What To Do With Ryan O’Reilly ?

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
I was told that we couldn't sign him before the draft which is what lead to my confusion.

I believe we can't sign him until the first day of free agency (a year before his contract expires), that said we should know by the draft

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
give him 6.8 mil max.

Kopitar has 2 cups and isn't signed at 7. Neither should O'Money bags.

Kopitar has Doughty, Quick, and an entire team built to win behind him, and is on a contract he signed 5+ years ago, as an RFA. How about we compare Kopitar's next contract, which will start the same time as ROR's, and be a UFA deal. I am betting he gets $9m+.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Kopitar has Doughty, Quick, and an entire team built to win behind him, and is on a contract he signed 5+ years ago, as an RFA. How about we compare Kopitar's next contract, which will start the same time as ROR's, and be a UFA deal. I am betting he gets $9m+.

Or similarly scale it to "percentage of entire team cap at the time of signing" and go from there.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I was hoping that the Pens would have been able to trade for ROR. I don't think they can now, but humor me, please.

Let's say the Pens still had Despres who can play either defense position. Would an off-season package of Sutter and Despres (and a bit more) be of interest?

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
I was hoping that the Pens would have been able to trade for ROR. I don't think they can now, but humor me, please.

Let's say the Pens still had Despres who can play either defense position. Would an off-season package of Sutter and Despres (and a bit more) be of interest?

Sutter, Despres and Bennett might interest me.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Why would Colorado do that? Sutter is nothing more than a decent #3 center, Despers hasn't been all that good and Bennett is made out of glass.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
Why would Colorado do that? Sutter is nothing more than a decent #3 center, Despers hasn't been all that good and Bennett is made out of glass.
Oh man I think you don't follow Penguins and Despres closely? I'd love to have him next to EJ in our 1st pairing. He is still young (23) and with very good potential, one of the best hitters in the NHL, but also can score around 30 points. He can play on PK but also on PP. I think he is better d-man that all LHD we already have in our roster. Bigras could be at his level but not so physical. Despres plays like we hope Siemens will, but as for now Simon is in much better position than Duncan. Hope Siemens in 2 years will be as good as Despres is right now.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
If we trade O'Reilly with Despers being the main piece going back it would be a rip-off. I don't see what's so special about Despers, plus he's on the Ducks right now (that slipped my mind when I first replied) and he was traded for Ben freaking Lovejoy.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
If we trade O'Reilly with Despers being the main piece going back it would be a rip-off. I don't see what's so special about Despers, plus he's on the Ducks right now (that slipped my mind when I first replied) and he was traded for Ben freaking Lovejoy.

No, I think it's out of question right now, but I would love we somehow gets him via trade. Of course not for O'Reilly straight up.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh man I think you don't follow Penguins and Despres closely? I'd love to have him next to EJ in our 1st pairing. He is still young (23) and with very good potential, one of the best hitters in the NHL, but also can score around 30 points. He can play on PK but also on PP. I think he is better d-man that all LHD we already have in our roster. Bigras could be at his level but not so physical. Despres plays like we hope Siemens will, but as for now Simon is in much better position than Duncan. Hope Siemens in 2 years will be as good as Despres is right now.

Despres is exactly as the Penguins management described him: You never know what you'll get. One game he can look like a top pair guy, the next game he looks worse than Ben Lovejoy and like a #7 guy. That isn't a player I would have wanted as the main piece in an O'Reilly trade. Add to that Bennett is a bandaid disguised as a hockey player and no thanks to him.

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011

yes, and O'reilly is surrounded by a great core. You keep a core together by getting paid a reasonable amount.

kopitar's next contract will be worth that much because he's actually done something at 6.8 mil and helped the team get 2 cups.

Radar has done nothing to warrant the same as kopitar. If oreilly keeps playing like this into next year and helps the team make a deep run then yes. by all means offer 7.5

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
yes, and O'reilly is surrounded by a great core. You keep a core together by getting paid a reasonable amount.

kopitar's next contract will be worth that much because he's actually done something at 6.8 mil and helped the team get 2 cups.

Radar has done nothing to warrant the same as kopitar. If oreilly keeps playing like this into next year and helps the team make a deep run then yes. by all means offer 7.5

But we as a group have already decided (and it seems as though Roykic has as well) that ROR has to be signed, or at least agreed to sign on July 1st, by the draft. That precludes seeing how he does in next years playoffs. ROR has already proved he can play well, and at this point deserves more than Duchene...he has outscored him this year, played tougher minutes than any other forward and led by example (as has Landy). We are lucky that Landy is on such a cheap contract. I think $50m/7yrs works for both ROR and the Avs, but I would not even be too opposed to $60m/8yrs. Which is still MUCH less than what Kopitar will make. And yes, Kopitar deserves more...and will get it. Using Toews as a comparable, Kopitar gets at least $9m unless he takes a stupidly sweetheart deal for LA. And on the same vein, $7m/yr is exactly 2/3 of what Toews makes....and I think ROR is worth at least that....similar defensive play, offense at about 2/3rds (closer to 5/6ths this year actually, and 68-64 last year), plus we are seeing decent leadership. Winning a cup is a team achievement, so not having one is not a knock on ROR....do you really think that this team has had a cup worthy roster at any point in the last 6 years?

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
because I don't assume kopitar will get 9.

He is getting whatever he wants. With where contracts are going 9 seems fair (way too much for my liking, for any player, but this is where contracts are at nowadays). If Kopitar takes 7 that's not going to suddenly mean he is worth only 7.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Think of Anze Kopitar making $9 million a year, and then remember that the Rangers signed Bobby Holik for that much 13 freaking years ago. I still can't wrap my head around that one.

Let's just give ROR what he wants, goal totals aside, he was pretty damn good this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: