Proposal: What Should the Bruins do this Summer? II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I think it is because prospect development requires at least 3 years to start seeing dividends. Not getting any better the past 2 years equals failure to some people.

Those people have probably have not been to PBruins games to see the whole change in culture the past three years.

I'm all for what they are doing but I wouldn't get on fans that want to win now. I would love to add another top 6 forward to this current group like Landeskog if possible. And if that means trading away 2-3 kids then so be it. He's young and on a good deal. You need to build a second tier of leadership and he would be a great start added to younger guys like Krug, Pasta and even Marchand.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
A couple of points....

- Sweeney has been very active in both summers he's been the GM. He's dealt Lucic, Hamilton, and Jones, picked up Beleskey, Hayes, Rinaldo, Backes, Moore, Nash, Schaller. We can banter about the quality of some of those guys, but he's never really sat out a summer.

- The plan has been pretty simple and Sweeney has been very open about it. They want to stay competitive with his veteran core that are good enough to be a playoff contender while building via the draft and slowly infusing the lineup with the youth and all that they bring ( ELC's, speed, talent, etc etc ).

- The future is coming sooner than a lot of us projected. Sweeney plucked JFK, McAvoy, and Bjork out of school early, a few of the other kids are close to cracking the lineup on opening night ( O'Gara, DeBrusk, Heinen, Cehlarik ).

- Right now, I see the plan hitting a crossroads before they go all in with their projected course and Sweeney acknowledged this too. Do they trade some of the better prospects/picks to accelerate the process of adding proven young talent in the lineup now via a trade or do they stay true to their believe in their scouting department?

The bolded have all been garbage deals and have put this team behind. I've said it before, but the plan has never been very clear to me. If you were trying to stay competitive with this core, and build for the future, you don't give up 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th rounders at the TDL two seasons ago and you move Eriksson. They should've kept the guy with top 4 upside protected and not the bottom pairing 30 year old.

I agree also that they're at a crossroads. I would've went more or less all in for Brodin because of his age and fit with this team. Whatever the asking price was, it should've been paid; assuming of course it wasn't McAvoy or Carlo because that doesn't make any sense.

Been thinking, if we can't get Fowler or Brodin, I would consider trying to trade for a couple of up and comers, specifically Nate Schmidt and Jamie Oleksiak, and groom one of them for the #1 LD position. I'd give them both time on the 2nd pairing with stints on the 1st. Not sure at this time what I'd give up for them. Still would rather have Fowler.

I don't think they're getting either, but I think the thought process is right. Go get a guy that you can pair with McAvoy for the very long-term. Don't know too much about Schmidt or Oleksiak.

If you can get Lando without giving up Carlo for the price of 2 of those forwards and a 1st I think you have to do that deal every day of the week. If we haven't closed the book on Backes being productive, you can't on someone like Lando who is locked up to a sweet deal, 25, and a captain. He is exactly what this forward group needs now and in the future.

Agreed. I don't know that I'd go quite all in for Lando, but he's worth the price. The B's simply have too many prospects for the positions they have.

No chance that Colorado accepts that. It's Carlo or McAvoy from Boston or bust. The Avalanche want a top-four defenseman who can play immediately, not a project like Zboril. In any event, I believe that Duchene will be the chip used to get that top-four D in return and that Landeskog remains in Denver.

I'd probably agree. I wouldn't mind Duchene either. Great position versatility.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Yes...and no....
I am hoping that he prioritizes his prospects and trades one or two to get what is needed. I do not think he should have a prospect firesale but just a couple at our strength areas.

Someone smarter than me would know this but we do have limits on how many contracts we can have so we might have to trade some of them to pick up people by free agency of trade.

So you're hoping he does what I said he should and what you've been arguing with me about for 2 days?

vjcsmoke

Jun 29, 2011
1 top 4 defenseman. 1 top 6 winger. We'd be pretty much set. We don't have a lot of holes but we need upgrades. When you plug in those 2 key upgrades, the other players kind of flow into their natural positions.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
The bolded have all been garbage deals and have put this team behind. I've said it before, but the plan has never been very clear to me. If you were trying to stay competitive with this core, and build for the future, you don't give up 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th rounders at the TDL two seasons ago and you move Eriksson. They should've kept the guy with top 4 upside protected and not the bottom pairing 30 year old.

I agree also that they're at a crossroads. I would've went more or less all in for Brodin because of his age and fit with this team. Whatever the asking price was, it should've been paid; assuming of course it wasn't McAvoy or Carlo because that doesn't make any sense.

I don't think they're getting either, but I think the thought process is right. Go get a guy that you can pair with McAvoy for the very long-term. Don't know too much about Schmidt or Oleksiak.

Agreed. I don't know that I'd go quite all in for Lando, but he's worth the price. The B's simply have too many prospects for the positions they have.

I'd probably agree. I wouldn't mind Duchene either. Great position versatility.

I stopped reading after you said the B's should go pretty much all in on Brodin and pay "whatever the asking price was" for a guy that was the Wild's 4th D.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I stopped reading after you said the B's should go pretty much all in on Brodin and pay "whatever the asking price was" for a guy that was the Wild's 4th D.

And he'd likely be the #1 D here? Just because Minnesota has a very good defense, doesn't mean that Brodin is not a good player.

Obviously there's a point I'd stop, and if we had our old prospect lists that were highlighted by Spooner and Koko, I wouldn't be saying that. But we have depth and talent all over the place. I believe it's time to sell some of those assets, while also keeping an eye to the future as Brodin is only 23. He's younger than C. Miller, Morrow, O'Gara, and Grzleyck. He would be a perfect compliment to McAvoy for hopefully the next decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad