What to expect from Steve Mason?

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
So... the elephant in the room atm is this guy. Why is he not getting starts? Is Berube trying to kill his confidence? Seriously the team has been playing better defensively lately. It's not like he played awful in the starts he had this year he was getting peppered with awesome scoring chances.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Emery has started like 4 games in a row? You don't think that's an issue?.

I'm not starting a goalie controversy if thats what youre getting at. I'm annoyed our coach has benched our starting goaltender in favor of a guy with no hips for 4 games

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
No. Emery looked great; you ride the hot hand, especially while Mason was struggling.

If Mason can't handle sitting for a few games, then I don't want him here anyway.

Note: I think Mason will be fine.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
That guy with no hips has gotten us our only wins of the season. Why does that annoy you? Personally, Idc which goalie plays, as long as they're giving us a chance to win. Mason wasn't playing bad imo, but Emery was better. Whether that's because the team played better in front of him, you can make that case. Doesn't matter though. Mason is the better goalie, and that will show through an 82 game season.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012

Emery went 3-1 in those 4 games and looked great doing it. No issue.

Berube was going with the hot hand. Most coaches do that. Mason will be fine. I think he let maybe one or two bad goals in the games he's been in. The others were because our defense is...well...just look at it. Otherwise, he was playing very well.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
That guy with no hips has gotten us our only wins of the season. Why does that annoy you? Personally, Idc which goalie plays, as long as they're giving us a chance to win. Mason wasn't playing bad imo, but Emery was better. Whether that's because the team played better in front of him, you can make that case. Doesn't matter though. Mason is the better goalie, and that will show through an 82 game season.

Very well put. Mason will play well in the next few games...

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I'm not starting a goalie controversy if thats what youre getting at. I'm annoyed our coach has benched our starting goaltender in favor of a guy with no hips for 4 games

And in those 4 games he beat 3 top teams... there's no issue here at all.

Mason knows that they're just riding the hot hand, like every team does. Mason is back tomorrow and Emery will probably only be played sparingly like last year unless he gets really hot again.

I was as critical of Emery as anyone last season and I have zero issue with him starting those games. The only thing I worried about was if it'd wear on him and he'd be in worse condition later on, but we won't know for sure if that's the case either way.

UKFlyers

Dec 28, 2011
No. Emery looked great; you ride the hot hand, especially while Mason was struggling.

If Mason can't handle sitting for a few games, then I don't want him here anyway.

Note: I think Mason will be fine.

Exactly this. Mason isn't the answer if Emery starting a few games in a row at the start of the season "destroys his confidence" like a few have been saying. Berube has his faults, but the guy can't win at times. Why am I seeing posts about a goalie controversy? It's almost as if people are willing it on so they can use it as another stick to beat Berube with

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
The biggest problem with Emery starting a lot is whether or not his body can handle it. I think Mason will be fine though.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
What would happen if the elephant was Dumbo?

Dumbo drank once, he would be run out of town.

drunk-dumbo.gif

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
And in those 4 games he beat 3 top teams... there's no issue here at all.

Mason knows that they're just riding the hot hand, like every team does. Mason is back tomorrow and Emery will probably only be played sparingly like last year unless he gets really hot again.

I was as critical of Emery as anyone last season and I have zero issue with him starting those games. The only thing I worried about was if it'd wear on him and he'd be in worse condition later on, but we won't know for sure if that's the case either way.

well said, couldnt agree more. he deserved to play. we will need Mason to play well, too. lets see vs FLA

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The NYR did the same thing with Talbot last year. Emery did what you hope your backup does...come in. Play well, and win games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad