What To Do With Ryan O’Reilly ?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I think every core forward has had a disappointing season. The last 25 games doesn't change anything. As great as O'Reilly has been lately, he stunk for the first 30 or so games. Same with Landy, although I'm pretty sure he wasn't healthy. Duchene just needs to produce more, but he sure isn't being given a lot to work with on the PP. He doesn't even get to play with Iginla on the PP.

The Avs desperately need to find Duchene a long-term winger.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I think every core forward has had a disappointing season. The last 25 games doesn't change anything. As great as O'Reilly has been lately, he stunk for the first 30 or so games. Same with Landy, although I'm pretty sure he wasn't healthy. Duchene just needs to produce more, but he sure isn't being given a lot to work with on the PP. He doesn't even get to play with Iginla on the PP.

Avs 2nd PK Unit is pretty much Duchene and every second rate player we have. Who would be the 2nd best player on that unit? Mitchell or Redmond :laugh:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Any guy who has chemistry with dutch they trade away or dont sign lol. Flash and PAP. Kinda wish Roy put Tangs back on his wing or try Everberg there.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Any guy who has chemistry with dutch they trade away or dont sign lol. Flash and PAP. Kinda wish Roy put Tangs back on his wing or try Everberg there.

Can add Mueller getting hurt, and McGinn missing the entire season to the list.

The Avs have me thinking they should build around all of O'Reilly, Duchene, MacKinnon, and Landeskog again. Fix the defence some other way than trading O'Reilly. Keep the Landeskog-O'Reilly-MacKinnon line together.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Hmmm. So I'm the only one who thinks Duchene has had a disappointing season? More so than the others on the team? Can't only be because of my expectations for him. I seem to recall pretty much everyone in the prediction thread saying 80+ points for Duchene this season with the rest of the players being much lower.

The reason I'm willing to give Duchene a pass this season is because Sidney Crosby is only on pace to score 85 points, and that will lead the entire league in scoring. Now, it isn't much of a pass because, given the type of offensive player he is, I would be very happy with a 60 point season from Duchene this year, but I don't think he'll get there. But scoring is down across the league, so I guess naturally point totals are going to go down and it is evident given the leading scorer isn't on pace to break 90 points in a full regular season for the first time since 1967-1968, where Stan Mikita had 87 points in 72 games played

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
He wasnt with Iginla all year but has been a fair bit. So where did all his assists go, what's the missing hole? He's down 20 assists from last year. It's not missing out on McGinn or PA. And yeah having a decent consistent LW would be nice.

I'd say it's a combination of :

- our team's overall poor start
- our dreadful Powerplay (yeah, as someone else alluded to he's been mostly on the 2nd unit with Briere & sometimes McLeod :shakehead)
- scoring being down league-wide
- no consistent LW

Those are all factors that have had an impact. While some people want to point to RoR and Landeskog's defensive game (as if Duchene is just pure offense - sorry this is a myth) I thought Dutchy was easily our best and most dangerous forward last night. Sometimes, it doesn't show up on the scoresheet.

Hmmm. So I'm the only one who thinks Duchene has had a disappointing season? More so than the others on the team? Can't only be because of my expectations for him. I seem to recall pretty much everyone in the prediction thread saying 80+ points for Duchene this season with the rest of the players being much lower.

No, you are right in saying he's been disappointing at times during the season but so have a lot of the guys on the team.

I'm MUCH, MUCH more disappointed in the coaching staff personally than I am with the players themselves. A team with this kind of talent cannot be 29th in the league on the PP. There are many other strategies on the PP other than "hey, let's get it back to the point for the big bomb". :rolleyes:

To quote Ned Flanders' beatnik dad: "We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas".

Anyways, I think this thread has been derailed. What the hell are we going to do with O'Reilly? :D

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'd say it's a combination of :

- our team's overall poor start
- our dreadful Powerplay (yeah, as someone else alluded to he's been mostly on the 2nd unit with Briere & sometimes McLeod :shakehead)
- scoring being down league-wide
- no consistent LW

Those are all factors that have had an impact. While some people want to point to RoR and Landeskog's defensive game (as if Duchene is just pure offense - sorry this is a myth) I thought Dutchy was easily our best and most dangerous forward last night. Sometimes, it doesn't show up on the scoresheet.

No, you are right in saying he's been disappointing at times during the season but so have a lot of the guys on the team.

I'm MUCH, MUCH more disappointed in the coaching staff personally than I am with the players themselves. A team with this kind of talent cannot be 29th in the league on the PP. There are many other strategies on the PP other than "hey, let's get it back to the point for the big bomb". :rolleyes:

To quote Ned Flanders' beatnik dad: "We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas".

Anyways, I think this thread has been derailed. What the hell are we going to do with O'Reilly? :D

I really want to comment on your powerplay opinion because I couldn't agree more. Last night the folks from Sportsnet were talking about Iginla and his time in Calgary which they followed closely for so many years. They said they've seen Iginla do a lot but one thing they've never seen was him line up on the point on the PP. I realize it's good to have a hard shot on the PP but Iginla is money in the slot and pretty much nowhere else (other than in closer). Why does Duchene have powerplay linemates like Mitchell and McLeod when a guy like Iginla who is absolutely money in the slot is available but instead is put to waste on the point on the O'Reilly unit?

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
The reason I'm willing to give Duchene a pass this season is because Sidney Crosby is only on pace to score 85 points, and that will lead the entire league in scoring. Now, it isn't much of a pass because, given the type of offensive player he is, I would be very happy with a 60 point season from Duchene this year, but I don't think he'll get there. But scoring is down across the league, so I guess naturally point totals are going to go down and it is evident given the leading scorer isn't on pace to break 90 points in a full regular season for the first time since 1967-1968, where Stan Mikita had 87 points in 72 games played

Last year Duchene was 17th in points amongst forwards and that was with missing 11 games. This year he is 72nd in scoring amongst forwards with a completely healthy season.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Last year Duchene was 17th in points amongst forwards and that was with missing 11 games. This year he is 72nd in scoring amongst forwards with a completely healthy season.
His even strength production is down, but not that bad. Duchene leads the team in even strength points. It's his PP production which has dipped big time. He only has 4 PP points. Last year, through 71 games, he had 17. He hasn't played as well as last year by a long shot, but the PP has absolutely crushed this team.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
I think 4/~26-27 is perfectly fine. About what Lucic and some others(man i miss capgeek) make. He will still come off contract in his prime so he can get another big one. The 8 year deal is a little too long for O'Reilly I feel. He comes off at 33. 4 years he comes off at 29.

If he wants more than that he is just being unreasonable...

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I do wonder if something like a 3-4 year deal is something that is going to be more amicable. God, I can't wait for this to be over. I am so sick of talking about O'Reilly and his contract for three damn years now.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I do wonder if something like a 3-4 year deal is something that is going to be more amicable. God, I can't wait for this to be over. I am so sick of talking about O'Reilly and his contract for three damn years now.

Me too. That's why I wanted him traded so we could forget about him already. Just so sick of him and his money problems. Great player but not worth this muchange trouble. They should have traded him.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

I'd be fine with giving him a 3 or 4 year contract for as much as $7M per season or even $7.25M (that's the Krejci contract), though I wouldn't include a NTC/NMC if that's going to be the case.

Gives ROR the $$$ that he wants all the while keeping our options open for the future.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I'd be fine with giving him a 3 or 4 year contract for as much as $7M per season or even $7.25M (that's the Krejci contract), though I wouldn't include a NTC/NMC if that's going to be the case.

Gives ROR the $$$ that he wants all the while keeping our options open for the future.

Agreed. I'm in agreement with TPS - O'Reilly was the team's most important forward this past season. Which IMO is a really good thing, so they get miles away from that 'internal structure' nonsense they've stuck with over the past couple of seasons. There are clearly some chemistry issues on the first 2 lines for Colorado, but this is player they really have to lock up. Pay him $7M per and move on to the other problems in the lineup. 6 years, $45M.

The Avs are in the position of having A- versions of Bergeron and Doan for years to come - they can't blow that.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Just pay him.

He's such an important player for any team. He's the type of guy you win Cups with. In 2-3 years, he's undoubtedly going to be regarded in the same league of guys like Bergeron, Backes, Plekanec, etc. The guys who are capable of putting up 55-65 points consistently, and are threats to win the Selke every year because of the all around game.

Give him his 6 years, $42M contract and lets move on from all the bad negotiations, and acknowledge his important to this team. Give him McCleod's A as well.

We can fix the Defense through other options. Drafting Provorov or Werenski this summer alone would do a lot for our Defensive issues(Likely not this year, but in a couple of years without a doubt). Prov/Were + Bigras on the Left Side, EJ + Barrie on the Right side. That likely makes for one of the best Top 4's in the league on ~3 years from now.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
Just pay him.

He's such an important player for any team. He's the type of guy you win Cups with. In 2-3 years, he's undoubtedly going to be regarded in the same league of guys like Bergeron, Backes, Plekanec, etc. The guys who are capable of putting up 55-65 points consistently, and are threats to win the Selke every year because of the all around game.

Give him his 6 years, $42M contract and lets move on from all the bad negotiations, and acknowledge his important to this team. Give him McCleod's A as well.

We can fix the Defense through other options. Drafting Provorov or Werenski this summer alone would do a lot for our Defensive issues(Likely not this year, but in a couple of years without a doubt). Prov/Were + Bigras on the Left Side, EJ + Barrie on the Right side. That likely makes for one of the best Top 4's in the league on ~3 years from now.

:yo::yo::yo:

At the very least, I like the optimisim.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Pay the man! He is too important to let go and is really becoming a difference maker offensively. He works very well with Landeskog and looked great with Dutchy last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad