Proposal: What Should the Bruins do this Summer? II

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
As a "get Brodin" proponent, I hate that I am hanging onto the words of a Haggs article.

Regarding Krug being on the third pairing...

You are still going to get Krug his 20 mins. STL did it for years with Shattenkirk on the third pairing. Krug is a high end second pairing offensive D. Having Carlo and McAvoy on ELCs provides you the luxury of having a 3rd pairing good enough (finally!) to cut down on Chara's mins. In reality, BrodinMcAvoy and Krug/McMillers would be a 2A and 2B set of pairings. But, unless MIN is looking for minimal cap dollars back in a deal (possible), MIN can do better elsewhere.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
As a "get Brodin" proponent, I hate that I am hanging onto the words of a Haggs article.

Regarding Krug being on the third pairing...

You are still going to get Krug his 20 mins. STL did it for years with Shattenkirk on the third pairing. Krug is a high end second pairing offensive D. Having Carlo and McAvoy on ELCs provides you the luxury of having a 3rd pairing good enough (finally!) to cut down on Chara's mins. In reality, BrodinMcAvoy and Krug/McMillers would be a 2A and 2B set of pairings. But, unless MIN is looking for minimal cap dollars back in a deal (possible), MIN can do better elsewhere.

What's the Haggs article you're referencing?

And yes I agree. Who cares what the pairing is listing as? Everyone in that hypothetical line-up would likely play pretty even minutes. Great for match-ups and great for everyone involved.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
We should go after jumbo Joe. He'd be our #2 center and puts Kreiji in a position to to dominate.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I've wanted Brodin for some time.

Brodin plays with McAvoy, Krug with Carlo regularly but can pair them together when you want to shut down the games/ certain line.
2 high end shutdown D-men in the playoffs isn't bad.

1st+ forward prospect. Minny's forward group needs more talent.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
Brodin would be an awesome target for the Bruins, especially given Minnesota's situation, but it all comes down to price.

The Bruins already have a relatively established top 4 heading into next year, and Brodin's minutes have gone way down the last two years (though the Wild's collection of D is probably a good part of that) to the point where he's firmly a middle pair D. That's not to say he wouldn't be a great addition with his position/style and contract, but with what the Bruins already have in the pipeline, he's certainly not a necessity, even with Chara declining with age.

Moving the first is a bit of a gamble, as it's still possible a good C slips to where the Bruins pick...which is more of a need than Brodin. If they can get it done with a D/wing prospect and an early-round pick (Zboril/Heinen + 2nd?), then I'm all for it. But the Frederic+1st or Hamilton-return like deals that were being tossed around on the trade board? Too rich IMO.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I've wanted Brodin for some time.

Brodin plays with McAvoy, Krug with Carlo regularly but can pair them together when you want to shut down the games/ certain line.
2 high end shutdown D-men in the playoffs isn't bad.

1st+ forward prospect. Minny's forward group needs more talent.

After reading how Suter acted towards Brodin I felt bad for him.

We've seen players respond to coaching changes (Crosby to Sullivan), teams to coaching changes (the current Bruins) and hundreds of players moving to new teams like Neely.

I see the forward more along lines of a Czarnik not DeBrusk, Bjork, Heinen, or Gabrielle

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Brodin would be an awesome target for the Bruins, especially given Minnesota's situation, but it all comes down to price.

The Bruins already have a relatively established top 4 heading into next year, and Brodin's minutes have gone way down the last two years (though the Wild's collection of D is probably a good part of that) to the point where he's firmly a middle pair D. That's not to say he wouldn't be a great addition with his position/style and contract, but with what the Bruins already have in the pipeline, he's certainly not a necessity, even with Chara declining with age.

Moving the first is a bit of a gamble, as it's still possible a good C slips to where the Bruins pick...which is more of a need than Brodin. If they can get it done with a D/wing prospect and an early-round pick (Zboril/Heinen + 2nd?), then I'm all for it. But the Frederic+1st or Hamilton-return like deals that were being tossed around on the trade board? Too rich IMO.

Minnesota dealing from multiple weaknesses - expansion issues and no picks in first two rounds

I don't see much more than 18 required

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
new thread... more time to think about all the possibilities... trying to pay attention to what other teams are doing... keep an eye on the cap management... try to keep my personal bias out of it... heres what my gut says they WILL do

1/ before expansion trade c miller/ spooner maybe subban and vatrano... this takes away vegas cheap options in expansion and lets us loose a bigger contract. coming in i believe will be a left hand shot dman we like in our top 4... i will say calvin dehaan simply because islanders cant protect him without making other moves and hes a rfa

2/ dmen protected chara/krug/new guy... left exposed k miller/mcquaid

3/ at entry draft i hope calen foote the big right hand shot dman drops to us

4/ in free agency, i ses iginla signing... morrow and schaller being back... dominec moore let go

5/ contract for pastrnak around 6x6.5... calvin dehaan at around brodin money 5x 4.5 everyone else getting minimum raises

5/ the lineup i expect to go into next season

pastrnak/bergeron/marchand our 20 million dollar line
iginla/krejci/kid A krecji plays slow so iginla can keep up
hayes/backes/kid B lets hope hayes puts in an effort for contract year
accari/nash/belesky lets hope belesky is healthy and in shape
schaller/kid C schaller is a good utility player

im leaving room for 3 kids... im going to predict debrusk edges bjork for krejci line... kuraly gets the backes line... czarik is the 12th forward

carlo/chara
mcavoy/dehaan
mcquaid/krug
morrow

no im not saying krug sucks... just how i see the mins bring doled out this year

rask
khudobin

mcintyre might win backup job

this linup takes us right up against the cap. people wont be happy i have hayes, nash, belesky back... or that i have both millers gone...

i see potential this team can contend. next year when iginla/hayes are gone we have bjork/senshyn ... if chara leaves we have ogara/zboril/lauzon... when nash leaves we have jfk

we are set up for a seamless transition.

i personally might want to make bigger moves but with the cap concerns and the kids in the pipeline, this is what i most likely see happening

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
After reading how Suter acted towards Brodin I felt bad for him.

We've seen players respond to coaching changes (Crosby to Sullivan), teams to coaching changes (the current Bruins) and hundreds of players moving to new teams like Neely.

I see the forward more along lines of a Czarnik not DeBrusk, Bjork, Heinen, or Gabrielle

You mean Czarnik+1st for Brodin?

If so I don't know if that's the best offer they would get. They need a star forward, which they won't get from Brodin trade but the minimun target I see is someone with top6 potential.

I think we should target Cogliano and Manson from the Ducks. Start with Spooner a first and one of Grez or Morrow.

Anaheim isn't moving Manson, you'd have to seriously overpay to get them even listening and I would target an LD.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
You mean Czarnik+1st for Brodin?

If so I don't know if that's the best offer they would get. They need a star forward, which they won't get from Brodin trade but the minimun target I see is someone with top6 potential.

Anaheim isn't moving Manson, you'd have to seriously overpay to get them even listening and I would target an LD.

agreed on both accounts. there might be 3 fairly good dmen moving in june... cost for all 3 is more than a first and a waiver wire caliber forward

minny will loose 2 dmen and might like colin miller back? first and c miller might be a competitive offer

as for manson, hes young and good and cheap. anaheim keeps him, fowler, lindholm... adds theodore and montadore... still has couple vets hanging around

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Minnesota dealing from multiple weaknesses - expansion issues and no picks in first two rounds

Why would the Bruins use a 1st on a guy that they'll need to protect in the expansion draft, given that it would likely mean another guy is left exposed or dealt before hand etc?

Unless Quaider or one of the Millers are bringing something else back solid, the 7/3/1 or 8/1 list would have another guy exposed etc. I'm sticking with 7/3/1 given five top forwards , not including Spooner, will need to be protected.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I'm definitely in the sign Iginla on the cheap train.

That would make of a perfect concoction of veterans and rookies as well as speed and grit.

Marchand/Bergeron/Vatrano
DeBrusk/Krejci/Pastrnak
Bjork/Backes/Iginla
Beleskey/Nash/Acciari

Brodin/McAvoy
Chara/Carlo
Krug/Kevan

Every player on this roster is capable of playing up in the lineup if need be.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why would the Bruins use a 1st on a guy that they'll need to protect in the expansion draft, given that it would likely mean another guy is left exposed or dealt before hand etc?

Unless Quaider or one of the Millers are bringing something else back solid, the 7/3/1 or 8/1 list would have another guy exposed etc. I'm sticking with 7/3/1 given five top forwards , not including Spooner, will need to be protected.

Well you have to factor that in.

Realistically the deal becomes

#18 + Killer + (whatever else)
for
Brodin + McQuaid

given that we end up losing Killer, instead of McQuaid to the expansion draft

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA

I'd really prefer they hang on to 18 until we see how the draft starts playing out, but if you're indeed correct in it not taking much of an addition to get him, that's probably a good move.

I'm not sure it'll come that cheaply though. We have to remember, if the Wild do trade one of Brodin/Scandella/Dumba, that still means Vegas will likely take whichever of the other two is left exposed...whatever deal is made will still have to be enough to make it worthwhile for the Wild to lose two defensemen.

I think it'd be worthwhile for the Wild to do it as long as the deal is at least as valuable as the other defenseman they'd lose...I'm not sure, say, Czarnik + 18 is enough for Dumba, so it'd probably cost more.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Well you have to factor that in.

Realistically the deal becomes

#18 + Killer + (whatever else)
for
Brodin + McQuaid

given that we end up losing Killer, instead of McQuaid to the expansion draft

I've thought about something very similar and Spooner's name screams at me.
That said, to me it is very pricey just to keep whom we want in expansion and get Brodin.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA

I don't think it really changes anything. They'd be acquiring an ~#3D at less than market value, and exposing another #5/#6D for which we already have multiple replacements. It's not even a consensus around here who to protect as the 3rd D anyways, so moving assets to acquire someone worth protecting is definitely an easy call IMO.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Spooner, 1st, B prospect and future considerations for Brodin.

Minnesota will expose Staal and Spooner, but Vegas likely selects Staal.

Future considerations are: Minnesota gets to select one of McQuaid, K. Miller, or C. Miller (1 of the 2 not selected by Vegas) for a mid - late round pick.

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Brodin - Remaining RHD
Morrow

Thoughts?

(are these type of future considerations allowed?)

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Spooner, 1st, B prospect and future considerations for Brodin.

In my opinion, which is worthless, I think for any Brodin deal to occur, the Bruins would likely need to make two separate trades. One with MIN and one with VGK[expansion selection agreement]. MIN gets the pick for Brodin, VGK get Spooner and whomever the Bruins-VGK agree to etc.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
In my opinion, which is worthless, I think for any Brodin deal to occur, the Bruins would likely need to make two separate trades. One with MIN and one with VGK[expansion selection agreement]. MIN gets the pick for Brodin, VGK get Spooner and whomever the Bruins-VGK agree to etc.

Interesting

So you are suggesting Boston gets Brodin

Spooner goes to Minny, and then to LV as their pick

Boston pays LV with whatever they lose, and maybe a pick or a prospect

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
i just went through cap friendly roster tool

giving pastrnak 6.5... adding a 4.5 dman... giving spooner away... being stuck with belesky but burying hayes in ahl...and keeping one of mcquaid/killer (losing one to expansion)

our cap hit is nearly 75 million

all these bold roster plans of adding huge contracts need to include money going out. its not as simple as waiving a magic wand and someone takes belesky or even hayes. moving krejci would give us room, but he is a nmc. and we need replacement.

i see NO WAY we can keep salary eligible spooner. adding any 4 mill dman will require at minimum one of killer/mcquaid go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad