What to expect from Steve Mason?

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I wanted Montoya the last go around. Still can't believe he signed for 600k and we signed Leighton for a mill. :shakehead

Speaking of Leighton, he's having a good year in the KHL. Don't be surprised when he's back next year.

Perfect time for one of the most overused GIFs on the internet.

MmF3w.gif

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
it's been a few years and i'm still mad about laviolette starting leighton over boucher in game 6 of the SCF

That was the most idiotic move of his tenure. He was lucky the Flyers salvaged a win.

His handling of Bob was also infuriating....

Embiid

On early summer vacay
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
If they salvaged the series we'd be a happier group of people.

Game 6 was when the Blackhawk clinched and arguably the worst day of my life haha

I think I'm thinking the Buffalo series not the Blackhawks in 2010? Which game did he play and then went AWOL afterwards supposedly because he sucked pretty bad? It was against Buffalo...key game in the series.

EDIT...didn't catch the SCF reference...my bad. Automatically thought of the Buffalo series

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm hoping Mason can creep up to end the year at .920.

That would make for a solid season line. GAA 2.50, SV% .920. I'll take it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
That will be tough. I'd be happy with .915 given how often the team is shorthanded, and their many defensive breakdowns.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
According to instagram he really likes fast cars. Let's hope he's careful. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Wow, just realized Rask and Bishop are 27 and 28, respectively. Rask's been on the scene for a while, but didn't establish himself really as the guy until he was 25. Same with Varlamov and Bernier. Schneider is 28, and still not a starter...

I guess that's not really a revelation, but when you think about it, Steve Mason is 26 right now (the same age or younger than all those guys). Had he been developed on the traditional goalie track, he would only now be getting his first couple years of starting action. I wonder what the general perception of him would be if he had been a backup all this time getting favorable starts, and jumped onto the scene only recently. I'd think he'd be held in much higher regard.

Thinking about that makes me a lot less weary of his contract. I'm willing to ignore most of his record in Columbus. He should not have been thrown to the wolves so soon, especially on a team that was in disarray like the Jackets. If he had been getting 20-30 starts for the last several years against generally easy competition (like Bernier and Schneider), and only been handed the reigns around 2011/2012, I seriously think people would have the same kind of faith that is placed in some of the above names.

Also goes to show how patient we should be with Stolarz. Let him get about two years in the AHL after this season, then a couple years as a backup before giving him heavier workloads. I'm really excited about him, but I hope we don't see him as a Flyer until he's around 23, and even then in a very light role as the backup.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Rask probably would have established himself sooner, but Tim Thomas posted some of the all-time all-time numbers in 2011

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Rask probably would have established himself sooner, but Tim Thomas posted some of the all-time all-time numbers in 2011

True. Price is another example of a young, established starter. But, still, the point remains, developing goaltenders is a very slow process, and it shouldn't necessarily be held against Mason that his development was totally botched by the Jackets.

It's also mind blowing that Cory Schneider is 28 and not yet a starter in this league. He's the anti-Mason in terms of development. I can't imagine he's happy about that.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
mason i think is actually playing well overall but his rebound control is beyond scary.

i guess some rebounds off the pads are gonna happen but i honestly think sometimes he should try to kick them out hard instead of dumping them 5 feet out in the slot for a complete gimme for the opposing forwards.

and rebounds off popouts on the glove hand side just should not happen.

he has to clean things up if and when this team gets in the playoffs.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
True. Price is another example of a young, established starter. But, still, the point remains, developing goaltenders is a very slow process, and it shouldn't necessarily be held against Mason that his development was totally botched by the Jackets.

It's also mind blowing that Cory Schneider is 28 and not yet a starter in this league. He's the anti-Mason in terms of development. I can't imagine he's happy about that.

Schnieder could have gotten away and been a #1 somewhere else a few years ago when he would have been a Group V UFA, but he accepted a new deal with the Canucks and ended that.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
mason i think is actually playing well overall but his rebound control is beyond scary.

i guess some rebounds off the pads are gonna happen but i honestly think sometimes he should try to kick them out hard instead of dumping them 5 feet out in the slot for a complete gimme for the opposing forwards.

and rebounds off popouts on the glove hand side just should not happen.

he has to clean things up if and when this team gets in the playoffs.

He's not suddenly going to correct his flaws because it's the playoffs.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He looked shakey today with the routine stuff. He doesn't seem to have much confidence in his glove hand. It looked like he was ducking on high shots. He made some big saves to keep the game with in 1 though.

onlylordsvsmorebp

HEAVYHOCKEY ENTHUSIAST
Dec 27, 2011
VAN ISLE CANADA
He looked shakey today with the routine stuff. He doesn't seem to have much confidence in his glove hand. It looked like he was ducking on high shots. He made some big saves to keep the game with in 1 though.

he did make some good glove saves but it did look like he was ducking as he was reaching for the puck.

just about every game he makes great saves and big saves on rebounds,but just about every game he has shakey moments and will let in a mediocre goal.

i was watching him on the weak third goal and he was down covering the near post as the puck came out of the corner(which was fine)but just as he was getting up the low shot went underneath him,if he stayed down -no goal.if he had gotten up sooner -no goal.bad timing and big big goal in that game.

but he did play well after that.got to respect his effort following that goal.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I just hope mason is the bridge to Stolarz. I don't think you can win a cup with mason, atleast with our D. However i have a lot of hope that stolarz can be the guy.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
I just hope mason is the bridge to Stolarz. I don't think you can win a cup with mason, atleast with our D. However i have a lot of hope that stolarz can be the guy.

wow !!! so your writing off Mason and going with a untested guy ?

:help:

sorry but thats REALLY reaching.. i'll be in Masons corner until its proven he isnt the guy...

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Stolarz is likely three years away from significant NHL playing time and Mason has a three year contract, so I'm fine with Mason being the bridge till then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad