What To Do With Ryan O’Reilly ?

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Such a good player. The contract situation is the only reason a trade would even be considered, otherwise he'd be one of the untouchables. Hopefully they get something done so he's here long-term.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
recently watched oreilly at the flames game on monday and on tv tonight. i really truly believe that guy is the heart of this team, its ridiculous we even have to consider trading him, id rather trade duchene then oreilly. management needs to get this guys signed my offer 7.5 for 8 years

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
recently watched oreilly at the flames game on monday and on tv tonight. i really truly believe that guy is the heart of this team, its ridiculous we even have to consider trading him, id rather trade duchene then oreilly. management needs to get this guys signed my offer 7.5 for 8 years

Too much. The most I'd be willing to go is 7M and if that's what it takes, it sure as hell better be long-term

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthreading/2015/3/26/dreger-avalanche-will-do-everything-they-can-to-keep-oreilly
On how much more money Ryan O’Reilly could get on his next contract – whether on the open market or the team to which he might get traded - given what he got via the offer sheet:

“Right, well that would be a concern for the team that’s trading for Ryan O’Reilly. It’s not his ability. It’s not the impact that he can provide. It’s what is he going to cost long term.

“And you’re creeping close to unrestricted free agency for Ryan O’Reilly. He’s got another season under contract, then he’s a UFA. So if you’re making that trade, then you’re going to want to be absolutely certain that there’s a deal to be reached and an extension to be had. Otherwise, you’re not going to pay a top asset to acquire Ryan O’Reilly.

“But know this – Patrick Roy loves Ryan O’Reilly for all the reasons you saw and mentioned last night. So I think the Colorado Avalanche are going to do everything they can to keep him in the mix, but everything has a price tag. So that’s going to be multiple conversations between Joe Sakic of the Avalanche and Pat Morris, who represents Ryan O’Reilly.

“But he is such a key piece of that team. It’ll be real difficult for them to replace him, but as we know – every team has to deal with the salary cap. And in the end, if Joe Sakic and the Avalanche don’t believe that Ryan O’Reilly is worth 6.5 or $7 million per year, then chances are they€™ll have to make that conclusion this summer and at that point then they’ll find a trade.â€

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

It's like deja-vu. "Patrick Roy loves Ryan O'Reilly". "Colorado Avalanche are going to do everything they can....." Heard this stuff so many times now.

I guess one new thing is that Roy publicly said he sees O'Reilly as a center. O'Reilly has also been the #1 go-to-guy on this team for the last little while. Maybe that'll make O'Reilly more comfortable re-signing long-term.

In the end it's going to come down to the money though. It doesn't really matter what either side says publicly. Pay him what he wants and there's a very good chance he'll be here long-term.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
They should have an idea what the ballpark is at this point, isn't that common sense? Either they are comfortable with the ballpark or not or else all of this is just public delusions. I don't assume anything any more though including common sense.

FoppaForsberg*

I'm perfectly fine with signing him long term at 7M. Keep that Landy-ROR-MacK line in tact. Or keep him at center, move MacK back into the center position and trade Duchene for defense.

m0ngr31

Pay the man. Whatever it takes. Glad we already got Landy locked up long term.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
While I appreciate ROR, even before this hot streak, he is still a max $6.75m guy for me. I just can't get myself comfortable going to $7m.

I'm hoping he was given an early nod from the FO that he wasn't likely to be traded at the deadline and it helped him relax a bit. There is still the lingering feeling that his play always "picks up" when there is potential money coming around the corner. He can sign a pretty hefty extension in 3 months (only 1 month of ice time) and I'm sure that knowing he can prove his value is lingering somewhere in his mind

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
While I appreciate ROR, even before this hot streak, he is still a max $6.75m guy for me. I just can't get myself comfortable going to $7m.

I'm hoping he was given an early nod from the FO that he wasn't likely to be traded at the deadline and it helped him relax a bit. There is still the lingering feeling that his play always "picks up" when there is potential money coming around the corner. He can sign a pretty hefty extension in 3 months (only 1 month of ice time) and I'm sure that knowing he can prove his value is lingering somewhere in his mind

That $7M number is pretty hard to grasp, but I got to say, for everything I loved about O'Reilly's game during his career (and he along with Landy have probably been my favorite players of this new generation) I think he might have taken his game to a new level to end this year.

He's finally got a physical battle to his game. He's leaning into guys to finish checks on occasion, he's giving a cross check shove when a guy tries to smother him somehow. He's just battling in every sense now, and he's playing with as much confidence with the puck as he's ever played with. And at the same time, every single shift he's still mindful of his positioning in all three zones, he never cheats. He unselfishly covers as the 3rd man high, or for the pinching D man, and he's still getting all theses great scoring chances. It's really quite amazing.

He's finally playing the way Roy really wanted him to play. Do everything he was doing before, but just with a little more "physical battle." That's what it takes in the playoffs, and I think that's what Roy probably had in mind, when ROR came to him and said he wanted to learn "how to win" after last year.

I don't think he's worth $7M, but ******* he's a good player. Who cares. The Avs have set themselves up to afford an overpayment or two. Might as well do it with O'Reilly. The contracts have been spread out a bit for it not to be compared to Duchene's.

The only hang up in my mind now is what to do with Mack. I think he'd be a great RW'er but does Roy really want to do that? ROR has played so well at center, in absolutely every sense including that two way style that they'll be missing without him and may not be able to win without. I don't think you can move him back to wing at this point.

The other thing is Tanguay has complemented that line so well, what do you do with him? I don't think you can move him back with Dutchy and Iggy. That's just too many skill players. That line has actually worked better with Mitchell on it than Tanguay, as crazy as that seems.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Maybe ideally you do this next year

Landy-O'Reilly-MacK
McGinn-Duchene-Iginla
Tanguay-Mitchell-Everberg

Tanguay is a better player than McGinn but this just works better. Tangs made that line amazing earlier in the year. The Landy line doesn't need him to be amazing. McGinn is one of the few that works with Duchene, would give that line a bit of jam.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
What happens if MacKinnon is point per game next year when we paid O'Reilly for what he has been producing over 7M?

Less of an issue than you think.

Tyler Johnson produced the same as Stamkos this year. I don't think he expects to be paid the same as Stammer.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Less of an issue than you think.

Tyler Johnson produced the same as Stamkos this year. I don't think he expects to be paid the same as Stammer.

Except it likely would be an issue if TJ had gotten a big contract one year and then Stamkos was due a new deal the next year.

For all the love we have for ROR, I think we all would have to admit that MacK is likely going to be the better player of the two. (at least when it comes to what gets a guy paid)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Maybe ideally you do this next year

Landy-O'Reilly-MacK
McGinn-Duchene-Iginla
Tanguay-Mitchell-Everberg

Tanguay is a better player than McGinn but this just works better. Tangs made that line amazing earlier in the year. The Landy line doesn't need him to be amazing. McGinn is one of the few that works with Duchene, would give that line a bit of jam.

Yea, I think that's the most obvious combo in my mind too, only because Mack and Dutchy just aren't a great fit for each other. Tough to take Tangs off that ROR line though, he compliments it so well. Him and O'Reilly have just been off the charts IQ wise out there, and really developed a nice chemistry.

jrmysell

Feb 7, 2015
St. Kitts
I would love to get a return to equal (especially for the D) for him. I just don't think we'll get the return that would make it worth it. I think that re-signing him would be best, even if we do have to overpay him slightly. Our forwards (the core at least) is still very young, so lets be patient and let our D prospects develop and come up and take over in a few years.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Sakic said earlier that he wanted to sign him by a certain date and if he couldn't he would trade him. What date was that? I thought it was the draft.I could be remembering the whole thing wrong though.

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
give him 6.8 mil max.

Kopitar has 2 cups and isn't signed at 7. Neither should O'Money bags.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: