Salary Cap: What to do with Matt Murray (poll)

What should Jim Rutherford plan to do with Matt Murray?

• Total voters

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
This is admittedly a little redundant to the "broken" thread, but what we should do with Murray is a separate and reasonable discussion to have. There's some hypotheticals in here - for example "trade him now" probably depends largely on what you could get for him.

I'm not adding a "gotta wait until the end of the season" option. That's probably the correct one but makes for uninteresting discussion. The question is what would would you lean right now.

If a mod wants to add this poll to the "broken" thread, feel free.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Do absolutely nothing for now. Take advantage of the fact that we have two potential stud goaltenders for one of the first times in franchise history.

Reassess in the off-season.

Fair point, our Cup 3 years ago was off of a stud goalie platoon that stole 2 series (Washington and Nashville).

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Prefer a long term, team friendly deal.

It'll be more attractive to trade partners, for instance. Or allow pens to platoon/bury him as back up if needed.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Do absolutely nothing for now. Take advantage of the fact that we have two potential stud goaltenders for one of the first times in franchise history.

This. But if Jarry wins the job obviously you can’t give Murray a big extension, those dollars can be used elsewhere.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
yeah, no need to do anything with him atm...reassess before the draft...given the last three years of inconsistency, I would not want to sign him longer than 3 years to a reasonable deal for the team...they control him for another year at least as a RFA and the team could even take advantage of that and kick the decision to another year....I’m not worried about Seattle...even if he’s not available to Seattle because of UFA status, the Pens can expose De Smith...that’s the worse case...if Jarry does well, including POs, then look to trade Murray...there are a few teams in need of starting goaltending and we could possibly get a first for him...

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

This is the right answer. I wish it was one of the poll answers so I could of voted. As always polls are tainted without good choices.

Rutherford will assuredly do this. When you look back at the 2016 Cup season Murray had 13 starts with top tier numbers. Murray then had top tier numbers in his 21 starts in the playoffs and won the Cup. Rutherford did not trade Fleury not only during that summer but at the deadline when all experts expected him to.

So if Rutherford wanted to make sure Murray was for real even after much bigger sample size then what makes anyone think Rutherford would trade Murray at this time? Rutherford was already rewarded with a second Cup with keeping his goalie depth. I can't see anything that would make Rutherford trade Murray or Jarry at this point.

I love how Jarry is playing but I am also cautious that it is a very small sample size of only 11 starts. Before this season more than half these boards complained that Jarry should not of been the backup and what was Rutherford doing. Before this 11 game stretch Jarry had been beaten out by DeSmith for the past 4 years both in the AHL and NHL.

I truly hope that Jarry is the real deal and he finally put it all together and can prove he is a top 10 type goalie in this league. I just am not ready to make a decision that would have major consequences for the Penguins future and I know Rutherford won't either.

This post by Jag68 should be part of this poll.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
This is the right answer. I wish it was one of the poll answers so I could of voted. As always polls are tainted without good choices.

Rutherford will assuredly do this. When you look back at the 2016 Cup season Murray had 13 starts with top tier numbers. Murray then had top tier numbers in his 21 starts in the playoffs and won the Cup. Rutherford did not trade Fleury not only during that summer but at the deadline when all experts expected him to.

So if Rutherford wanted to make sure Murray was for real even after much bigger sample size then what makes anyone think Rutherford would trade Murray at this time? Rutherford was already rewarded with a second Cup with keeping his goalie depth. I can't see anything that would make Rutherford trade Murray or Jarry at this point.

I love how Jarry is playing but I am also cautious that it is a very small sample size of only 11 starts. Before this season more than half these boards complained that Jarry should not of been the backup and what was Rutherford doing. Before this 11 game stretch Jarry had been beaten out by DeSmith for the past 4 years both in the AHL and NHL.

I truly hope that Jarry is the real deal and he finally put it all together and can prove he is a top 10 type goalie in this league. I just am not ready to make a decision that would have major consequences for the Penguins future and I know Rutherford won't either.

This post by Jag68 should be part of this poll.

CM, read the poll: I'm not adding a "gotta wait until the end of the season" option. That's probably the correct one but makes for uninteresting discussion. The question is what would would you lean right now.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Gotta ask again around the deadline or as the season winds down. If I had to choose right now, explore a trade and if you can find a stud LW or stud LD, go for it.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'd say ship him to the glue factory, but he is too inconsistent to make stable glue.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Where's the option for "It's December and he could easily be the undisputed starter again by the end of the season, so wait and see what happens."

It was written in the post that option is off the table because it's boring even if it's right.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Give him some time but its gonna be damn difficult for him to retake his job. We do not know his contract expectations nor do we know his trade value. I would be doing researches of those and decide accordingly. I wouldnt give MM more than 4.5M and if he wants more then trade him while he still has good value.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Keep him, extend him long term and reevaluate which goalie should be the #1 when the expansion draft comes
You know his contract expectations if you say so ?? Also.. he had really good 4 months last year. But other than that he is really underwhelming so to me it looks more like an anomaly than his normal play and he is bad more often than not lately.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
You know his contract expectations if you say so ?? Also.. he had really good 4 months last year. But other than that he is really underwhelming so to me it looks more like an anomaly than his normal play and he is bad more often than not lately.
He's at risk of being the only 2-time stanley cup winning goalie stuck in the ahl if he keeps up his inconsistency.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
He's at risk of being the only 2-time stanley cup winning goalie stuck in the ahl if he keeps up his inconsistency.

I knew he's been a bit on the disappointing side but didn't realize how disappointing. Of 58 goalies that have played at least 50 games from the start of the 2017-18 season until now, Murray ranks...
  • T-11th in wins (66)
  • T-17th in shutouts (6)
  • T-30th in SV% (.911)
  • 34th in GAA (2.81)

Reactions: Andy99

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
CM, read the poll: I'm not adding a "gotta wait until the end of the season" option. That's probably the correct one but makes for uninteresting discussion. The question is what would would you lean right now.

That answer might be boring and uninteresting but the only logical answer. If I had to pick one of these choices then I would have to pick signing Murray long term. No other choice if I had the choice now.

I love what Jarry has done so far in his first 11 starts. I was even in the minority of posters that wanted to keep Jarry when most wanted to trade him during the preseason. But if I was forced to make a decision now then it isn't even close decision and it wouldn't be for Rutherford either. If decision had to be made today signing Murray long term would have to be done. I liked the option of signing Murray to a bridge deal but not the part of trading him if not.

Ask me at the end of the season and this will be much easier. But maybe not. For example if Jarry kept the starters job all season and playoffs then I still keep both because Murray would be signed for an awesome contract. As an RFA that was playing the whole year as a back up then no way he gets rewarded by an arbitrator anything more than he makes now. So I would keep both good goalies.

The only way in that scenario I would trade Murray is if it was way overpay. I much rather have the great goaltending depth like we had with Murray and Fleury for two years. So until is is too expensive for both I keep them until the expansion draft. Maybe trade one at the trade deadline before the expansion draft although wouldnt mind doing the Fleury thing and letting them pick out extra goalie minus giving the 2nd round pick.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I personally like the idea of trading him instead of re-signing him, and that is even if his play picks up again. Doesn't matter if it's during the season or in the summer IMO. My reasoning is rather simple.

1. He'd be rather valuable

2. The total value of the contract he is asking for will probably be high, and I'd consider signing him to such a contract would be a significantly larger gamble than relying on Jarry and DeSmith.

If Jarry keeps it up give him a long-term contract instead.

Doubt it happens though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad