Salary Cap: What to do with Matt Murray (poll)

What should Jim Rutherford plan to do with Matt Murray?

• Total voters

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I’d try and bridge him. Then I’d sign Jarry for the same term. Let them battle it out for number 1 spot over the next 2-3 years. If he isn’t willing to do that trade him, in the off season. Or another option would be take him to arbitration and make him try and play it out one more year to figure out his game. But I think a long term extension on him is the wrong move right now.
The expansion draft looms.

A choice will need to be made again.

So yeah, this bridge happiness, nah.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Well he made a few saves before the disallowed goal that were also negated. But if Vancouver sent 10 wristers in from outside the blue line, would he have somehow had a better game in your eyes? Don’t see how goals-to-shots ratio matters in a single game sample size.

I guess I’d have liked to see him stop the Pettersson goal but that’s mostly on (our) Pettersson for not tying up his man better and only slightly on Murray for not getting out more. You need your starter to make a big save and he didn’t, and hasn’t been, and obviously Jarry has been.

But that the goals/shots thing keeps getting brought up tells me people either didn’t watch the game or they have an agenda to push because none of the goals were soft and the team didn’t play well regardless of the shot ratio.
What are you even talking about? Everybody is harping on about how Murray had the best SV% for a 3 month span, and how SV% is the determining factor in assessing a goalie, here you are saying that goals/shots ratio doesn't matter in a single game. Goals to shots is literally SV%. Doesn't matter what the quality of shot is, a goalie needs to make a save. When your goalie has a .714SV%, you don't need an agenda to see that he sucks.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
My issue is that I'm 99% confident that I won't like Murray's next contract.

Probably because long-term goalie contracts haven't worked out for teams since the 90s. Nature of the game/position nowadays. Still think they're the running-back position of the NHL. Ride 'em hard, then cut them loose.

I will say that if the Pens were built around a Guy Boucher system of 2-1 hockey, the goalie position here might need more attention. However, this team is the polar opposite and just needs a guy to be .910 or better on most nights (when healthy). What Jarry has done recently has literally saved the season (so far) but is unusually necessary due to the injury plague. I don't think anyone looks forward to a 5-6 year MM deal quite frankly. Idk - I've just slipped from a huge supporter to a big doubter over the course of a year. Guy never wins us games - so at 4M it's whatever...but more than that? For what? Maybe they have faith he can return to the late 2017 playoffs form and that it'll be something we really need. Idk...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->