What to expect from Steve Mason?

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm not a Flyers fan but noticed Mason played some real good hockey when he got dealt. Any chance he returns to his Calder form? Or was that just a hot streak after a trade?

Last edited by a moderator:

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
I'm not a Flyers fan but noticed Mason played some real good hockey when he got dealt. Any chance he returns to his Calder form? Or was that just a hot streak after a trade?

Well all we can do as Flyers fans is hope those 7 games were just the beginning of a turnaround in his career. Most of us are smart enough to realize he had pretty much zero pressure coming here seeing as how we weren't in playoff contention. The team was strictly playing for pride at that point so we'll see how he does when the games truly matter. One thing he has going for him that we haven't had in a goalie in quite a while is great puck handling skills. That will be one component that will help the transition game that this team severely lacked. He also looked pretty agile and made some flashy saves. It seems he has the physical ability (as long as he doesn't get lazy again and stays in shape). It's the mental side of the game that we need to be worried about and are. Hopefully getting out of that losing, hell hole environment helps his mindset and he can enjoy playing the game again and play at a high level. Fingers crossed

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
The Flyers will do their best to hang him out to dry with poor pinches and bad skating, among other things. As long as he stays cool and confident, he should be ok. On the flip side, his ability to handle the puck should significantly help the defense from the forecheck, and his athleticism is an improvement from Bryz. If he hits a rough patch, we have a proven winner, veteran, and friend of Mason's in Emery to take over for a stretch while he regains confidence. I think he'll do well. I'm optimistic on the subject.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
im going to go on record right now and say Mason DOESNT have a mental problem this season..

im dead certain he's learned from his past expereince and saw what happened to Bryz when he got "lost in the woods"..

ill say hes fully ready for the load, and whats expected of him.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I fall into the cautiously optimistic camp.

It's beyond a question that Mason has talent. He has demonstrated it at various times throughout the span of his career and across all levels. I think it's entirely fair to question his mental make-up and consistency.

All that said, wouldn't it be amazing if the Blue Jackets and Flyers solved each others goaltending for the next decade in consecutive years? A boy can dream.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm not expecting lights out from him but at the min an above 90% SV%...... .also no media circus surrounding him hopefully but not holding my breath.

flyersfan28

Aug 17, 2013
mason is underrated is one of the best goalie to move the puck that really help the defence
i think he is top10 maybe top5 goalie

Michael Smitley

Casual Fan
Aug 25, 2012
Sylvania, OH
I hope his change of scenery helps out. He lacked confidence in Columbus and it really showed on the ice. I've certainly had my fair share of frustration with the guy.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
my top 5
1quick
2lundqvist
3crawford
4 rask
5 holtby
U+WOT+M8+description+.+http+www.facebook.com+martin.w.keating_079b02_4051759.jpg

Are you serious?

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
sucks that the default story in philly media is about goaltending

nothing special happen in tonights game? what about that one goal x let up? what a disaster!

funghoul

Pejorative Sluro montalbon
Jul 14, 2010
upper drugs
how manny game you think mason play this years?

I think he'll be our backup. Emery is too good a goalie when healthy to not play majority of games. hopefully mason was for real last year and if he is as comfortable here as he looked he'll be one of the best backups in the NHL but Emery's the starter in my mind so 30 games for mason.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
how manny game you think mason play this years?

I honestly couldn't even give you an answer because I have zero faith in neither of them, both are total wildcards.

I'm not so sure Emery could hold up physically with the bulk of the starts. I'm also not sure if Mason can put it all together mentally to emerge as the bonafide starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad