Player Discussion: What to do with Lemieux?

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Send him to the Moose and call up Appleton. This is the lineup I was posting before the season and it's still what I want to see.

Ehlers - Scheifele - Laine
Connor - Little - Wheeler
Perreault - Roslovic - Appleton
Copp - Lowry - Tanev

Petan is a much better option and is already with the team.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Lemieux was suspended more than once in Jr. He was suspended in the AHL too IIRC. He has had lesser punishments as well. He has gotten away with things he maybe should have been punished for. I'm sure every coach he has had has tried talking to him. It is already way beyond 2nd chance territory. Do you mean that everybody always deserves another chance? Always one more? Is there no limit?

Yeah, I hate it too sometimes, but it's a true fact that everybody deserves a second chance. Everybody has had a second chance in life, I've had them too. As I am aware of his junior suspensions, the only sad thing is that it doesn't apply to the NHL, but for all I know it could in the long run. I said though at the very least it should be a five-game suspension to at most a thirty-game suspension. Should be between there anyway.

But I mean, Raffi Torres was buried in the minors for a while after his controversies. But the way for me would be to send him to the ECHL for a while until there have been improvements on his game in terms of discipline. Let him slowly earn his way back up again.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
There are sure a lot of judges, jurists and executioners participating in this thread. The guy has his challenges for sure but wanting his career to be done is ridiculous. Hopefully Jets management are smarter than their fans.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Stupid is hard to fix but not impossible - and the Jets were obviously working on it or they wouldn't have brought him up.

As stated by most if not all, he's gone if he can't remove the garbage from his game - if the "stupid" gets fixed, he has value as a 4th line guy with grit, drive, and attitude.

This wasn't the first time for Lemieux. It wasn't the 2nd either, or the 3rd. Why are people still saying 'if' the stupid gets fixed? The Jets have had 4 years to fix it. His prior teams had years more.

I just don't understand people still being in doubt. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 16 times ....... oh what the hell, lets give it another shot. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Jack722

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, I hate it too sometimes, but it's a true fact that everybody deserves a second chance. Everybody has had a second chance in life, I've had them too. As I am aware of his junior suspensions, the only sad thing is that it doesn't apply to the NHL, but for all I know it could in the long run. I said though at the very least it should be a five-game suspension to at most a thirty-game suspension. Should be between there anyway.

But I mean, Raffi Torres was buried in the minors for a while after his controversies. But the way for me would be to send him to the ECHL for a while until there have been improvements on his game in terms of discipline. Let him slowly earn his way back up again.

I'm expecting a 1 game suspension. He is a first offender as far as the NHL is concerned. The Jets, OTOH are fully aware of his history.

The term '2nd chance' just does not apply here. I could see giving him 'another' chance, but it would be that long, slow way back. I don't know if I would send him to the ECHL or not at this point. I'd send him down and he would not be near the top of the list for a call-up. He would never be called up again until after he shows that he has cleaned up his act. In the meantime I would include him in every trade proposal.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
The best way for Lemieux to help us win games, is if he is on the opposing team. I'd love to see him traded, but I don't think he is worth anything on the trade market. Move him to the Moose - he has had decent production in the AHL. If he learns anything, it will show on the farm. Don't bring him up again unless he can play today's NHL game.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The easy answer is send him to the moose after his suspension. Why is this thread 6 pages long?

Well there is that pesky week off here and we need some time filler. At least this topic isn't as beaten to death as the usual board obsession of player optimization and fake micromanaging of the starting line up. We are well over 1000 pages on that topic and adding by the day.

Reactions: Duke749

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
This wasn't the first time for Lemieux. It wasn't the 2nd either, or the 3rd. Why are people still saying 'if' the stupid gets fixed? The Jets have had 4 years to fix it. His prior teams had years more.

I just don't understand people still being in doubt. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 16 times ....... oh what the hell, lets give it another shot. :sarcasm:

Mort - you don't have to understand it.
Sometimes people disagree.

The Jets organization gave him a shot after 4 years of knowing better and, according to your numbers, at least 3 similar cases of dumbness.
Taking this into consideration, do you still wonder why some may not have the same opinion as you?
Why are people still saying this? Because they have an opinion - and we're all entitled to one. Why don't you understand?

I like your posts and appreciate your opinion but this is coming off as a wee bit sanctimonious - I wasn't even replying to you in my comment.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
So what's it going to cost him? ~$10,000 and 12 minutes of actual ice time.

Next time he will get 10 games.

Last edited:

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Well here’s Petan’s chance to attempt to prove his admirers right once again.

As for Lemieux I’m not going to on try to divine the Jets’ thoughts as an organization. For my part as a mere plebe in the stands who only gets into Winnipeg a couple times a year to watch them, I really liked what I saw from Lemieux last season. Played with a ton of energy and effort with more bite than anyone else. So I can guess from that small sample size what people might see in him.

As for the hit, 2 games is richly deserved and I would have been fine with more. I don’t know whether he gets sent to the Moose after or what. Will depend on part on what Petan does.

Reactions: Jet

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
It is worth remembering that Lemieux showed he is a playoff performer much like his dad. I am sure the organization likes that. He had the best points per game of any player still with the organization and wasn't even in the top 10 league wide for penalty minutes per game. Spacek and Cormier were however.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Mort - you don't have to understand it.
Sometimes people disagree.

The Jets organization gave him a shot after 4 years of knowing better and, according to your numbers, at least 3 similar cases of dumbness.
Taking this into consideration, do you still wonder why some may not have the same opinion as you?
Why are people still saying this? Because they have an opinion - and we're all entitled to one. Why don't you understand?

I like your posts and appreciate your opinion but this is coming off as a wee bit sanctimonious - I wasn't even replying to you in my comment.

Fair enough. Of course you and everyone else is entitled to their opinions. And I'm entitled to question those opinions. I'm not judging your opinion, or the others that disagree with mine. I'm saying I don't understand them in this case. Sometimes I understand opposing opinions, but still disagree. This isn't one of those. But that doesn't mean I don't respect your right to your opinion.

I would like to see some explanation that I could understand. Everyone deserving another chance doesn't do it for me in this case. I'm usually the first one to say that but Lemieux has had so many chances already. I don't like deliberately dirty players. Lemieux is one of those and he has been unable, or unwilling to change that.

That said, I would still give him that ooonnee more chance. But it wouldn't be a freebee. He would have to earn it. No more benefit of the doubt. Go somewhere else, AHL, ECHL, another organization, clean up your act. Demonstrate that you have done that. Then maybe you get another shot. I'm not saying he has to be fired into the Sun here.

Reactions: LowLefty

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't recall that and can find no evidence of him ever being suspended in the AHL.

I wasn't sure. Maybe he got off with a slap on the wrist, or maybe I'm conflating some of his troubles into an issue in the A. The point is that he has a long history of dirty play, penalties and disciplinary action.

The concern with him has long been that he would take more penalties than he would be worth. That his behaviour would cost games. He has played in 18 NHL games and collected 48 PIMs. And now he has cost us a game (probably).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad