Speculation: What should the Habs do this offseason?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't think they will keep Weal, as a UFA I could see him asking for too much, yea he did well with us in 16 games but in 47 games with yotes/flyers he had 1 more pt then he had with us. So you can't give him too much in case he's back to not producing much and you don't want Julien to overplay him again.

We'd need to get a right handed guy who is decent on faceoffs, so the coach has that option, which Weal was alone in providing.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Bye bye Babcock!

Did you all see the utter disgust on Leafs President Brendan Shanahan's face?! How did out bidding Buffalo for Babs feel right now!

Reactions: jaffy27

NeptunesTrident

Feb 22, 2007
Please don't sign Gardiner. He's a train wreck. Use the cap space as an asset. Winnipeg Edmonton Tampa etc are pressed. Get either prospects or picks to help them out.

Reactions: DangerDave

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
I really hope they don't lock themselves into another bad free agent contract like Gardiner or Simmonds. I'm willing to bet we don't land a big fish like Duchene or Panarin that could actually help our scoring and PP.

This team will take the next step off the backs of our prospects reaching their potentials, not some overpriced average UFA's. In my opinion this team takes a step back next year, with guys coming back down to earth and a very real possibility we are auctioning off guys like Shaw, Byron, Tatar and Petry at the deadline. Keep the books clean so whenever our window opens up we can actually take advantage of it for a year or 2.

HabsTown

Jun 5, 2014
Montreal
I'd offer 15th + Weise for Nylander. Let the Leafs draft their RHD. We'll use our 2nd's to draft a LHD. There are some gems D's in that round.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I'd offer 15th + Weise for Nylander. Let the Leafs draft their RHD. We'll use our 2nd's to draft a LHD. There are some gems D's in that round.
That could work. I'm personally not that high on Nylander but I wouldnt hate this sort of deal. A lot of the hype around him has faded so I don't think his value is anywhere what it was.

Reactions: HabsTown

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal

Nylander is an overpaid lazy ass bum. If people are losing their mind over Drouin's play, they're gonna riot over Nylander's.

We should go nowhere near this garbage.

Subbanned

Nov 4, 2011
Do NOT sign Gardiner! I know he was injured but his decision making is what makes him so awful. On the other hand, that Rielly is a stud..

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Still think Gardiner takes way too much abuse. He's really not that bad defensively and he's really good with the puck. He's an underrated blueliner.

Can't disagree that he looked bad though and apparently his injuries might be serious enough to warrant surgery. So reluctantly, I will go with the crowd on this one. Signing him would probably be a mistake.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Bergevin should talk to Domi and ask him to talk to either Skinner or Duchene (all these guys from Ontario) to convince one of them to come to Montreal.

Skinner / Domi / Shaw
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher

:naughty:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Still think Gardiner takes way too much abuse. He's really not that bad defensively and he's really good with the puck. He's an underrated blueliner.

Can't disagree that he looked bad though and apparently his injuries might be serious enough to warrant surgery. So reluctantly, I will go with the crowd on this one. Signing him would probably be a mistake.

Gardiner won't sign in Montreal so I'm happy about this. He's overrated and no better than Kulak or Reilly.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I still think getting an A-tier winger and trading Drouin or our first round pick or even both for a top-4 LD is the best avenue.

Up front I'd look long and hard at Panarin and Skinner.
On the back end I'd try and deal some combination of Drouin and picks for Fowler in Anaheim.

Panarin/Skinner - Domi - Shaw
Tatar - Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Danault - Armia
Byron - Thompson - Deslauriers
Dept UFA signings

Fowler - Weber
Mete - Petry
Benn - Juulsen
Kulak/Folin

Price
Lindgren

First call ups:
Poehling if we get an injury at C
Suzuki if we get an injury on W
Brook if we get an injury on D

I think that's a playoffs team, and that if Suzuki, Poehling and Brook develop at least as good as expected, we're not that far off.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Gardiner won't sign in Montreal so I'm happy about this. He's overrated and no better than Kulak or Reilly.

He won't sign in Montreal, and I understand people are extra cautious because of the recent Alzner debacle (I didn't see it coming and I should have, I was totally wrong on him), but Gardiner is totally different. He's not a top-pairing D but used in the right circumstances, he can be of good use. He'd be a terrible partner for Petry, but I think people underestimate how Weber makes anyone paired with him better than they are. Brett Kulak looked like a very decent D next to him. That's no coincidence. I think Gardiner would look good playing 20 minutes with Weber, and being on the bench in 1-goal games.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Bergevin should talk to Domi and ask him to talk to either Skinner or Duchene (all these guys from Ontario) to convince one of them to come to Montreal.

Skinner / Domi / Shaw
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher

:naughty:

I think we're at a point where, as good as Danault can be, Kotkaniemi will have to take the next step and play as a top-2 C in order for us to take the next step. Danault is not doing any better as he did last year, ever.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

giphy.gif

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think we're at a point where, as good as Danault can be, Kotkaniemi will have to take the next step and play as a top-2 C in order for us to take the next step. Danault is not doing any better as he did last year, ever.

I think Kotkaniemi might have stall years in development. The real Kotkaniemi will stand up at age 21 or 22 when he fills into that frame. For now, playing 3C is a good spot. Heck, nobody is talking about it but maybe Poehling steals the 3C job from him next year. We will see

But I do agree with you. We likely only take the next step when Kotakaniemi shows ability to be a better center and earns a top 2C role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad