What To Do With Ryan O’Reilly ?

UltimateHKY

One of the big questions is does the team need a top-two centre? Currently Colorado has Matt Duchene (who is signed until the 2018-19 season) and Nathan MacKinnon who is currently playing wing. Many believe that MacKinnon is slowly learning the defensive zone responsibilities, and everybody expects that MacKinnon will move back to centre sooner than later.

Article here: http://ultimatehockeynetwork.com/uhn-│-avalanche│-what-to-do-with-ryan-oreilly/

www.UltimateHockeyNetwork.com
@joshwald @UltimateHKY

Let us know if you have any interest contributing for us at UHN. We're always looking for more writers passionate about hockey! [email protected]

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
I feel like if you look at it for what's best for the team, you trade ROR at the deadline. It gives management time to evaluate where the team is at going forward. That way it gives them atleast 20 games to see what else they need to address in the offseason, rather than the Stastny situation where we had to find out the hard way where our team was at without him, and didn't have very many options to try to fix the issues.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I feel like if you look at it for what's best for the team, you trade ROR at the deadline. It gives management time to evaluate where the team is at going forward. That way it gives them atleast 20 games to see what else they need to address in the offseason, rather than the Stastny situation where we had to find out the hard way where our team was at without him, and didn't have very many options to try to fix the issues.

THe you'll get more for him at the deadline than the draft logic I can at least understand, may not agree with it, but I at least get it, but this makes little sense to me considering we're expecting some serious changes to the defense and the core forwards bouncing back next season, finishing this season without ROR will tell us very little about where we really are other than giving us the knowledge that if you remove a pivotal part of a struggling forward core, they'll struggle even more.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If he says he will extend his stay in Colorado, do you give him the NMC I'm sure he will ask for?

If he wants a NMC, he won't be getting all the money that he wants. If he wants security I'm sure the Avs would give it to him, but not at the expense of having to sign him for more than $6M/per

HockeyHead21

Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
If he wants a NMC, he won't be getting all the money that he wants. If he wants security I'm sure the Avs would give it to him, but not at the expense of having to sign him for more than $6M/per

Can't see him taking anything less than 6M. I could be wrong and it would be great if I am but I just can't see it.

I also can't see him willing to reup with us and leaving the potenial of getting shipped out two years in if they don't fix the D. NMC might be a stretch so maybe a limited NTC? Either way, I hope they get this done soon.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Can't see him taking anything less than 6M. I could be wrong and it would be great if I am but I just can't see it.

I also can't see him willing to reup with us and leaving the potenial of getting shipped out two years in if they don't fix the D. NMC might be a stretch so maybe a limited NTC? Either way, I hope they get this done soon.

He shouldn't be given a NMC if he insists on being the highest paid player here, because he simply isn't worth it. Why handicap yourself both in terms of cap space and in terms of who you can trade him to just because he'd ask for a NMC. It doesn't make sense, he gets one or the other. My preference of course would be to give him a NMC if he asked for it, but he won't because his 1st preference is money

avsdesaulniers

Oct 13, 2014
Trois-Rivières, QC
Just DO something.

Sign long term or trade, but make it quick! This team lacks confidence. How about management shows it knows where its going... Maybe that'll help everyone settle down a bit and get with the plan.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'd say talk to his agency about a long-term deal, but given how the last negotiation went, I'm sure they'd tell us to wait until next season is over again, so trade him.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
Does anyone in their right mind think that ROR is going to be easy to sign long-term in the offseason? This guy, his "life coach" daddy & his agent have shown themselves to be the worst kind of money-grubbers imaginable, so expect more of the same folks. I envision the O'Reilly camp to be looking for $7+ mil./yr. for 5 years---minimum! Oh yes, we'll hear yet again from his agent what a "generational talent" he is, how "incredibly unique" his 2-way skills are, and how Ryan is basically modern day hockey's version of Bryan Trottier. LOL. It will be nauseating...to say the least. As I see it, the Avs have no choice but to trade Yoga Boy ASAP. Resigning him in the offseason is gonna cost waaaaaaaaay more than what he's worth---and that's provided he even still wants to stay in Denver (which I doubt). I'm just hoping Sakic & Roy don't fumble the ball here, coz a screwup in this case will cost the Avs dearly.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Get signed long term at <6.75m AAV for 6-8 years and offer a limited NTC for half the term (his choice of front, middle, or back half).

If he won't take it, trade him at the draft or by August 31.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Generally players take LESS money on longer contracts than more money.

ROR is a special boy though. One of the best defensive players of the last 20 years.

I say fill his scooter with gas, give him a hug, and wave goodbye.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad