What to do with Barrie?

What to do with Barrie?

• Total voters

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I say trade him even if we are comfortably in a playoff spot. We gave up a significant piece in Kadri to acquire him, and to be left with Kerfoot as the only return beyond this season would be disappointing, with all due respect to Kerfoot (he's performed as well as can be expected).

Barrie started putting up numbers since Keefe took over, but he is a liability defensively. His type of game will not translate well in the playoffs, and will likely be more of a detriment.

Furthermore, we have more than enough skill on the back end to compensate if he is moved.

Mar 26, 2010
Get rid of the bum.
Fully agree, you absolutely have to trade Barrie. I will laugh at the team that gets suckered into paying this guy $8M AAV. He is not worth half of that.

Dubas needs to trade him right now! Try to find a team that will be stupid enough to give up their first round pick for him.

This team is certainly not going to win a Stanley Cup, they are more likely to miss the playoffs. No sense in keeping him around.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I would be astonished if we did anything other than own rental. I don't think we have the money to sign him and I don't think that we'll miss him. I'm not particularly a fan and would be very happy to move him in a hockey deal right now, but there's pretty much zero way we trade him for futures unless we bomb hard and are out of it by the deadline.

The Rielly injury complicates things because we do need to have a PP QB and it's good to have strong offensive defensemen, but I think we would be okay giving Muzzin and Sandin the offensive minutes instead. It's a downgrade, but it would be worthwhile if we got a stronger defensive player IMO.

I agree not to trade him for futures. If we can acquire a responsible RHD in return that isn't as flashy I think we would be better off.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don’t think anyone is harsher on him than me but we keep him unless he goes in a trade for a dman thats better defensively. He’s been really good lately. As long as he plays intelligent defense i love the guy.

Keep him and hope he plays his best hockey isn’t a bad idea. Like i said, i ripped him hard when he was playing sketchy defensively. He’s been absolutely solid lately offensively and most importantly Defensively.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I want to see him in the playoffs so it is what it us at this point. There is no way the team signs him though. He's going to be a UFA for sure and I'd be shocked if the Leafs are seriously interested in signing him, especially knowing they're having talks with Muzzin. There's practically no space for even one of these two.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
If we could do a three way trade with Minny and a team interested in Barrie, I would move him assuming we get Dumba back.

For example:

To Leafs: Dumba
To Minny: 1st + Dermott + prospect from 3rd team
To 3rd team: Barrie
Is that first from us? Because if so that seems quite terrible. We don't have this year's, didn't pick in the first last year and give up Dermott for a struggling 25 year old Dumba.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I don't know why this is so hard.

The guy is a horrible fit for this team, is a UFA and is walking as he won't be worth the contract he signs, and we aren't winning the Stanley Cup this year.

You trade him for a 1st round pick that you include in a trade for a long-term solution at RHD like a Josh Manson, and you don't even think twice about it.

I don't think twice about this. Barrie's best value to us is a trade chip, for a return that we turn around and use in another trade for someone who actually will be of long-term value to us.
Josh Manson is not the player everyone here seems to think he is. You want Sandpaper, fine but you need to make sure they can actually move the puck and handle hard minutes.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He's been good since Keefe took over

Also with Muzzin back and the Muzzin Holl pairing taking tough matchups again it's going to be easier to put Barrie into a position to succeed in the offensive zone and in transition

He's not perfect but he does bring something special when he's on
Love him for What he is, not what he isn't

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Own rental. A first rounder on its own does not help the current team. At the same time, I don't know that there's enough of an offensive upside, or even an all around game, to make a long term, 8M investment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
he's been great under Keefe. If the Leafs are serious about winning, they should keep him this year. That said, I don't really trust him enough to give him a big contract
Yes he looks a lot better under Keefe no doubt. Another tough decision to get a good longer term asset for Kadri or use him for playoff run and playoffs. He was great for Avs last year in round #1 of playoffs. This trade was a gamble that may still pay off. If we got to round 2 or beyond it becomes a good deal for me. If we lose in round 1 then clearly the deal becomes a bad one. Kerfoot for Kadri has a bad stench to it.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
In the end who you rather have Muzzin or Barrie signed. Probably can't have both unless Muzzin + Barrie accept reasonable contracts. If possible I would try to trade him in package deal for defenseman with at least 2 years on contract who at least fit on 1st or 2nd line. Left is pretty clogged at moment with Sanding playing well.

Last edited:

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I say trade him even if we are comfortably in a playoff spot. We gave up a significant piece in Kadri to acquire him, and to be left with Kerfoot as the only return beyond this season would be disappointing, with all due respect to Kerfoot (he's performed as well as can be expected).

Barrie started putting up numbers since Keefe took over, but he is a liability defensively. His type of game will not translate well in the playoffs, and will likely be more of a detriment.

Furthermore, we have more than enough skill on the back end to compensate if he is moved.

I could not agree with u more. Its a must to trade Barrie before the deadline. Then use the Barrie return to land a defenseman. Dubas needs to pull off a 3 way trade or 2 trades separately. This team is better with a right handed Muzzin type vs Barrie. Leafs do not need another undersized, under willed, soft offensive defenseman. Barrie's second and third attempts to win battles along the wall, noticeably drop off in effort as the battle goes on. Also, Dubas after 1 year can not be left with Kerfoot with regards to the Kadri trade. Dubas can be shrewd and improve this team by moving Tyson Barrie getting another Dman with different qualities. Imo, Dallas Stars would love to have Barrie.

* Barries return would be 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, prospect drafted in the top 2-3 rounds with NHL upside. U cant pass on that. Use the Muzzin cost of 1st and (2) second round prospects and add to it when gauging Tyson Barrie's return. Barrie isn't Bobby Orr, how can 30 more games outweigh the return of Barrie and the use of those assets to get another d-man.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
If the goal is to make the playoffs and advance, Barrie isn’t going anywhere because (like him or not), we don’t have any other viable options for the above at the moment.

So unless we acquire someone, I don’t see anyone moving. Next year I wouldn’t plan on paying Barrie or Ceci whatever money they want, so goodbye. We will retool the D in the summer. Re-sign Muzzin and look at the following UFA D:

Pietrangelo
Krug
Vatanen
Tanev
Etc.

^^^ Agree. Before Reilly's injury, I was in favour of moving him. But given current circumstances, that would be pretty tough to do.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

Barrie has been excellent in the playoffs. He destroyed Calgary last year and is .67 PPG in the playoffs.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I feel like Barrie was a necessity under Babcock's 'system'. Whatever the hell he was making them do required a puck mover that can hit the forwards sticks.

Keefe favors our star forwards owning possession of the puck so the whole "transition from the d" topic is over rated now (unless marincin is on).

After watching Muzzin make such a huge impact by just being a solid presence on the back end, better to find a team in need of a puck mover and has a stay at home to swap in return.

They help us, we help them.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Yes he looks a lot better under Keefe no doubt. Another tough decision to get a good longer term asset for Kadri or use him for playoff run and playoffs. He was great for Avs last year in round #1 of playoffs. This trade was a gamble that may still pay off. If we got to round 2 or beyond it becomes a good deal for me. If we lose in round 1 then clearly the deal becomes a bad one. Kerfoot for Kadri has a bad stench to it.
Kerfoot and a 6th / Kadri and a 3rd actually. I guess they really liked Kerfoot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad