Salary Cap: What to do with Matt Murray (poll)

What should Jim Rutherford plan to do with Matt Murray?

• Total voters

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Any team that signs a goalie for longer than 3-4 years, should have their analysis staff evaluated. The difference between a 3mil/year goaltender and a 6+mil is negligible. The top 10 in SV% is certainly not near the top 10 in salary like it is for forwards. There is zero need to award Murray with a long term, high $ contract

Luongo
Bobrovsky
Bryzgalov
DiPietro

If only there was some sort of precedence as to not award goalies long term deals...

I'm starting to feel as if Murray's injuries have significantly affected his play, but am willing to let him play through some of these struggles as a backup. I always liked the 50/50 split with goaltenders anyway. Don't be surprised when Jarry falls back to earth a little too. Goalies have little trade value too.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Do absolutely nothing for now. Take advantage of the fact that we have two potential stud goaltenders for one of the first times in franchise history.

Reassess in the off-season.

Amen. This “problem” has caused so many people to freak out. I don’t get it.

Reactions: Peat

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Part of it is because people have built up this near mythic idea of Pens’ goaltending and the need for an absolutely perfect goalie in the post season.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
No way I'd trade MM this season unless there was some astronomical return. Jarry could easily suffer an injury or become ineffective

Signed,
A HUGE Jarry fan

Reactions: TooManyHumans

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Definitely we should reevaluate after the season. Thing is if Murray actually gets some starts he'll probably get hurt anyway and then we have Jarry/DeSmith. The *ONLY* way I'd even entertain an in-season trade is for something along the lines of T. Hall. I mean you jettison Chucky and replace with Hall that could be ridiculous for us...

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
2 year bridge at $4MM per. See what happens after that. Jarry could get a raise to $1.5MM and you'd still only be paying your goalies $5.5MM combined. Murray has 2 years to prove he's worth a long term deal or Jarry just flat out outplays him and you can trade Murray away.

Last edited:

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
"Keep him through this year, try to get a team-friendly short-term deal otherwise trade him"

This - but still listen to what's out there. This comes to an end one way or another in the next year and a half (something people forget). Either we trade one of them in the next 18 months, or we lose them to the Seattle Expansion draft. If someone like San Jose wants to trade you their 1st + Kane or some package that includes Murray and Simon (Johnson, Bjugs, whatever) or the Leafs start talking Nylander.... I fail to realize how Jarry/Murray for 1.5 years outweighs the benefits of some top-6 Forward in the group.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
a niggling worry to be sure, but: https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id...ek-tim-thomas-saga-reminds-us-empathy-matters

i sometimes wonder if the concussions Murray has had has had effect on his level of play. because the #1 thing I see different about him is that he is processing the game at a slower rate then he used to. Though for a goalie that can easily happen if they are just doubting themselves and thinking too much doesn't have to be brain damage..

Reactions: Andy99

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
2 year bridge at $4MM per. See what happens after that. Jarry could get a raise to $1.5MM and you'd still only be paying your goalies $5.5MM combined. Murray has 2 years to prove he's worth a long term deal or Jarry just flat out outplays him and you can trade Murray away.

Sure if he took that deal, great. MM and his agent won't be looking at it, he will point to previous accolades and expect more security and money. I'm sure he also doesn't want to be a tandem or backup (wouldn't blame him either).

If things play out as Jarry taking the reigns you absolutely see what contract talks look like but certainly dangle him to see what's offered.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
No way I'd trade MM this season unless there was some astronomical return. Jarry could easily suffer an injury or become ineffective

Signed,
A HUGE Jarry fan

You'd think everyone would remember the Cup in 17 and be on board with this.

If Jarry keeps this play up I just dont see how you justify giving Murray some 7-8 year deal at 7-8 million a year. Just makes zero sense to me
I don't see how you justify that deal for Murray even if Jarry doesn't keep this play up. It's just way too long and way too much money for any goalie.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Sure if he took that deal, great. MM and his agent won't be looking at it, he will point to previous accolades and expect more security and money. I'm sure he also doesn't want to be a tandem or backup (wouldn't blame him either).

If things play out as Jarry taking the reigns you absolutely see what contract talks look like but certainly dangle him to see what's offered.
Murray being RFA, but having arbitration rights, doesn't really get much choice here. Yeah he has the 2 Cups to use as his case, but the Pens also have the inconsistent play, being hurt, and not playing well in the playoffs the last couple of years.
He could hold out but in the end, it's not like the Pens don't have options in net. That works against his case also. The Pens wouldn't need to panic and sign him if Jarry/DeSmith were capable of holding down the crease while he holds out.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
You just have to wait and see how everything plays out this year.

But if Jarry ends up being the teams number 1 goalie this year I don't think Murray would even want to come back to the Pens next year if he's going to be the backup.

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
a niggling worry to be sure, but: https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id...ek-tim-thomas-saga-reminds-us-empathy-matters

i sometimes wonder if the concussions Murray has had has had effect on his level of play. because the #1 thing I see different about him is that he is processing the game at a slower rate then he used to. Though for a goalie that can easily happen if they are just doubting themselves and thinking too much doesn't have to be brain damage..
Thanks for posting that. I've never liked Thomas because A: he was a Bruin and B: I disagreed with his politics. I had no idea he suffers from post concussion trauma, CTE or whatever. That story is a worthy reminder these guys are human beings, as fragile as any of us may be, and one may be unsuited to judge another without walking a mile in his shoes, so to speak.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
You just have to wait and see how everything plays out this year.

But if Jarry ends up being the teams number 1 goalie this year I don't think Murray would even want to come back to the Pens next year if he's going to be the backup.

he wouldn’t be the de facto backup he’d just be in competition for getting his starting job back...he beat MAF for that job so I’ve never thought a little competition bothered him...he seems to thrive on it...but nonetheless he wouldn’t have a choice as a RFA...he can sign the Pens offer, ask for arbitration on a 1 or 2 year deal or sit out the season...his options are limited for another year...he can kill his career by sitting out, which I doubt he would do...he’d do what most RFAs do...take the best offer for one year and then be free as a UFA to get a better deal

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Penguins need to hire a freaky brilliant nutritionist to build up both Murray and POJ. It would be like "two for one"... Their current nutritionist is just too damn healthy, a trend that started with Orpik's fanatical diet. Maybe a yoga instructor to help him maintain flexibility once he bulks up? :) I just don't think it is realistic to expect a 175lb 6 foot 4 G to survive the rigors of an NHL season. Not with players as big and fast as our league sports.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
My vote is "Take him out for a nice dinner to make him feel appreciated for his contributions and have good talk."

Why is my voice being silenced?

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Penguins need to hire a freaky brilliant nutritionist to build up both Murray and POJ. It would be like "two for one"... Their current nutritionist is just too damn healthy, a trend that started with Orpik's fanatical diet. Maybe a yoga instructor to help him maintain flexibility once he bulks up? :) I just don't think it is realistic to expect a 175lb 6 foot 4 G to survive the rigors of an NHL season. Not with players as big and fast as our league sports.

Both Murray and POJ gained weight this summer. Also, Murray has gone nearly a full calendar year without an injury.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY

You really hope that’s not the case. Only takes one concussion for permanent damage. Murray has had (I believe) 2 diagnosed, maybe 3. I make it a point to not bring up MAF, but hasn’t he had 4-5 diagnosed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad