Speculation: What should the Habs do this offseason?

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
But is he worst that whatever the heck we already have? Put him with Weber, and there you go. Problem solved!
I don't think you understand how bad he is. Not even that good offensively either. He's just on an offensive juggernaut so his stats are inflated.

If he were really that good, do you think they would let him walk instead of making room via trade?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Tough one. He'll want big money for sure and I would rather see our prospects get an opportunity given our current status. Don't like overpaying third liners.

If he wants a lot, I'd like MB to leverage an Armia type deal instead. Take on a bad contract and get a piece for the future.

I like using cap space for pieces. But I'd rather a 2nd than another Armia.

And I still like the idea of signing UFA's that are at worst lateral moves, or more likely slight upgrades, and trading the players the players that are being upgraded for 1sts or 2nds. The problem is the salaries UFA's get. But we need size, so to me Hayes over Byron is a significant upgrade.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

And I still like the idea of signing UFA's that are at worst lateral moves, or more likely slight upgrades, and trading the players the players that are being upgraded for 1sts or 2nds. The problem is the salaries UFA's get. But we need size, so to me Hayes over Byron is a significant upgrade.
I'd much rather Ferland to be honest. Hayes is big but I don't find him very physical. Ferland on the other hand...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'd much rather Ferland to be honest. Hayes is big but I don't find him very physical. Ferland on the other hand...

We don't have enough size and physicality up front.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
We don't have enough size and physicality up front.

giphy.gif

Nice. :laugh:

Who do we move though? Neither are considerably better than what we currently have. Maybe Lehkonen?

Drouin-Domi-Gallagher
Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Shaw
Lehkonen-Danault-Armia
Byron-Poehling-XXXX

I'm all for top UFAs, but these filler guys don't really have a spot.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I wouldn't trade Drouin now because his trade value is very low. I don't see another NHL GM even offering a mid 1st, let alone a top 10 or a top prospect/young player.

I'd probably take Girard if Colorado wanted to reunite Drouin snd Mckinon. But i don't think Colorado does that.

Hopefully Drouin can take his game to another level. It's possible. It's also possible he doesn't hit 50 points next year. He has a lot to fix.
His career trajectory says he will hit 50 again. If he doesn’t next season you are right he isn’t worth the above.

But at this moment in time, at his age he is a two time 50 point winger with a great playoff under his belt. He is worth more than a mid first. And if Bergevin trades him now for that return it is another notch in failure cap.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

Not to me, Byron is better hockey player.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
You're not afraid of the defensive ineptitude shown by Gardiner over the years?
I don't think he's that bad defensively and at the very least he can move the puck. At least he'd help us from an offense perspective.

And no matter what, he'd be an improvement on what we have. Because what we have right now sucks.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
I don't think you understand how bad he is. Not even that good offensively either. He's just on an offensive juggernaut so his stats are inflated.

If he were really that good, do you think they would let him walk instead of making room via trade?
No doubt. Right now Mete is better defensively than Jake. Offensively speaking is not close at this point, but Mete will definitely improve as he gains experience. He creates lots of changes for his teammates

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
For me it depends on the cap hit for guys like Hayes, Johansson, and Nyqvist.

If we sign one of them to a decent deal and trade Byron for a 2nd, imo we're at least as good next year, plus we get a 2nd. I like the idea of loading up on 1sts and 2nds and this type of move allows us to do so without sacrificing the present. But, it definitely depends on how much we have to pay for these players. I have to see more of Hayes. Many players don't play well with their new teams in a short stint - remember Erik Staal with the Rangers, and then he had 40 goals in Minnesota the next year. Hayes will still be in his prime next year (just turning 27 this summer) and has been a 50 point or 25 goal player since entering his prime. He just fetched a 1st plus a prospect plus a 4th in a trade. Perhaps we could trade him in 2 years for a 1st when Kotkaniemi will be 21 and Poehling 22. I'm ok with waiting until they're 21 and 22 to give them #1 and #2 center roles.

Absolutely agree with these types of moves. If you can sign a UFA better than Byron or Shaw at a decent Cap hit, and trade the two of them for 2nd round draft picks or better, it's a win-win. You slightly improve the lineup, but also stock the cupboards some more, or use the added 2nd rounders to move up to the first round -- or in the first round -- and have a shot at real elite talent.

How high can you move your 15th overall if you offer up to three 2nd rounders with it as an incentive? Top-5 pick from a team that is in complete rebuild?

If you've upgraded on Shaw and Byron by signing better, still young enough UFAs at decent Cap hits, it basically cost you nothing to add two 2nd round picks to your tally of draft selections, for a total of a 15th overall and four 2nd round picks (including the one we got from Vegas for pacioretty, along with tatar and Suzuki) in the first two rounds. Trading away your first and three 2nd rounders for a top-5 pick would still see you having a 2nd round pick, a 3rd round pick, a 4th round pick, two fifth round picks, a 6th round pick and a 7th round pick.

How enticing would trading the 15th, a 2nd round pick, a 3rd round pick, a 4th round pick and a 5th round pick? Seems like a lot, but if Montreal landed a 5th overall or better in return, it would leave them with 7 draft picks, still, in this draft. Only three would be 2nd rounders and 1 would be a top-5 or better pick.

I still think that signing mid-range UFAs can be turned into a better profit (maybe not a top-5 pick or better) for little real cost if we moved two veterans for 2nd rounders in Byron and Shaw, players who already are at the 3.4M and 3.9M Cap marks.

Adding a couple Million or so, overall, for better replacements and gaining a few second rounders in return certainly wouldn't be chopped liver and could be a truly defendable move.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nice. :laugh:

Who do we move though? Neither are considerably better than what we currently have. Maybe Lehkonen?

Drouin-Domi-Gallagher
Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Shaw
Lehkonen-Danault-Armia
Byron-Poehling-XXXX

I'm all for top UFAs, but these filler guys don't really have a spot.

Probably not going to happen with Hayes as he's more likely to stay with the Jets or go back to NY.

Assuming he were to sign for some reason, he can play all 3 forward positions.

There are a couple of wingers the Habs could move to create a spot.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Do whatever it takes to sign Gardiner. That's it.
We have only one hole, and it's on the LD.
After that, it's just a matter of the youngster getting experience.

Other than that, fire Bergevin, and bring in a good Special Units coach.
If you sign Gardiner , you will have 2 holes

Reactions: Kotkaniemi15

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Cap now around 75 million. Because of new tv deal cap is expected to go up next year to 80 million. Then 100 million within 4 years. How about taking on a contract for another first round pick? Or, another asset. Because Montreal has trouble signing the top free agents, we generally don't spend to the max anyway.

What about using this to benefit us?

Reactions: Apeironic

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No i do not.

Agreed. Hayes is a decent center but I rather go after someone with more skill and better skating. Lets not try to address our lack of strength in our top 9 or top 6 in UFA. Go after the guys with skill and skating with our cap space... less risky IMO.

Address the power forward issue in the draft.

Jpageman

Mar 10, 2019
I would trade Make a trade with Pitsburgh:

To Pittsburgh:

Drouin (obviously...)

To Mtl:

Oli Maatta

Straight up

Jpageman

Mar 10, 2019
You'd trade a 24 year old 50+ points winger for a healthy scratch? I get that people want Drouin out but surely, there are better ways to manage this asset.

I didn’t know he was a healthy scratch

What if the pens add picks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad