Speculation: What should the Habs do this offseason?

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I hope Bergevin pony's up and brings in top talent.

Remember when Gainey signed Cammaleri for 6 million and Gionta for 5 million - he out bid all the other teams. And the cap was only 57 million then. Gionta got 8.9% of the cap - that corresponds to 7.4 million under the 2019-2020 83 million dollar cap. Cammalleri's 6 million was 10.56% of the cap, which corresponds to 8.76 million per year under an 83 million dollar cap.

Gainey was really bold and it paid off. I hope Bergevin is bold and out bids all the other teams for the elite players (Duchene, Panarin, Karlesson) or the young players (Skinner and Kevin Hayes). You can't go wrong with any of those players. They are worth their high cap hit - as Cammalleri and Gionta were.
No interest in Hayes from me, he barely displaces anyone and he's going to command capspace they we are simply better off not using on him. I'd hang onto it again before offering Kevin freaking hayes a contract, please for the love of god MB, do not target him.

Reactions: WG and 26Mats

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
#1 don't use the playoff upsets to be an enabler to continue a path of mediocrity mixed with hope and luck

#2 fix the GDPP

Trade Droudini, hopefully someone is dumb enough to part with a a top 10 pick

Trade Shaw as his value is at an all-time high given the teams that lost out in the 1st round will be looking to add playoff grit, maybe he gets a late 1st

Use cap space to take on some assets

Demote DLo, Pecachu, and Weise permanently to the ECHL

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
#1 don't use the playoff upsets to be an enabler to continue a path of mediocrity mixed with hope and luck

#2 fix the GDPP

Trade Droudini, hopefully someone is dumb enough to part with a a top 10 pick

Trade Shaw as his value is at an all-time high given the teams that lost out in the 1st round will be looking to add playoff grit, maybe he gets a late 1st

Use cap space to take on some assets

Demote DLo, Pecachu, and Weise permanently to the ECHL

I don't hate Drouin but I'd trade him. No way we're getting a top 10 pick. I'd be fine with a mid-late 1st rounder though. I really don't think he's going anywhere and I'm not livid about that. I still think gambling on his upside isn't the dumbest thing to do.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I don't hate Drouin but I'd trade him. No way we're getting a top 10 pick. I'd be fine with a mid-late 1st rounder though. I really don't think he's going anywhere and I'm not livid about that. I still think gambling on his upside isn't the dumbest thing to do.
I hate his effort, never know what goes on behind closed doors but he appeared to get away with it until the last month so maybe getting demoted will be the shock to the ego he needs and will come back with a renewed outlook for 19-20. Hopefully there's still a few GMs that would gamble on his upside as well, I wouldn't sell low on him

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I hate his effort, never know what goes on behind closed doors but he appeared to get away with it until the last month so maybe getting demoted will be the shock to the ego he needs and will come back with a renewed outlook for 19-20. Hopefully there's still a few GMs that would gamble on his upside as well, I wouldn't sell low on him
Maybe a summer of reflection is All he needs, I doubt it since similar demotions have happened with Tampa and it appeared to make little difference.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
No interest in Hayes from me, he barely displaces anyone and he's going to command capspace they we are simply better off not using on him. I'd hang onto it again before offering Kevin freaking hayes a contract, please for the love of god MB, do not target him.

Admitedly, I've only seen him so much, and would target him to add size as well as skill. What don't you like about his game?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Admitedly, I've only seen him so much, and would target him to add size as well as skill. What don't you like about his game?

Hayes would be a good 4th C if Poehling isn't ready yet, but Kevin probably wants a long-term deal at nice coin, so we are probably not a fit.

Last edited:

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
I know the storyline on here is anti-Drouin, and heck he deserves the criticism. But the guy is a 50 point winger who at one point was on pace for over 60 points until a crazy cold spell.

You just do not trade 50 point wingers at his age for a mid first. That is crazy talk. Only way I trade him is for a top 10 or another young player with potential but isn’t as big of a complete unknown as a 16th.

A swap of Drouin and Ehlers makes more sense. Jets could shuffle the deck after disappointing 1st round. Ehlers had a down year.

That is the type of swap you make. Or you move him as a part of a bigger package for an established top dman

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I'm not high on Hayes at all. I didn't really watch him on NY but I watch a lot of Jets games and he was pretty bad. It's worth going over to their board and checking out what the fans think of him. It's pretty funny.

Reactions: 26Mats

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
He's not as good as Danault IMO who I find criminally underrated on these boards. I just don't think locking tweeners up to long term contracts positions us well for the future and barely moves the needle for the present while occupying capspace that is better served for a real need.

This team isn't a contender IMO and the only way to get there is to sign impact players or continue the youth movement. Hayes is just more of the same.

Reactions: DangerDave

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's not as good as Danault IMO who I find criminally underrated on these boards. I just don't think locking tweeners up to long term contracts positions us well for the future and barely moves the needle for the present while occupying capspace that is better served for a real need.

This team isn't a contender IMO and the only way to get there is to sign impact players or continue the youth movement. Hayes is just more of the same.

He fills the need for skilled players with size. I wouldn't call that more of the same...

That he's a center is only a problem if the centers aren't managed properly and/or he can't play wing at some point. I don't think you can have too many centers, as some can play wing and there will be injuries...

From what I saw in KK in the last 2/3 of the season, I don't think a year in Laval playing 20 minutes a night in all situations would hurt his development. In fact it might even help it. I'm a huge KK fan, but am in no rush in his case...

I also like adding assets that are at least as good as what we have, because then it allows us to trade veterans that they can replace for picks - 1sts and or 2nds. In this way it gives us assets to build for the fure or address needs. But yes the term and aav need to be right if they're not going to be game breakers.

I would give very big money to Duchene, Panarin and karlsson. If Cammalleri was worth 10.5% of the cap when we signed him, or 8.7 million against today's cap, what are Panarin, Duchene, and Karlsson worth?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I know the storyline on here is anti-Drouin, and heck he deserves the criticism. But the guy is a 50 point winger who at one point was on pace for over 60 points until a crazy cold spell.

You just do not trade 50 point wingers at his age for a mid first. That is crazy talk. Only way I trade him is for a top 10 or another young player with potential but isn’t as big of a complete unknown as a 16th.

A swap of Drouin and Ehlers makes more sense. Jets could shuffle the deck after disappointing 1st round. Ehlers had a down year.

That is the type of swap you make. Or you move him as a part of a bigger package for an established top dman

I wouldn't trade Drouin now because his trade value is very low. I don't see another NHL GM even offering a mid 1st, let alone a top 10 or a top prospect/young player.

I'd probably take Girard if Colorado wanted to reunite Drouin snd Mckinon. But i don't think Colorado does that.

Hopefully Drouin can take his game to another level. It's possible. It's also possible he doesn't hit 50 points next year. He has a lot to fix.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
He fills the need for skilled players with size. I wouldn't call that more of the same...

That he's a center is only a problem if the centers aren't managed properly and/or he can't play wing at some point. I don't think you can have too many centers, as some can play wing and there will be injuries...

From what I saw in KK in the last 2/3 of the season, I don't think a year in Laval playing 20 minutes a night in all situations would hurt his development. In fact it might even help it. I'm a huge KK fan, but am in no rush in his case...

I also like adding assets that are at least as good as what we have, because then it allows us to trade veterans that they can replace for picks - 1sts and or 2nds. In this way it gives us assets to build for the fure or address needs. But yes the term and aav need to be right if they're not going to be game breakers.

I would give very big money to Duchene, Panarin and karlsson. If Cammalleri was worth 10.5% of the cap when we signed him, or 8.7 million against today's cap, what are Panarin, Duchene, and Karlsson worth?
I would throw the book at Panarin or EK, and a pretty hefty offer to Duchene, I wouldn't spend any cap space at all on Hayes.

Reactions: Justin11

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Bergevin’s offseason agenda:

1. Draft an LD or sniper at the draft
2. Trade for a legitimate backup goalie who can play 15-20 games
3. Extend RFA’s (Weal, Kulak, Armia, Lehkonen)
4. Go after Karlsson/Panarin/Duchene
5. Explore an offer sheet for a top young player
6. Explore a trade for Drouin
7. Acquire a top 4 LD
8. Doing absolutely nothing big

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I would throw the book at Panarin or EK, and a pretty hefty offer to Duchene, I wouldn't spend any cap space at all on Hayes.

For me it depends on the cap hit for guys like Hayes, Johansson, and Nyqvist.

If we sign one of them to a decent deal and trade Byron for a 2nd, imo we're at least as good next year, plus we get a 2nd. I like the idea of loading up on 1sts and 2nds and this type of move allows us to do so without sacrificing the present. But, it definitely depends on how much we have to pay for these players. I have to see more of Hayes. Many players don't play well with their new teams in a short stint - remember Erik Staal with the Rangers, and then he had 40 goals in Minnesota the next year. Hayes will still be in his prime next year (just turning 27 this summer) and has been a 50 point or 25 goal player since entering his prime. He just fetched a 1st plus a prospect plus a 4th in a trade. Perhaps we could trade him in 2 years for a 1st when Kotkaniemi will be 21 and Poehling 22. I'm ok with waiting until they're 21 and 22 to give them #1 and #2 center roles.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Offer sheet Brayden Point 10 million aav. It would hurt losing our next 2 first round picks and a 2nd. But he's a player, would fit right in with Domi and Shaw.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O

Agreed. I'm not the biggest Danault supporter but Hayes is not an improvement on Danault. Center will be a strong point for this team sooner rather than later.

We need to address LD, PP and we need a sniper and Hayes is none of those. Suzuki looks like he can address the sniper and PP issues so we should put emphasis on improving the LD.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Do whatever it takes to sign Gardiner. That's it.
We have only one hole, and it's on the LD.
After that, it's just a matter of the youngster getting experience.

Other than that, fire Bergevin, and bring in a good Special Units coach.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Agreed. I'm not the biggest Danault supporter but Hayes is not an improvement on Danault. Center will be a strong point for this team sooner rather than later.

We need to address LD, PP and we need a sniper and Hayes is none of those. Suzuki looks like he can address the sniper and PP issues so we should put emphasis on improving the LD.

If no other free agents aside from Hayes want to come here, do you sign him? Remember it's easier for centers to play wing. And, let's suppose Byron can be traded for a 2nd.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

You're not afraid of the defensive ineptitude shown by Gardiner over the years?

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

Gardiner is mediocre. Fine puck-mover and skater, but not quite the stalwart in his own end.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
If no other free agents aside from Hayes want to come here, do you sign him? Remember it's easier for centers to play wing. And, let's suppose Byron can be traded for a 2nd.
Tough one. He'll want big money for sure and I would rather see our prospects get an opportunity given our current status. Don't like overpaying third liners.

If he wants a lot, I'd like MB to leverage an Armia type deal instead. Take on a bad contract and get a piece for the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad