Proposal: What Should the Bruins do this Summer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
We could use a Kessel-like guy. Heck, every team could. Drouin wouldn't need to be a centerpiece here.

Really, a whining crybaby who plays when he feels like it, notorious for poor character and work habits, a pure one way player who has probably never even met his goalie and thinks a rink doesn't have corners? No, I'll pass on a phil the thrill type thanks. A pure goal scorer who works hard and has solid charater I would take but not one with Kessel like baggage. Pittsburgh is the perfect fit for him.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I took this from the Trade Board. About 10 minutes left in the show, they discuss the expansion draft and Minnesota. Don't know anything about the source, but there you have it. Said he's pretty sure they are going to trade one of Brodin or Dumba and protect the other. Likely Dumba. Gotta think Boston is ALL over this.

https://soundcloud.com/mnspn/the-russo-souhan-show-103

Oddly enough, the first reply in the thread was Carlo for Dumba.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I think that his ceiling is as a #4 on a cup contender, which is nothing to sneeze at.

I don't know. Niklas Hjalmarsson has been the #3 in Chicago for the last 7-8 years. I actually think Carlo has slightly more upside, but same general type of defenseman. He's shown the ability to generate more shots at a younger age.

He's never going to be mr. eveyrthing. I kind of see the same thing in Brodin. That could be a similar, possibly better version of Hjalmarsson/Oduya.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I know this wasn't your proposal but ...

How does this help Boston? if anything it's a wash, from Boston's perspective just keep Carlo.

Yes not my proposal. Don't think it does. The ask was for exempt players, and Carlo was the first guy that was mentioned.

I dont think Carlo would be on the block. Picks and prospects.

I agree. I know Frederic + 1st was tossed around by Minnesota fans. Had some mixed reviews in this thread. Just thinking about the exempt factor, maybe Minnesota would be interested in a guy like Vatrano?

My overall point is that I hope Boston is in on this for Brodin, but even if it's Dumba, they should still be kicking around the idea.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Really, a whining crybaby who plays when he feels like it, notorious for poor character and work habits, a pure one way player who has probably never even met his goalie and thinks a rink doesn't have corners? No, I'll pass on a phil the thrill type thanks. A pure goal scorer who works hard and has solid charater I would take but not one with Kessel like baggage. Pittsburgh is the perfect fit for him.

I am not a big Thrill fan, but I think you are living in 2011. It seems to me that he has improved in a bunch of his problem areas over the last 2-3 years. He admitted in an interview recently that he could have done things differently in Boston under Clode. I don't like the salary (or PIT), but he's a valuable cog on the defending SC champion and without him, they don't win last year.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I am not a big Thrill fan, but I think you are living in 2011. It seems to me that he has improved in a bunch of his problem areas over the last 2-3 years. He admitted in an interview recently that he could have done things differently in Boston under Clode. I don't like the salary (or PIT), but he's a valuable cog on the defending SC champion and without him, they don't win last year.

I agree with the poster you quoted I think he's the same Kessel in all his faults. He's just much more consistent offensively. His awareness and his ability to use his teamates has improved exponentially - he's not just a one trick wonder he was skating down the right side and firing it at the goalie - though he still does that.

But everything that people hated about Kessel when he was a Bruin I don't think he's done anythign to fix those issues.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

More like 1978 but in Phil's case I have watched him this year, watched him with Malkin and just still see the whiner he was here. Kessel is the kind of player that I can't stand. Any dedication from him and he is dominant and a top ten player but he can't be bothered to care or try. Alex Kovalev, Daigle and a young Jagr also fall into this category.

I by no means am a gym rat anymore, nor a pro hockey player, but if I was a coach and a player laughed at me when I said he should go to the gym because he needs to add strength and endurance to help the team...we'll just say it wouldn't end well.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
We have 3 years until all our veteran centers are 34+ and 2 years until McAvoy and Carlo are on to their 2nd deals. Make some trades and go hard for it. Trim the Hayes and Beleskey fat and get good players with some of our beloved prospects.

Determine which ones you really want and which ones you can let go. Or we will soon be watching a 36 year old Bergeron wondering what could have been and that would make me sad.

Last edited:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Okay but just watching the Penguins these last few seasons should show us the value of a Phil Kessel. He's basically like adding another Pastrnak. I think Drouin would be an unbelievable add to this team, and I'd move Carlo, Vatrano ++ to get him. But I don't see why TB makes that move, and especially not within the division. One would think if TB moved him they could get a better player than either of those two Bruins, plus a little more.

Certainly we could use a guy like him. I'm just not willing to part from a young Dman for him. The price would just be too high IMO.

If anything I try to get a center for Carlo....we have Bergy and Krejci only getting older with no guaranteed guy for the future (JFK and Fredric are still very much up in the air).

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
We have 3 years until all our veteran centers are 34+ and 2 years until McAvoy and Carlo are on to their 2nd year deals. Make some trades and go hard for it. Trim the Hayes and Beleskey fat and get good players with some of our beloved prospects.

Determine which ones you really want and which ones you can let go. Or we will soon be watching a 36 year old Bergeron wondering what could have been and that would make me sad.

:handclap:

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

A one dimensional goal scoring winger, I'd be fine with depending on the cost. Phil Kessel himself and at his current cap hit? No thanks.

I think this idea that EVERY single player on our team needs to be solid defensively is detrimental. Especially if it comes at the cost of offense, we have plenty of great defensive players, if one of the guys on a line is bad at it, it shouldn't matter as much.

Not advocating acquiring Kessel, but getting a one dimensional scorer is fine by me. Hell Frank Vatrano fills that role right now, except he's not scoring that much. (and he costs a fraction of that), but same point. Output costs money. If Vatrano starts putting up numbers, you can bet he'll get a payday, regardless of if his defensive game improves or not. And that's pretty much fact around the league.

One of the Bruins strengths is having great defensive players, they of all teams should be able to afford a one or two one-dimensional guys that are allowed to not worry about their own goalie as much.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I know this wasn't your proposal but ...

How does this help Boston? if anything it's a wash, from Boston's perspective just keep Carlo.

IMO Dumba > Carlo but I would say it's a preference. I think they both bring excellent toolsets to the ice, but I prefer Dumba's aggressive style and his offensive prowess. McAvoy has a lot of Dumba in his game.

I would be just as happy to see the Bruins keep Carlo and let him blossom into the player he'll turn out to be, which is a top 4, new age defensive dman.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
IMO Dumba > Carlo but I would say it's a preference. I think they both bring excellent toolsets to the ice, but I prefer Dumba's aggressive style and his offensive prowess. McAvoy has a lot of Dumba in his game.

I would be just as happy to see the Bruins keep Carlo and let him blossom into the player he'll turn out to be, which is a top 4, new age defensive dman.

Dumba is almost two and a half years older than Carlo. When he was 19/20 he was still in the WHL, and the following season he split time between the AHL and NHL. In two and a half years, with reasonable development, Carlo could be the far superior player.

Don't really see what the point of this trade would be?

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
I personally think we see a new dman here this summer, not sure if it's from Minny or Anh, but we see a top 4 d traded/signed here and then we see Carlo shipped out for a top 6 winger(landeskog, duchene). Gotta give to get. If we could entice Beleskey to Vegas with Spooner or a 1st, a lot of our problems would be solved. Then send Jimmy H to Providence to enjoy his contract year riding buses.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Dumba is almost two and a half years older than Carlo. When he was 19/20 he was still in the WHL, and the following season he split time between the AHL and NHL. In two and a half years, with reasonable development, Carlo could be the far superior player.

Don't really see what the point of this trade would be?

I agree. I support moving Carlo but I think it needs to be in a trade for a clear upgrade, whether at D or forward. Dumba might be better, but as you point out, he may not soon enough.

Now as for acquiring Dumba anyway, I'd love to have him. I would look to give up other assets though and then flip Carlo for a LHD or forward. That makes more sense to me.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Make a lesser deal for Edler and call it a day.

No need to give up a player like Carlo for Dumba or Brodin imo. I do like both those guys for sure but would rather deal Lauzon or Zboril + Prospect (Heinen) + 2017 1st for Dumba or Brodin rather than lose Carlo.

or go for an Edler type player.

Offer Spooner + Subban for Edler

Chara - Carlo
Edler/Brodin - Mcavoy
Krug - K. Miller

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Make a lesser deal for Edler and call it a day.

No need to give up a player like Carlo for Dumba or Brodin imo. I do like both those guys for sure but would rather deal Lauzon or Zboril + Prospect (Heinen) + 2017 1st for Dumba or Brodin rather than lose Carlo.

or go for an Edler type player.

Offer Spooner + Subban for Edler

Chara - Carlo
Edler/Brodin - Mcavoy
Krug - K. Miller

I like this mindset...I think we are one minute eating LD away from having an insanely better D corps than last year...this is assuming both Carlo and McAvoy improve and don't regress.

At 26 it's completely plausible that Krug also has his best years ahead of him which makes our D even that much better going forward.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I personally think we see a new dman here this summer, not sure if it's from Minny or Anh, but we see a top 4 d traded/signed here and then we see Carlo shipped out for a top 6 winger(landeskog, duchene). Gotta give to get. If we could entice Beleskey to Vegas with Spooner or a 1st, a lot of our problems would be solved. Then send Jimmy H to Providence to enjoy his contract year riding buses.

I would be surprised if they traded for one just to move another guy out. So would end up trading all those players plus Carlo for an upgrade a wing. Why not just cut out the middle man and go and get the wing?

I agree they upgrade the defense, and I hope it happens in the next two weeks or so. Doesn't make any sense to protect either Miller if you've got a defense upgrade coming.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
More like 1978 but in Phil's case I have watched him this year, watched him with Malkin and just still see the whiner he was here. Kessel is the kind of player that I can't stand. Any dedication from him and he is dominant and a top ten player but he can't be bothered to care or try. Alex Kovalev, Daigle and a young Jagr also fall into this category.

I by no means am a gym rat anymore, nor a pro hockey player, but if I was a coach and a player laughed at me when I said he should go to the gym because he needs to add strength and endurance to help the team...we'll just say it wouldn't end well.

Kessel has a better ppg average in the playoffs than any of our guys. He's a big time player and I'd take him back on the Bruins any day of the week.

Did you miss where he scored 36 goals for us when he played half the season with a torn labrum?

He may not like the gym, but he's fantastic at hockey, especially when it matters.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Kessel has a better ppg average in the playoffs than any of our guys. He's a big time player and I'd take him back on the Bruins any day of the week.

Did you miss where he scored 36 goals for us when he played half the season with a torn labrum?

He may not like the gym, but he's fantastic at hockey, especially when it matters.

Guy is almost ppg in the playoffs but he supposedly laughed at Clode's suggestion to hit the gym like 8 years ago. So he's no good. :laugh:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

as long as kessel is your foot soldier and not your leader he is fine. on the ice, hes very talented even though he doesnt work hard. his god given gifts allow him to succeed

as a foot soldier he is a weapon... break glass for offense... and he scores just as well at playoffs

but as a leader hes the type of guy that will tell reporters hes going fishing on the day his team is elliminated from playoffs. on pittsburg hes their 3rd best player and thus not the leader... it works. im not sure it would work here

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
as long as kessel is your foot soldier and not your leader he is fine. on the ice, hes very talented even though he doesnt work hard. his god given gifts allow him to succeed

as a foot soldier he is a weapon... break glass for offense... and he scores just as well at playoffs

but as a leader hes the type of guy that will tell reporters hes going fishing on the day his team is elliminated from playoffs. on pittsburg hes their 3rd best player and thus not the leader... it works. im not sure it would work here

He'd be the Bruins' fourth best forward.

I'm sure it would have worked here. I'm sure it would work here.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Not at all in favor of trading Carlo. All I hear is defenseman take longer to develop than forwards. We have a 20 year old who has already played a season on a top pair, doing better than anyone could have expected, contributed more offense than expected and people want to trade him?

For a forward, when our forward prospect depth is probably the best its ever been...DeBrusk and Heinen are probably ready.... thats 2....everyone says we won't play 3 rookie forwards. Fine, bring in two this year and see who is ready next year.

Not interested in bringing in someone to block our kids. Seems like people love the forward prospects, overrate them in trade value, but when it comes time to play them....not good enough.

Toronto played a bunch of kids this year....and look how much better they got.

Also the thought is that not all the kids will make it....give them a chance and let it filter out....but I want to keep a D corp starting with Carlo and MacAvoy....what team in the league would want to give that up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->