Player Discussion: What to do with Lemieux?

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
He's looking like a solid bottom 6 fwd with grit who drives the net, doesn't take **** from anyone, drops the mitts when needed and is providing some secondary scoring. Not sure how that's hurting the Jet's right now.

The Jets perform worse when
He’s on the ice. Every single shift.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Taking corsi from his first 20 or so NHL games is all the information some need to form very defined and negative opinions on him.
Small sample corsi can be your friend too...in the last 20 games, Lemieux is 5th on the team in CF% and 3rd on the team in HDCF%. He's trending up.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
This is one of those situations where I am getting less concerned with our 4th line and Brendon is exceeding my expectations. I got Tanev wrong and maybe I will be wrong on Lemieux too? I am not all the way there yet but my mind is being opened to the possibility.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Before last season HF corsi was already pre-labelling Chevy a dummy for presumably wanting to protect Lowry over Perreault in the expansion draft. Cause Lowry was a grinder and didnt have great corsi yet.

I haven't seen one person voluntarily own up to that take yet. Lesson should have been to let the Jets develop these guys once they are here. Just because they are older than 21 doesnt mean they are a finished product. Some guys have more room for growth than others and some guys get it at a different age...

Get used to Lemieux where he is because Maurice seems intent on developing him into that 4th line agitator role.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
It was kinda embarrassing watching Sean Reynolds interview Claude on Saturday. He implied that Claude was a goon when he played and didn't know that Brendon had 2 2-goal games.

Reactions: Naturaledge
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Small sample corsi can be your friend too...in the last 20 games, Lemieux is 5th on the team in CF% and 3rd on the team in HDCF%. He's trending up.

Lemieux goals are all so recent that they should be fresh in everyones minds.

A power drive to the net, a wrap around, a puck off an opponents knee, a high tip from Morrow, a relentless bang away on a rebound until the puck barely crossed the goal line. Basically a lot of goals from dirty areas.

The Jets can use some dirty goals, but it's hard to talk about the sustainability of his current shooting percentage when no shots from a traditional perspective have even occurred.

A goal is a goal and I'm glad they are going in. Perhaps these results can even continue if he continues this hard edge play. I could see him being a 15-20 goal scorer if he follows this path, but let's not pretend he's suddenly developed an accurate shot. He's simply been willing the puck into the net with blood & guts.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Lemieux goals are all so recent that they should be fresh in everyones minds.

A power drive to the net, a wrap around, a puck off an opponents knee, a high tip from Morrow, a relentless bang away on a rebound until the puck barely crossed the goal line. Basically a lot of goals from dirty areas.

The Jets can use some dirty goals, but it's hard to talk about the sustainability of his current shooting percentage when no shots from a traditional perspective have even occurred.

A goal is a goal and I'm glad they are going in. Perhaps these results can even continue if he continues this hard edge play. I could see him being a 15-20 goal scorer if he follows this path, but let's not pretend he's suddenly developed an accurate shot. He's simply been willing the puck into the net with blood & guts.
As the saying goes,

"They don't count how, just how many".

Hope it continues.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You don’t like effective hockey players? Huh. Odd... :huh:
I think you missed the context. He was saying people DON'T like Lemieux because he does not fit the new age narrative (a la Petan).

I think he actually likes Lemieux (as do I)

Reactions: Saintb

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I think you missed the context. He was saying people DON'T like Lemieux because he does not fit the new age narrative (a la Petan).

I think he actually likes Lemieux (as do I)

I know what he was saying. But there is no “new age narrative”. Just people that like to bury their heads in the sand. I think he’s the one who’s been missing the point judging from his post.

P.S. You liked Lemieux whether he was effective or not. The goal is to win. If he’s not effective he’s not helping. If he’s effective, he’s helping. It’s literally THAT simple.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

You could put it that way -
I'd rephrase it a little -
He's working hard, going to the net, and scoring as a result.
That's a part of hockey that the Jets haven't seen in a while -
Welcome back!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommigun

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Welcome back!

It’s exactly what the Jets need, some greasy players who are hard to play against, drives the net and are a great netfront presence. Put him in front of the net on the power play if he keeps his good play up and the PP starts slumping.

Reactions: LowLefty

folix

Jul 24, 2011
Our PP sucks because its super static and we have zero adjustments. The teams now sit in the passing lanes and dare Wheeler to shoot. What really blows my mind is why the Jets coaching staff that switching Laine and Shief would fix that....same passing lanes!

That being said I have really really liked Lemieux's game over the last 5-6. He is attacking now, playing more like he did in the AHL.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Our PP sucks because its super static and we have zero adjustments. The teams now sit in the passing lanes and dare Wheeler to shoot. What really blows my mind is why the Jets coaching staff that switching Laine and Shief would fix that....same passing lanes!

That being said I have really really liked Lemieux's game over the last 5-6. He is attacking now, playing more like he did in the AHL.
Buff changes passing lanes more than any other player and he is due back shortly after the all star break. While winning games it doesn't really make sense to revamp a league top PP with the QB on the shelf.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Welcome back!

While Lemieux has been scoring, he's still been a defensive disaster, only outshooting the opposition once in that albatross game against Nashville.

1) Dallas (2-4) CF%=47.06 (8-9)
2) Nashville (5-1) CF%=78.57 (11-3)
3) Vegas (4-1) CF%=25.00 (2-6)
4) Anaheim (4-3) CF%=38.46 (5-8)
5) Detroit (4-2) CF%=10.00 (1-9)

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
While Lemieux has been scoring, he's still been a defensive disaster, only outshooting the opposition once in that albatross game against Nashville.

I'll take out scoring over out shooting any day

Reactions: bek816

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

When did outshooting become better then out scoring. Besides it's not like there is a better choice in the pb to replace him.

Reactions: bek816
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
When did outshooting become better then out scoring. Besides it's not like there is a better choice in the pb to replace him.

I'll take out scoring over out shooting any day

So will I. Sadly his body of NHL work thus far indicates that isn't the case. I'll be pleased to be wrong.

One thing I'll add is that none of us really know Lemieux or Petan's AHL stats beyond simple goals and assists. I'll concede the organization knows more than the rest of us as to which is the better fit on the current roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad