Speculation: What should the Habs do this offseason?

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Bergevin’s offseason agenda:

1. Draft an LD or sniper at the draft
2. Trade for a legitimate backup goalie who can play 15-20 games
3. Extend RFA’s (Weal, Kulak, Armia, Lehkonen)
4. Go after Karlsson/Panarin/Duchene
5. Explore an offer sheet for a top young player
6. Explore a trade for Drouin
7. Acquire a top 4 LD
1. Always go with BPA
2.Why give up assets for a backup ? Sign an UFA
3.The first 2 yes... the other two, depends on who you get as UFAs
4.Do not want Karlsson... Panarin, roll out the $$$ ... Duchene as a backup, maybe, if his asking price drops.
5.Offer sheets cap count for the total sum on 5 years, that way too much ex. 84mil over 7 years for Marner = for the habs 16,8mi AAVl... waaaay too much.
6. THAT I agree with... Top 4 D-man
7. See no 6

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bergevin’s offseason agenda:

1. Draft an LD or sniper at the draft
2. Trade for a legitimate backup goalie who can play 15-20 games
3. Extend RFA’s (Weal, Kulak, Armia, Lehkonen)
4. Go after Karlsson/Panarin/Duchene
5. Explore an offer sheet for a top young player
6. Explore a trade for Drouin
7. Acquire a top 4 LD

1. BPA
2. Goalies are readily available, do not overpay.
3. No-brainers, all will be extended.
4. Go after any elite-level UFA who remotely shows interest.
5. I don't believe Bergevin has the guts to offer sheet anyone.
6. Drouin is a player to dangle as part of a package.
7. First pairing D is the priority -- left handed D currently on roster will simply go down a notch once that first pairing D is added.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I totally like the idea. I know it would screw up the Habs's payroll structure but who cares. The cap room is there, do it. Worse case scenario, it forces whoever wants to sign Karlsson to probably have to match in order to get him. They'll have at least succeeded in causing someone else's cap room to crater.

I'd love to sign Karlsson.

I have to admit i'm a bit worried though. His injuries past few seasons....i haven't followed enough to know how serious they were/long lasting, but it seems like he's had a few. Investing long term and top dollar in a player where health is a big concern is a bit troubling. But if it's nothing that should leave long-lasting effect, i'd be all for it.

We have cap room so I agree - overpay i don't care. 13M$+ for 7 years.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
If the Habs could grab a Karlsson. I’d get it done.

I’d look to move Petry if this happens. Sell high on him.

Sign:

Karlsson
Gardiner
Nyquist

Trade:

Petry
Drouin

Tatar Domi Nyquist
Drouin Danault Gallagher
Byron Kotkaniemi Armia
Weal Poehling Shaw
Deslauriers

Mete Karlsson
Gardiner Weber
Kulak Juulsen
Folin

Price
Lindgren/ UFA goalie.

looks like you traded Lehkonen, not Drouin.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
I have a feeling Bergevin signs Edler/Gardiner and perhaps some depth forward...

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Domi - Kotkaniemi - Drouin
Byron/Lekhonen - Poehling - Shaw
Lekhonen/Byron - Weal - Armia

Mete - Weber
Edler/Gardiner - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen
Folin - Benn

Price
Lindgren

No room for Evans/Suzuki unless someone is injured. Our wing depth is impressive but we still lack elite offensive players.

Last edited:

euhchepas

Jan 16, 2015
I have a feeling Bergevin signs Edler/Gardiner and perhaps some depth forward...

Mete - Weber
Edler/Gardiner - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen
Folin - Benn

Price
Lindgren

No room for Evans/Suzuki unless someone is injured. Our wing depth is impressive but we still lack elite offensive players.
The only way Domi isn't at center next year is if Kotkaniemi is clearly at no1 center level and Poehling looks lik a very good 3rd line center

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
1) Explore whether a Drouin for Gostisbehere base is something Philly would do.

2) Imitate the Bickell to Carolina trade and find out who Flordia would give up for us to take Reimer. There was reported interest in Lindgren last season. So a 2nd or 3rd + Lindgren for Reimer and ...

3) If Drouin is traded, sign one of the top tiered UFA forwards.

Example Roster:

Domi - Duchene - Shaw
Byron - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Lehkonen - Poehling - Weal
Deslauriers - Thompson

Gostisbehere - Weber
Mete - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen
Folin

Price
Reimer

WG

Sep 9, 2008
He'll prob go back to Rags as a no 2 C. Habs would have to overpay. 7.5 X 7 years. And No 1 C would tempt him. Hayes would easily get 25 goals as no 1 C in Montreal. Hayes KK and Pails would be a monster C lineup in 2 years. All of them are big and can score goals.
Wait, what? 7 years and almost 8M for a 20-goal, 45-point guy because he's big?

The Habs GM and plenty of posters here were super offended at the notion of going any higher than 6.25 X 5 on Radulov, who I'd take 10/10 over Hayes.

I'd also 10/10 much rather put that cash outlay towards the contract of a far better player like Panarin. 7 X 11M for Panarin >> 7 x 7.75M for Hayes.

Sit on 10M cap space for two years and then finally break the bank to sign Hayes. Yuck.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Last week's Panthers hiring of Coach Q instantly made that club better and they will seriously challenge the Habs for fourth place.

Today's hiring of Stevie Y by the Red Wings replacing Ken Holland improved that team so only the woeful Sens and the Sabres aren't making Marc Bergevin's jon more difficult.

RyderRocks73

Jul 1, 2015
Moncton, NB
Assuming we can't land a big fish on LD this summer, would anyone think about offering Coburn a two year deal to ease the transition for Mete/Romanov? Would be a fairly cheap short term option, might have to slightly overpay but nothing crazy.

klacour

Apr 19, 2019
Sign Duchene
Trade Drouin (potentially as part of a package) for one of Gostisbehere, Fowler, Klefbom, Nurse, Brodin,
Sign Elliot

Domi-Duchene-Shaw
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Byron-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Lehkonen-Poehling-Weal

Ghost/Fowler/Brodin-Weber
Mete-Petry
Kulak-Juulsen

Price
Elliot

EDIT: Wow. I just realised someone posted basically this exact same thing a couple of posts before me... Great minds?

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Mete - Weber
Edler/Gardiner - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen
Folin - Benn

Price
Lindgren

I could see that happening as it is not overwhelming in terms of moves and attracting gardiner might be easier than any high profile forward.

I seriously doubt that Edler doesn't finish his career in Vancouver, though, so I don't see him coming to Montreal.

That could well be a better offense than last season, especially if Kotkaniemi comes back stronger after a summer of working out. I also think that the KK line would be solid enough defensively to prevent Julien from cutting its TOI. I'd go with a third and fourth line of Lehkonen - Poehling - Shaw and Byron - Weal - Armia because I liked the winger tandem of Lehkonen and Shaw with Domi to end the season, plus Byrons speed, along with Weal on the 4th line could help create some complimentary scoring.

Clearly, though, as you say, the forward core is still lacking some elite scoring talent. Perhaps Suzuki can become that on an eventual line of Domi - Kotkaniemi - Suzuki and Drouin could play on a solid line of Lehkonen - Poehling - Drouin or Drouin - Poehling - Lehkonen/Ylonen in a few years.

Mete - Weber
Edler/Gardiner - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen
Folin - Benn

For the D, if we had Edler, your lineup would be excellent, but with Gardiner, placing a brain cramp LHD with a brain cramp RHD in Petry would be a serious mistake. Gardiner's best side will be brought forth only if he plays with Weber. I'd go with Kulak returning alongside Petry and Mete paired with Juulsen again.

Gardiner - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Mete - Juulsen

Eventually, that 2nd pairing would be replaced by Romanov - Brook, no doubt.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Erik Karlsson loved his lengthy stay in Ottawa so signing on with Montreal isn't out of the question. He'll command PK Subban money and more to make up for the high Quebec income tax.

thegoalie39

Nov 28, 2018
Why even entertain scenarios with a brain dead D like Gardiner, at all? Trade for someone better, it’s doable.
Yes,trade for someone like Brodin who would not cost a ton or someone like Hampus Lindholm who would cost more.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I would like Habs to try and sign Anders Lee for our RW side. His size is sorely needed.

Then try to trade Drouin for a LD to play with Webs or Petry.

Have a long look too at Poehling to make sure he can play in the NHL without being scratched half the season.

If they try for Duchene, then Domi goes back to LW... no choice.

The earlier posts of trying to get Ghost or provorov is very intriguing. I would give Drouin and both our 2nds if it lands us one of those guys.

I feel however that trading Drouin goes hand in hand with signing a center otherwise we then become weaker on LW.

If things can go as planned we can have the following line up.

Domi - Duchene - Lee
Tatar - Danault - Gally
Byron - Kotka - Shaw
Lehky - Weal - Armia
Poehling

Ghost - Weber
Mete - Petry
Kulak - Folin
Juulsen - Benn

That really balances out everything. Also improves overall skill on bottom 6 which helps with injuries. Our bottom 6 wings can easily handle top minutes while top 6 players are injured.

We then end up with a #1 trio
A #1b/high end #2 trio and 2 good #3 trios.

And our D is instantly better and more mobile and with the addition of a Ghost on the point will surely help our PP.

But it's a lot of work. And a lot of PR to entice Lee and Duchene to sign here.

Feel this team will still be fast, be more offensive, harder to play against and still fun to watch. PP improved and Carey being Carey and we can be competitive for a good decade.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Mete - Weber
Edler/Gardiner - Petry
Kulak - Juulsen
Folin - Benn

Price
Lindgren

I hope Bergevin pony's up and brings in top talent.

Remember when Gainey signed Cammaleri for 6 million and Gionta for 5 million - he out bid all the other teams. And the cap was only 57 million then. Gionta got 8.9% of the cap - that corresponds to 7.4 million under the 2019-2020 83 million dollar cap. Cammalleri's 6 million was 10.56% of the cap, which corresponds to 8.76 million per year under an 83 million dollar cap.

Gainey was really bold and it paid off. I hope Bergevin is bold and out bids all the other teams for the elite players (Duchene, Panarin, Karlesson) or the young players (Skinner and Kevin Hayes). You can't go wrong with any of those players. They are worth their high cap hit - as Cammalleri and Gionta were.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Why even entertain scenarios with a brain dead D like Gardiner, at all? Trade for someone better, it’s doable.
This fanbase has gotten desperate. We'll except anything, even Toronto's junk. I'd rather save the money then make a signing like Jake Gardiner, who let's be honest, doesn't really move the needle for the habs. He's not the kind of impact player we should be looking to spend that money on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I would like Habs to try and sign Anders Lee for our RW side. His size is sorely needed.

Then try to trade Drouin for a LD to play with Webs or Petry.

Have a long look too at Poehling to make sure he can play in the NHL without being scratched half the season.

If they try for Duchene, then Domi goes back to LW... no choice.

The earlier posts of trying to get Ghost or provorov is very intriguing. I would give Drouin and both our 2nds if it lands us one of those guys.

I feel however that trading Drouin goes hand in hand with signing a center otherwise we then become weaker on LW.

If things can go as planned we can have the following line up.

Domi - Duchene - Lee
Tatar - Danault - Gally
Byron - Kotka - Shaw
Lehky - Weal - Armia
Poehling

Ghost - Weber
Mete - Petry
Kulak - Folin
Juulsen - Benn

That really balances out everything. Also improves overall skill on bottom 6 which helps with injuries. Our bottom 6 wings can easily handle top minutes while top 6 players are injured.

We then end up with a #1 trio
A #1b/high end #2 trio and 2 good #3 trios.

And our D is instantly better and more mobile and with the addition of a Ghost on the point will surely help our PP.

But it's a lot of work. And a lot of PR to entice Lee and Duchene to sign here.

Feel this team will still be fast, be more offensive, harder to play against and still fun to watch. PP improved and Carey being Carey and we can be competitive for a good decade.
Seems like this roster likely has us over the cap or at least close, but I like the lineup changes. I don't think ghost would be the d I target.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad