Proposal: What Should the Bruins do this Summer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2advanced4u

Jun 15, 2016
Every playoff loss is usually accompanied by fans and radio hosts demanding big money players to be traded, especially in a town like Boston. However, after some time to reflect on the loss to the Senators I’ve decided that the Bruins don’t need to blow it up or make any earth-shattering moves. I think it would have been a very different series with Krug, Carlo and a healthy Bergeron (who played the whole year with a sports hernia). On top of that, trades involving upwards of 6 million in salary are rare. With that in mind, I made this off-season game plan as realistic as possible. All the moves I made are plausible considering the front office’s past decisions. It’s more likely that the NHLPA will choose to use the escalator, but I worked off of the assumption that the cap will stay flat just to keep my decision making as conservative as possible...... read more here -> https://puckstuff.net/2017/04/26/what-the-bruins-should-do-this-summer/

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Every playoff loss is usually accompanied by fans and radio hosts demanding big money players to be traded, especially in a town like Boston. However, after some time to reflect on the loss to the Senators I’ve decided that the Bruins don’t need to blow it up or make any earth-shattering moves. I think it would have been a very different series with Krug, Carlo and a healthy Bergeron (who played the whole year with a sports hernia). On top of that, trades involving upwards of 6 million in salary are rare. With that in mind, I made this off-season game plan as realistic as possible. All the moves I made are plausible considering the front office’s past decisions. It’s more likely that the NHLPA will choose to use the escalator, but I worked off of the assumption that the cap will stay flat just to keep my decision making as conservative as possible...... read more here -> https://puckstuff.net/2017/04/26/what-the-bruins-should-do-this-summer/

Good article but I'll be stunned if they do not protect Kevan Miller

Don't see Justin Williams

Dominic Moore was a key component of a top rated PK abc for one year while JFK and Kuraly break in

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010

Good article but I have a few comments. No way Riley Nash should be centering our 3rd line. Kevin Miller will be back with the Bruins next year and no to Justin Williams, B's need to get younger and faster, not older and slower.

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland

While that does look plausible in many ways, I do not think that is the direction of what Sweeney is looking to build. I agree with all of the players you thought would be leaving and that Beleskey will be back, except switch the Millers.

From a backup goalie perspective if you want me to choose McIntyre of Subban for anything I would pick McIntyre 99 times out of 100. Subban is extremely streaky as in either lights-out or pull him after 5 shots.

From a free agency perspective, I can see several rookies getting a legitimate shot at the roster after being seasoned properly.If they think Senyshen or Heinen are ready they can slot into the Bergeron line, but look at Patrick Eaves who had a career-high 32 goals this year on a 1-2 year contract for 3-4mil, or a top 6 RW off of the trade of Spooner.

My lines look something like this:
Marchand- Bergeron-XXXXXXX
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pasta
Belesky-Backes-Kuraly
Accari-Nash-Cehlarik

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Wondering if the Bruins would target Nick Bonino for 3rd line C?

With the success he's had... he's gonna be getting a $$$ day. Buyer beware. He's playing with Kessel and Hornqvist. Here he'd be playing with... ? Yea, no one as talented.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I would not mind Justin Williams at all as long as it is for 2 years max and the salary is between $2.5-3M max, anymore and I pass on that. That would not have to be the only move though as I would see Williams as a 3rd line winger, we would still need to find another top 6 forward and maybe even try to move Krejci and upgrade his position with someone like Duchene maybe.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
Sweeney did a good job this year in finding cheap veterans on short term deals to compensate for the signings/acquisitions of underperforming expensive veterans with term.

I hope he takes the same approach this year. The Backes and Beleskey contracts are going to hurt for a number more years. As will Krejci's.

They just need those cheap veterans to supplement the roster during this youth movement phase. So much talent coming up through the system. They'll need the cap room to sign those guys as the come off their ELCs.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Third line should be Kuraly-Backes-Accari IMO. They worked very well together.

Defense is still thin even with the emergence of Carlo & McAvoy. Let's face it the defense overachieved spectacularly during the playoffs and it would be foolish to believe they can maintain that level over an 82 game season. I'd like to see the Bruins do something here. What do the UFA defensemen look like this year?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

Defense is still thin even with the emergence of Carlo & McAvoy. Let's face it the defense overachieved spectacularly during the playoffs and it would be foolish to believe they can maintain that level over an 82 game season. I'd like to see the Bruins do something here. What do the UFA defensemen look like this year?

Karl alzner
Kevin shattenkirk
Del zotto
Kulikov
Stone

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Karl alzner
Kevin shattenkirk
Del zotto
Kulikov
Stone

Disagree, D will be quite good next year with Chara, Krug, Carlo, MacAvoy and K. Miller locked into 5 spots, there will be healthy competition for that last spot.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

I think that's unnecessarily pessimistic

They overachieved in spite of being without Krug and Carlo and Macquid , and Miller for a game

They did that because they're capable of it. With a full offseason, and guys slotting back in, these other "overachievers" will be put into a role that suits them better.

If anything, our defense will be underrated by pundits going into next season

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I think that's unnecessarily pessimistic

They overachieved in spite of being without Krug and Carlo and Macquid , and Miller for a game

They did that because they're capable of it. With a full offseason, and guys slotting back in, these other "overachievers" will be put into a role that suits them better.

If anything, our defense will be underrated by pundits going into next season

I'm a Bruins fan, pessimism is in my fan DNA ;)

I'm thinking in terms of injury too. On paper the defense looks quite promising but one blown knee or concussion will change that.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Disagree, D will be quite good next year with Chara, Krug, Carlo, MacAvoy and K. Miller locked into 5 spots, there will be healthy competition for that last spot.

Maybe. There is the potential sophomore slump (Carlo) and the rookie wall (McAvoy) to consider, not to mention injuries which is what I really worry about. The Bruins got away with icing a defense held together by medical tape & guts for a couple of games but that is not a recipe for long term success.

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Maybe. There is the potential sophomore slump (Carlo) and the rookie wall (McAvoy) to consider, not to mention injuries which is what I really worry about. The Bruins got away with icing a defense held together by medical tape & guts for a couple of games but that is not a recipe for long term success.

They may not be perfect but there is depth down into Providence that can fill in. For the forwards if we lose 1 of 5 guys we are a one line team. We have zero depth on the roster to the point where I feel like there is a decent chance Spooner comes back just so we have someone with skill in the bottom 6. Right now our group of forwards is looking terrible for next year. Hopefully we can pick up a top 6 forward, Beleskey can really bounce back, and a couple of kids like Vatrano and Debrusk or Cehlarik can come in and establish themselves as NHL players. Right now we have 5 guys I would feel comfortable in my top 9 and a bunch of really good 4th liners.

I would be even ok with putting someone like Kuraly in the top 9 or Acciari if we can find 2 more guys that can be productive.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
While that does look plausible in many ways, I do not think that is the direction of what Sweeney is looking to build. I agree with all of the players you thought would be leaving and that Beleskey will be back, except switch the Millers.

From a backup goalie perspective if you want me to choose McIntyre of Subban for anything I would pick McIntyre 99 times out of 100. Subban is extremely streaky as in either lights-out or pull him after 5 shots.

From a free agency perspective, I can see several rookies getting a legitimate shot at the roster after being seasoned properly.If they think Senyshen or Heinen are ready they can slot into the Bergeron line, but look at Patrick Eaves who had a career-high 32 goals this year on a 1-2 year contract for 3-4mil, or a top 6 RW off of the trade of Spooner.

My lines look something like this:
Marchand- Bergeron-XXXXXXX
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pasta
Belesky-Backes-Kuraly
Accari-Nash-Cehlarik

I like Backes centering a 3rd line with some snarl. I'd love to get
Jakob Silfverberg to put with Marchand/Bergeron. I'd give up 2 decent prospects to do it. Heinen and Lauzon??

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Karl alzner
Kevin shattenkirk
Del zotto
Kulikov
Stone

Hmmmm...not many to choose from is there? :help:

Shattenkirk will probably want a ton of money & term and he'll probably get it just not from the Bruins. I remember Del Zotto when he played for the Rangers a few years ago, he was all right. Don't know anything about the other two.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Sweeney did a good job this year in finding cheap veterans on short term deals to compensate for the signings/acquisitions of underperforming expensive veterans with term.

I hope he takes the same approach this year. The Backes and Beleskey contracts are going to hurt for a number more years. As will Krejci's.

They just need those cheap veterans to supplement the roster during this youth movement phase. So much talent coming up through the system. They'll need the cap room to sign those guys as the come off their ELCs.

Sweeney did a great job signing cheap vets to short term deals because the team he envisions is in Juniors or the AHL right now.

Marchand Bergeron Backes
Beleksey Krejci Pasta
JFK/Vatrano
Acciari/Kuraly/Cheap vet

Chara Carlo
K Miller McAvoy
Krug XXX
Zboril/O'Gara/Lauzon

Rask
XXX

Thats what I envision for the beginning of next year. Assuming we can't trade Beleksey, I see one spot open (maybe 2, depending on the 4th line) for one of Debrusk/Senyshyn/Heinen/Bjork?.

I want competition, and I think a select few open spots gives us that.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Are you "2advancedforus" because you don't use paragraphs? Just kidding

Nice article.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
2LW
3C
2LHD

Bruins needs in that order to me

Landeskog might be the target on the left, I think Marleau is a UFA too?

Probably have JFK in there on the 3rd line C with the option to put Backes on the dot if needed

Trevor Daley a UFA I believe for your L handed shot on D or Brendan Smith?

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
Didn't see Schaller's name mentioned. Don't know about others but he impressed me. Either he or Kuraly could be the 4th C if Backes fills the #3 spot. Either could be a #3 LW also. IMO what we really need is a 1st pairing, defensive playing LD. Chara was great but has slowed down to much. He would be great as a 2nd pairing guy but is a step or 2 to slow for the 1st spot.

Marchand - Bergeron - TBD
(TBD from Krejci trade)
Vatrano - Krejci - Pastrnak
(Trade Krejci if possible)
Schaller - Backes - Acciari
(If Backes moves up, so does Pastrnak and TBD drops down)
Kuraly - JFK - Nash

TBD - McAvoy
Chara - Carlo
Lauzon/Zboril - McQuaid/K. Miller

Rask
McIntyre

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Didn't see Schaller's name mentioned. Don't know about others but he impressed me. Either he or Kuraly could be the 4th C if Backes fills the #3 spot. Either could be a #3 LW also. IMO what we really need is a 1st pairing, defensive playing LD. Chara was great but has slowed down to much. He would be great as a 2nd pairing guy but is a step or 2 to slow for the 1st spot.

Marchand - Bergeron - TBD
(TBD from Krejci trade)
Vatrano - Krejci - Pastrnak
(Trade Krejci if possible)
Schaller - Backes - Acciari
(If Backes moves up, so does Pastrnak and TBD drops down)
Kuraly - JFK - Nash

TBD - McAvoy
Chara - Carlo
Lauzon/Zboril - McQuaid/K. Miller

Rask
McIntyre

Where's Krug?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad