as well as Raymond/Berggren needing half a season or more in the AHL. Worst that happens is that Anisimov shows well in pre-season and he either signs a deal and gets eventually moved or we release him and he signs on somewhere else.

Macoun

Feb 8, 2009

Rather we try out some younger guys that have potential than waste time with Anisimov.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Anisimov is cooked. I would much rather play any of the kids.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Anisimov is absolutely an insurance policy for Nielsen as well as Raymond/Berggren needing half a season or more in the AHL. Worst that happens is that Anisimov shows well in pre-season and he either signs a deal and gets eventually moved or we release him and he signs on somewhere else.

Anisimov an insurance policy for Nielsen? I think setting up a cardboard cut out of a player is an acceptable insurance policy for Nielsen, so that's not saying much. We have Stephens from TBL, and we have Veleno. Let them have the Nielsen spot. Or better yet, bring up Pearson and let that kid have a taste of the NHL. He definitely deserves it.

Reactions: golffuul

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Rather we try out some younger guys that have potential than waste time with Anisimov.

That's pretty much what it would be if he's coming in on a PTO... If a Veleno/Berggren/Raymond/etc. looks good enough to play meaningful minutes every game, then I'm sure Yzerman puts them on the roster and someone else takes up a spot as the spare forward.

But if Yzerman doesn't think those guys are ready to take on a regular role in the NHL, he isn't going to keep them around as a spare part to sit in the press box or skate sheltered minutes on the 4th line, when they could be playing big minutes in GR. Makes more sense having a Nielsen or Anisimov in that type of role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad