Proposal: What Should the Bruins do this Summer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I'm with you, Brodin dosen't excite me at all and I sure wouldn't deal Carlo for him. If Brodin wasn't a former 1st round pick people wouldn't be nearly so intrigued by him.

I didn't really know he was a former top 10 pick until a couple days ago, and I still like. Haven't seen a ton of him, but defensive guy, young, talented. May not be an offensive force, but if you pair him with McAvoy who seems to have some serious offensive upside, that's a killer pair. Guys like Muzzin and Methot are extremely valuable to Doughty and Karlsson resepctively.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'm with you, Brodin dosen't excite me at all and I sure wouldn't deal Carlo for him. If Brodin wasn't a former 1st round pick people wouldn't be nearly so intrigued by him.

I actually think he'd be a quality pickup...just not for some of the prices I see for him. As a second pairing guy who can move the puck and compliment a defensive minded dman ( Carlo! ) I think he'll be just fine. You need two pairings you trust to go out there and do the job. Just going by eye, I think he's played much better with lesser minutes and responsibilities.

Krug -- McAvoy

Brodin -- Carlo

Chara -- KMiller/CMiller/McQuaid

The question becomes: Can Krug handle top pairing minutes? One can make a valid argument that he shared number one duties last year with Chara

Total Minutes

1. 1749:57 - Chara
2. 1749:39 - Krug
3. 1706:54 - Carlo

Shifts Per Game

1. 26.2 - Chara
2. 26.1 - Krug
3. 25.4 - Carlo

However: Krug's defensive game was up and down this year with the added responsibilities and the worry about size-related mismatches are there with top pairing minutes. Last year both Julien and Cassidy did an excellent job of giving Krug the shifts and minutes while sheltering him from the tougher competition that the Chara - Carlo combo usually took on.

If the Bruins brass is looking to have a similar setup with sheltering Krug and using him as a puesdo number 1 guy but replacing Chara in the top four, I don't think Brodin is that guy. I would look more to Fowler, a guy who's proven he can move the puck, play number one minutes/shifts, and perform well doing it.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I actually think he'd be a quality pickup...just not for some of the prices I see for him. As a second pairing guy who can move the puck and compliment a defensive minded dman ( Carlo! ) I think he'll be just fine. You need two pairings you trust to go out there and do the job. Just going by eye, I think he's played much better with lesser minutes and responsibilities.

Krug -- McAvoy

Brodin -- Carlo

Chara -- KMiller/CMiller/McQuaid

The question becomes: Can Krug handle top pairing minutes? One can make a valid argument that he shared number one duties last year with Chara

Total Minutes

1. 1749:57 - Chara
2. 1749:39 - Krug
3. 1706:54 - Carlo

Shifts Per Game

1. 26.2 - Chara
2. 26.1 - Krug
3. 25.4 - Carlo

However: Krug's defensive game was up and down this year with the added responsibilities and the worry about size-related mismatches are there with top pairing minutes. Last year both Julien and Cassidy did an excellent job of giving Krug the shifts and minutes while sheltering him from the tougher competition that the Chara - Carlo combo usually took on.

If the Bruins brass is looking to have a similar setup with sheltering Krug and using him as a puesdo number 1 guy but replacing Chara in the top four, I don't think Brodin is that guy. I would look more to Fowler, a guy who's proven he can move the puck, play number one minutes/shifts, and perform well doing it.

three pairs all playing around 20 mins of appropriate icetime is what i look for

mcavoy and his new partner skating with the krejci line to create offense

chara and carlo skating with bergeron in a shut down role

krug/mcquaid getting less 5 on 5 time but more specialty time... krug getting more time when we need a goal

i dont think the new guy needs to be here more than 2 seasons. with zboril/lingren/lauzon around i think paying them on the cheap in 2 years is better than paying brodin/fowler to be likely our 4th best dman at that time

mcavoy/carlo/krug are the future unless we trade one of them and they will be expensive

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It's been a while since I've seen McLaren obviously, but if my memory is right, I think Carlo is better with the puck.

Carlo is better with the puck in an era that demands it more. McLaren was nastier in an era that demanded it more. Both played top pairing minutes as teenagers. I like Carlo. A lot. But, I remember folks on WEEI not being willing to move McLaren for Shanahan. Carlo is good early, and I'm not close enough to being qualified to know what his ceiling really is, but, I do know that everyone should have a price.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Carlo is better with the puck in an era that demands it more. McLaren was nastier in an era that demanded it more. Both played top pairing minutes as teenagers. I like Carlo. A lot. But, I remember folks on WEEI not being willing to move McLaren for Shanahan. Carlo is good early, and I'm not close enough to being qualified to know what his ceiling really is, but, I do know that everyone should have a price.

This is right. And I put more weight on the entire amateur career than I do one NHL season next to Zdeno Chara. I like the kid and I'm hopeful he is a top 3, but I think expectations should be just slightly above what they were this time last offseason. Something around a 2nd pairing guy with size and some skill. If you get an offer that you'd accept for such a player, you take it.

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
Don't know if anyone has proposed it yet but what about Brendan Smith. He looked great with the Rangers and has always been a gamer. Good skater for his size, left handed shot who plays with a lot of heart. He would be a solid addition to the D if none of the young lefties step up.

Chara McAvoy
Krug Carlo
Smith McQuaid (Colin Miller)

Would be one rock solid defense. Then if we add one top six winger, potentially through trading Spooner and or Vatrano and a pick we would be set. Also would like to see Moore brought back.

Something like:

Marchand Bergeron Backes
E. Kane Krejci Pastrnak
Debrusk JFK Heinen (I think Heinen and Debrusk have done enough in the AHL at this point all they have to do is bring intensity and effort to camp and they should make the team)
Schaller Moore Accari (Moore always gives it his all and has underrated hockey sense, Schaller and Accari proved themselves in the first round of the playoffs, they produced. I don't care what their regular season stat line is as long as they play the way they did in the Ottawa series come playoff time. They changed my mind about their usefulness)

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

Anyone is movable for the right price. All depends on the return. But all things considered... Young top 4 defenseman are a rare commodity. I'm not trading him away for any of the packages we've seen this team accept in the past for our young high ceiling players.

Young, except top 6 forward? Maybe. Depending on that players ceiling. Otherwise. Carlo fills a direct need. Otherwise we are back to Adam McQuaid and Kevan Miller as top 4 options once again.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Frederic has size, moves well, is good defensively, and just started coming into his own offensively. He was always put into a more defensive role in the US Dev program, but at Wisconsin, he was over a point per game as a true freshman. He's the one player the B's have in the system right now that appears to have a chance of being a #1 C.

I don't think that Frederic will become a first-line center. He probably tops out as a #2, which would still be great. JFK would slot in as a Bergeron-lite #3. Who knows, though: maybe Frederic will surprise us all and become Boston's own Getzlaf. In any event, I hope that Boston considers both Frederic and JFK as untouchable.

I'd do Carlo and Vatrano for Drouin in a heartbeat. I love Brandon but I think you can groom a similar RHD down the road. I'm not sure of Carlo's ceiling that will be the million dollar gamble.

Such as? Boston should also consider Carlo (Boston's own Hjalmarsson) and McAvoy to be untouchable. The team is blessed with two young, talented right-shot defensemen and should not let either of them go.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Yeah I agree. They do prefer it and it's easier for sure. But it's not mandatory, and it isn't something that would prevent me from making a clear upgrade if it's available.

Right now...

Left side: Chara, Krug, Morrow, ROG, Grizz, Zboril/Lauzon

Right side: Carlo, McAvoy, McQ, K and C Miller

I see 4 guys that are capable of playing legit Top 4 minutes: Chara, Krug, Carlo, McAvoy

That could change dramatically over the next few weeks depending on what happens, but based on what I see now, and what is likely to happen (one of Killer, McQ, Chiller lost to Vegas), I think trading Carlo creates more of an issue than what adding Brodin takes care of (a Top 4 replacement for Chara next year and beyond).

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
What makes Carlo different than Kyle McLaren?

Mclaren plateaued and had a bunch of things of ice that I believe took away from his focus

Carlo is a much better skater and defensively a superior foundation

Kyle was edgier and played off that style 'allowed' back then

Skating

Mclaren was average
Carlo is very good

Mclaren had today's coaching and edge work all of today's improvements 20-25 years ago he's a better player

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I project Carlo is a top tier PK and final minute of periods guy

Legit top 4 second pair RHD

By age 25 he will be what teams look for

You can't have all drivers or putters in your bag

Would I deal him in a package for Trouba or Fowler. Yes

But he's a fantastic piece for that second pair regular shift who has the look of elite shut down skills

He is tradeable in a package but the guy coming back has to be better and elite

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
What makes Carlo different than Kyle McLaren?

The first year McLaren was far better than first year Carlo IMO. I don't want to knock Carlo but I'd take early McLaren over him every day of the week.

I do however think Carlo may have a higher offensive side but he won't come close in the nastiness/hitting that Mac showed.

I would move Carlo in the right deal. If you get a Drouin or Lando for him and a piece you do that deal.

PacificNWBruin

Apr 23, 2015
Netherlands
Young Dmen hold higher value. Drouin is still a disappointment. I wouldn't trade Carlo unless it's for better then Drouin or Lando. We start moving our young defenseman we'll be right back in the boat of struggling to have an actual top 4 and blame loses on our D. Chara is almost at the point of retiring. I say stay the course with our young D. See what happens at the expansion draft and go from there.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Don't know if anyone has proposed it yet but what about Brendan Smith. He looked great with the Rangers and has always been a gamer. Good skater for his size, left handed shot who plays with a lot of heart. He would be a solid addition to the D if none of the young lefties step up.

Chara McAvoy
Krug Carlo
Smith McQuaid (Colin Miller)

Smith is a pretty good but not great player. He is a 3rd pairing D man here, but a good one, he might fit on the 2nd pairing in some other locales.

Question is what is his price. for 2 years and 6 million I might be interested; although it shuts the door on O'Gara, and maybe some of the other young guys.

In the FA market GM's get really stupid, and I could easily see Smith walking away with a 5 year 20 million dollar contract from someone. Absolutely have no interest in him in a long term bigger money deal, as I don't see him as a guy who can move into the top 2 pairings when Z retires

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Young Dmen hold higher value. Drouin is still a disappointment. I wouldn't trade Carlo unless it's for better then Drouin or Lando. We start moving our young defenseman we'll be right back in the boat of struggling to have an actual top 4 and blame loses on our D. Chara is almost at the point of retiring. I say stay the course with our young D. See what happens at the expansion draft and go from there.

I honestly don't get the Drouin fascination.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I honestly don't get the Drouin fascination.

In my opinion he's going to be another Phil Kessel. Great offensive complimentary player but you won't win with him as your main piece.

I hope we keep Carlo/McAvoy. We just watched a few seasons of pretty ugly D corps, so I'm relatively surprised people want to move on so quickly.

Not to mention I don't want a guy who is going to ask for a trade when he hasn't proven a thing in the league yet. If we want someone with character issues + potential let's go with E. Kane

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
In my opinion he's going to be another Phil Kessel. Great offensive complimentary player but you won't win with him as your main piece.

I hope we keep Carlo/McAvoy. We just watched a few seasons of pretty ugly D corps, so I'm relatively surprised people want to move on so quickly.

Not to mention I don't want a guy who is going to ask for a trade when he hasn't proven a thing in the league yet. If we want someone with character issues + potential let's go with E. Kane

Couple of things.

Here, I don't think he'd be the main piece to the offense. Pasta, Marchand, Bergeron, would all be above him in regard to their value/importance.

As for the character stuff, aside from asking to be traded a few years back, I haven't really heard anything about him having trouble in that area.

Admittedly, I don't follow the Lightning very closely, but you have to wonder how much of the trade request was at the urging of those around him?

Personally, I don't see Carlo's upside to be as high as some here.

I think that his ceiling is as a #4 on a cup contender, which is nothing to sneeze at.

However, with the group of young defensemen the B's have on the way, plus the possibility of them finding a way to obtain a solid replacement for Carlo this summer, I'd move him for Drouin.

The kid is only 22 and scored 53 points in his first full year and although it's a small sample size, he was really good in the playoffs last year -- 5-9-14 in 17 games.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada

That might be tempting, but I think Sweeney should try as much as possible to leverage the expansion draft to consolidate the Bs assets.

The time has come, or will come soon, where Sweeney will have to make a move, not just for the sake of it, but to streamline the prospect pool.

It would be great if he could package some assets to acquire a young veteran around 24-26 years old (think Landy).
That would clear a bit of space in the organization, giving more room for the prospects to grow and some added punch to the big club.

And depending of the targeted young veteran(s), there should not be a lot of untouchable prospects.
I smell a danger of falling in love with prospects, but gotta thread carefully here.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Couple of things.

Here, I don't think he'd be the main piece to the offense. Pasta, Marchand, Bergeron, would all be above him in regard to their value/importance.

As for the character stuff, aside from asking to be traded a few years back, I haven't really heard anything about him having trouble in that area.

Admittedly, I don't follow the Lightning very closely, but you have to wonder how much of the trade request was at the urging of those around him?

Personally, I don't see Carlo's upside to be as high as some here.

I think that his ceiling is as a #4 on a cup contender, which is nothing to sneeze at.

However, with the group of young defensemen the B's have on the way, plus the possibility of them finding a way to obtain a solid replacement for Carlo this summer, I'd move him for Drouin.

The kid is only 22 and scored 53 points in his first full year and although it's a small sample size, he was really good in the playoffs last year -- 5-9-14 in 17 games.

There were no real issues besides asking for the trade and refusing to play in the AHL (which I take as very serious character issues).

I just get from his personality and the way he plays that Drouin is more interested in getting points than actually winning. He's young though and could easily mature...I'd prefer to stay away from him though and keep the younger D, since D >>>> Wingers

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
my two cents on Carlo. First there is no one on the team that is not tradable. Bergeron will have his number retired here when he is done and Marchand may be on the verge of becoming a consistent 40 goal scorer. I would move both of them if you can improve your team. The question then becomes do you have faith in Sweeney, but we won't go into that.

Carlo could be the key in a trade that takes the Bruins from tweeners to contenders. I'm not saying this is realistic in anyway because of money and NMC clauses but what if Winnipeg offered Mark Scheifele, Dustin Byfuglien, Adam Lowry and Chris Thorburn for Carlo and Krecji and retained enough salary to make the deal work?

Now you have to figure out Carlo's potential, is he McLaren, Seabrook or someone who has a great rookie year and never lives up to the potential? I take the sure thing every time, the established player who I know will be solid for 5-6 more years. Landeskog or Simmonds come to mind. All that said I see Sweeney as more of a Theo Epstein and not trading unless needed. Will be very interesting to see what happens over the next few weeks.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
We could use a Kessel-like guy. Heck, every team could. Drouin wouldn't need to be a centerpiece here.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Okay but just watching the Penguins these last few seasons should show us the value of a Phil Kessel. He's basically like adding another Pastrnak. I think Drouin would be an unbelievable add to this team, and I'd move Carlo, Vatrano ++ to get him. But I don't see why TB makes that move, and especially not within the division. One would think if TB moved him they could get a better player than either of those two Bruins, plus a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad