Proposal: What Should the Bruins do this Summer? II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I would target a top-6W to play with eith Bergy or Krejci before adding a D.

I'm fine to start the year with this top-7:

Chara
Krug
McAvoy
Carlo
K.Miller
C.Miller/McQuaid
Morrow

Trade Spooner+ for a top-6 W, see if Ari or LV wants Beleskey and give them an asset to free up 3.8M and move Backes to C.

Marchand-Bergy-Pasta
DeBrusk-Krejci-Trade
Vatrano-Backes-Bjork
4th line+13th F= 4 of: JFK/Acciari/Blidh/Heinen/Hayes/Nash/Moore/Schaller/other ELC/UFA

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
K.Miller-McQuaid
Morrow

Rask
backup

C'mon you're smarter than this. A fourth line of never were's never will be's or not ready's. Bjork on the third line with a lazy Vatrano and Backes, who will be in a coma making up for their defensive mistakes by Thanksgiving and DeBrusk and Spooners market trade value on RW on the second line with what will certainly become a pouting Krecji when he figures out what he has around him? Who would that be, what team would possibly give Boston a top 6 W for Spooner?

That team is a "I wanna rebuild like the Penguins and get the first pick" line up. Maybe that is the best move but I don't have any faith in the scouting staff to be able to identify prospects who can play in the NHL, so they will suck to try and get better but then blow the picks that they sucked for and continue to suck.

This team reeks of tweener, not enough good vets to win and too many unproven rookies possibly being counted on, things aren't looking very good on Causeway ST. this off season.

Also to be fair I have no answer outside of firing everybody in the front office and starting over with an established GM who will bring back Bruins hockey. Fast paced, tough and aggressive, not whatever Sweeney and Company are trying to do. So I give you full credit for at least trying to come up with something to make this team relevant.

Riverfront

Jan 5, 2015
don't know what Sweeney see's in riley nash to protect him, that is one guy I would not have
protected, he doesn't bring much to the table, 4th line plug at best, no toughness, not that great of skater, not a speed burner, can't score, can only penalty kill so his contract should be under 1 million per year.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
don't know what Sweeney see's in riley nash to protect him, that is one guy I would not have
protected, he doesn't bring much to the table, 4th line plug at best, no toughness, not that great of skater, not a speed burner, can't score, can only penalty kill so his contract should be under 1 million per year.

Its an easy answer...you hope Vegas takes on a bad contract. (Hayes/Belesky)

The other option was to pick more Dmen...but you dont wanna lose other forwards.

ickie*

Jun 18, 2017
Its an easy answer...you hope Vegas takes on a bad contract. (Hayes/Belesky)

The other option was to pick more Dmen...but you dont wanna lose other forwards.

fluto seems to believe that for vgk to take on beleskey, the price would be kinda steep

ickie*

Jun 18, 2017
Which doesn't surprise me: 3 years left.

If we drop him to the farm...while he still gets paid NHL salary, do we only count $1mill on the cap? (give or take)

i have faith that he'll put up his 35pts this season and that last year was a 'down' year, so i don't mind him sticking around too much. i would just much rather he and hayes be gone because i think at this point they're blocking the likes of heinen, debrusk, bjork potentially

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Which doesn't surprise me: 3 years left.

If we drop him to the farm...while he still gets paid NHL salary, do we only count $1mill on the cap? (give or take)

We only save 1 million, league made sure you couldn't hide Wade Redden's in the minors anymore.

Belesky will bounce back, not worth his contract but he will be ok next year. There are bigger contracts that are not producing that they will never be able to move (Krecji), granted they are stuck with Krecji now because they do not have a top 2 center prospect in the system, this is a need that really needs to be addressed ASAP

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
i have faith that he'll put up his 35pts this season and that last year was a 'down' year, so i don't mind him sticking around too much. i would just much rather he and hayes be gone because i think at this point they're blocking the likes of heinen, debrusk, bjork potentially

I personally think that's asking a lot considering he's only put >35points once in his career.

It'll be tough IMO, we have Debrusk and others knocking on the door...and Cassidy has already proven that he has no issue benching him.

ickie*

Jun 18, 2017
I personally think that's asking a lot considering he's only put >35points once in his career.

It'll be tough IMO, we have Debrusk and others knocking on the door...and Cassidy has already proven that he has no issue benching him.

it was also the first time in his career he'd been deployed in that way and played scoring line mins for the entirety of a season, but you're right. i'd still rather he go than stay, but don't mind him staying as much as i mind hayes staying. i'd love debrusk, heinen, bjork, and jfk to all be on the opening night roster. go young!

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
it was also the first time in his career he'd been deployed in that way and played scoring line mins for the entirety of a season, but you're right. i'd still rather he go than stay, but don't mind him staying as much as i mind hayes staying. i'd love debrusk, heinen, bjork, and jfk to all be on the opening night roster. go young!

Get a first overall pick!!! If those 4 make the opening night roster it will be a long, horrible season.

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017

Personally, I'd rather they make a couple trades to bolster the top 9, and let those 4 guys battle it out for 2 spots, with it possible that the guys who win out of camp, might not even be the ones taking the ice in April or May.

Would also love to see a Landeskog trade and break the top 9 out into 3 pairs (Bergeron/Marchand, Krejci/Pastrnak, Landeskog/Backes) with which you can fill in using the rest of the forwards available (Vatrano, Spooner, and the kids). With the 4th line being filled in with other players like Acciari, Nash, Schaller, etc.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Personally, I'd rather they make a couple trades to bolster the top 9, and let those 4 guys battle it out for 2 spots, with it possible that the guys who win out of camp, might not even be the ones taking the ice in April or May.

Would also love to see a Landeskog trade and break the top 9 out into 3 pairs (Bergeron/Marchand, Krejci/Pastrnak, Landeskog/Backes) with which you can fill in using the rest of the forwards available (Vatrano, Spooner, and the kids). With the 4th line being filled in with other players like Acciari, Nash, Schaller, etc.

Personally I think Spooner/Landy would be a good pair for the top 9, this coming from a guy who would like Spooner moved. But if we get Landy, that changes it for me a little.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Belesky will bounce back, not worth his contract but he will be ok next year. There are bigger contracts that are not producing that they will never be able to move (Krecji), granted they are stuck with Krecji now because they do not have a top 2 center prospect in the system, this is a need that really needs to be addressed ASAP

I hope that you are right about Beleskey, but I am not holding my breath that he will be better. Unfortunately, you are probably right about Boston being stuck with Krejci's contract. However, I think that Trent Frederic can become a #2 center (and JFK a good #3). What's missing is the #1 center prospect. Eichel would be perfect... :naughty:

Get a first overall pick!!! If those 4 make the opening night roster it will be a long, horrible season.

I'm not so sure about that. I, too, wouldn't mind seeing three or four or Debrusk, Heinen, JFK and Bjork in the lineup next season. At the very least, I think that Debrusk and Heinen should be there.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I hope that you are right about Beleskey, but I am not holding my breath that he will be better. Unfortunately, you are probably right about Boston being stuck with Krejci's contract. However, I think that Trent Frederic can become a #2 center (and JFK a good #3). What's missing is the #1 center prospect. Eichel would be perfect... :naughty:

I'm not so sure about that. I, too, wouldn't mind seeing three or four or Debrusk, Heinen, JFK and Bjork in the lineup next season. At the very least, I think that Debrusk and Heinen should be there.

DeBrusk and Heinen are very different from the other two, a year of pro experience and playoff experience and Heinen can play either wing. Both should compete for a bottom 6 roll. Would prefer a veteran top 6 impact player for 2nd line LW.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
C'mon you're smarter than this. A fourth line of never were's never will be's or not ready's. Bjork on the third line with a lazy Vatrano and Backes, who will be in a coma making up for their defensive mistakes by Thanksgiving and DeBrusk and Spooners market trade value on RW on the second line with what will certainly become a pouting Krecji when he figures out what he has around him? Who would that be, what team would possibly give Boston a top 6 W for Spooner?

That team is a "I wanna rebuild like the Penguins and get the first pick" line up. Maybe that is the best move but I don't have any faith in the scouting staff to be able to identify prospects who can play in the NHL, so they will suck to try and get better but then blow the picks that they sucked for and continue to suck.

This team reeks of tweener, not enough good vets to win and too many unproven rookies possibly being counted on, things aren't looking very good on Causeway ST. this off season.

Also to be fair I have no answer outside of firing everybody in the front office and starting over with an established GM who will bring back Bruins hockey. Fast paced, tough and aggressive, not whatever Sweeney and Company are trying to do. So I give you full credit for at least trying to come up with something to make this team relevant.

Be serious. A team with Rask and Bergeron will always be a team that will at least fight for the playoffs if they don't make it. They did last year and they'll be even better this year.

bruins have a great core with Bergy-Rask-Marchand-Pasta-Krejci-Backes-Krug-Chara. Plenty of ELC are ready to step in and contribute. Bruins have also plenty of assets to get a top-6W to go along Krejci or Bergy.

There is much more chance that the lineup I listed would win the division than get the #1 pick.

A 09-14 run is upon us. This is a great time to be a Bruins fan.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Be serious. A team with Rask and Bergeron will always be a team that will at least fight for the playoffs if they don't make it. They did last year and they'll be even better this year.

bruins have a great core with Bergy-Rask-Marchand-Pasta-Krejci-Backes-Krug-Chara. Plenty of ELC are ready to step in and contribute. Bruins have also plenty of assets to get a top-6W to go along Krejci or Bergy.

There is much more chance that the lineup I listed would win the division than get the #1 pick.

09-10 meaning 6th seed? No way this team is the ''09 116 pt version.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Devil's advocate:

The core is far from "great". Krejci is basically cooked. Best case an offensive enigma who clearly can't carry a line by himself. Backes was on the back 9 the day they signed him and is a 50-point max guy with "leadership and toughness" for $6M per annum. Chara is still effective but certainly not realistic to expect top pair effectiveness anymore, let alone beyond this coming year.

They have ELC guys ready to step in, but any aside from McAvoy and maybe Carlo ready to be "good"? Like 25+ goal good, or top 4 minutes good? Seems like a stretch for this year.

Not sure I take these Devil's Advocate positions myself, but I am wary of the fact we have a disconnect between when some of these prospects may be actually GOOD and when our "core" will be too old. The GM has work to do to bridge that gap in years, and that's the exact part of the job he has sucked at to date. So it all comes down to your quote "Bruins have also plenty of assets to get a top-6W to go along Krejci or Bergy.". You're right that he seems to have the assets. The question is whether he has the desire or ability to close deals and whether he closes the right ones. So far we have every reason to be highly skeptical.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

The 09 team had very few rookies on it and none in important rolls. They had a young Bergeron and Krecji as centers and had built as much through free agency and trade as the draft. Mark Recchi, Marco Sturm, Michael Ryder and Blake Wheeler on the top 2 lines, Milan Lucic and Shawn Thornton for toughness, Mark Stuart and Adam McQuaid on D (like Miller and McQuaid).

The cup core was in place not question marks like Senyshyn, JFK, DeBrusk, Bjork, Heinen. A few moves needed to be made the next couple seasons to really go for the cup but the core was there. I don't believe the current group of prospects is anywhere near as good as that core.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household

Not a popular opinion, but I want him to stay.

He was a night-and-day different player last season than he was the year before. I don't mind a smaller point output if we had that energetic forechecking Ass-kicker back from 2015-16.

Overpaid? Yup. Just doesn't bother me like it does with other guys, because he was one of the few who really gave a **** in a **** year. I'm willing to give a mulligan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad