Proposal: What Should the Bruins do this Summer? II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ickie*

Jun 18, 2017
Depending on how things go, would anyone really be apposed to dealing Vatrano?

Especially if we acquire a legit top 6 forward.

not for the right price. i'd personally rather see cehlarik in his minutes. he's pretty limited in terms of what he brings. the athleticism just isn't there for him to contribute much more than a few snipes every now and then. michael ryder type of ceiling it seems like.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Not a popular opinion, but I want him to stay.

He was a night-and-day different player last season than he was the year before. I don't mind a smaller point output if we had that energetic forechecking Ass-kicker back from 2015-16.

Overpaid? Yup. Just doesn't bother me like it does with other guys, because he was one of the few who really gave a **** in a **** year. I'm willing to give a mulligan.

So my next question is: What type of role do you see him succeeding at?

IMO, if he's not scoring...he's pretty much invisible most night. I feel he's too small to be on the 3rd line.

I personally don't think he has ability to being an effective grinder........I could be wrong though.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
IF Sweeney is in fact trying to upgrade this roster through trade, then this is a result that doesn't surprise me in the least. Just seems like he's a prospect-first guy, a player development guy. Seems likely to fall in love with his prospects and eager to keep his draft picks. Also obviously doesn't feel like a closer.

Similarly it feels like a "window of competition" is completely indiscernible. Does he actually see a deep playoff run with this roster? Assuming not, what's missing and when/where does he add it from? Summer time is the time for any meaningful deals, so if he sits out the summer again we can conclude he either likes this roster or isn't foreseeing that this is a "run" year, right? If that, did he take this job and install a 5+ year plan? With keeping Chara, Bergeron, Krejci, even Marchand?

So this is why I keep asking if anyone can tell me the plan.

A couple of points....

- Sweeney has been very active in both summers he's been the GM. He's dealt Lucic, Hamilton, and Jones, picked up Beleskey, Hayes, Rinaldo, Backes, Moore, Nash, Schaller. We can banter about the quality of some of those guys, but he's never really sat out a summer.

- The plan has been pretty simple and Sweeney has been very open about it. They want to stay competitive with his veteran core that are good enough to be a playoff contender while building via the draft and slowly infusing the lineup with the youth and all that they bring ( ELC's, speed, talent, etc etc ).

- The future is coming sooner than a lot of us projected. Sweeney plucked JFK, McAvoy, and Bjork out of school early, a few of the other kids are close to cracking the lineup on opening night ( O'Gara, DeBrusk, Heinen, Cehlarik ).

- Right now, I see the plan hitting a crossroads before they go all in with their projected course and Sweeney acknowledged this too. Do they trade some of the better prospects/picks to accelerate the process of adding proven young talent in the lineup now via a trade or do they stay true to their believe in their scouting department?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
A couple of points....

- Sweeney has been very active in both summers he's been the GM. He's dealt Lucic, Hamilton, and Jones, picked up Beleskey, Hayes, Rinaldo, Backes, Moore, Nash, Schaller. We can banter about the quality of some of those guys, but he's never really sat out a summer.

- The plan has been pretty simple and Sweeney has been very open about it. They want to stay competitive with his veteran core that are good enough to be a playoff contender while building via the draft and slowly infusing the lineup with the youth and all that they bring ( ELC's, speed, talent, etc etc ).

- The future is coming sooner than a lot of us projected. Sweeney plucked JFK, McAvoy, and Bjork out of school early, a few of the other kids are close to cracking the lineup on opening night ( O'Gara, DeBrusk, Heinen, Cehlarik ).

- Right now, I see the plan hitting a crossroads before they go all in with their projected course and Sweeney acknowledged this too. Do they trade some of the better prospects/picks to accelerate the process of adding proven young talent in the lineup now via a trade or do they stay true to their believe in their scouting department?

You have to trade some. There is nothing worse than holding on to a prospect a year too long and have him have no value. These guys aren't at that point yet, but you need to look at your prospects, make a firm decision which one's you build around and trade the others for pieces that fit now and the immediate future. It's a tough thing and to be honest it seems that league wide GM's are afraid to be "that guy" who trades the next great young player.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
Been thinking, if we can't get Fowler or Brodin, I would consider trying to trade for a couple of up and comers, specifically Nate Schmidt and Jamie Oleksiak, and groom one of them for the #1 LD position. I'd give them both time on the 2nd pairing with stints on the 1st. Not sure at this time what I'd give up for them. Still would rather have Fowler.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
A couple of points....

But why trading a few (not all) prospects/picks for a young established NHLer (à la Landeskog) is a deviation from the plan of building through drafting and developping?
Can't we have a middle ground here?

Ideally, Sweeney will trade some of his numerous prized prospects. Right now, he should be on the lookout for any opportunity to acquire one or two young veterans.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
But why trading a few (not all) prospects/picks for a young established NHLer (à la Landeskog) is a deviation from the plan of building through drafting and developping?
Can't we have a middle ground here?

Ideally, Sweeney will trade some of his numerous prized prospects. Right now, he should be on the lookout for any opportunity to acquire one or two young veterans.

It's not a true deviation but it does signal a different course of direction because of the cap. You hope to hit on some of these kids to help out the current core on the ice with their talents and off the ice with their ELC's. Getting a proven, still young talent like Landeskog means having to take in his cap hit as well, something you wouldn't have to worry about for 3+ years with some of these kids ( all depending on how they progress, which is why I included the + ).

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It's not a true deviation but it does signal a different course of direction because of the cap. You hope to hit on some of these kids to help out the current core on the ice with their talents and off the ice with their ELC's. Getting a proven, still young talent like Landeskog means having to take in his cap hit as well, something you wouldn't have to worry about for 3+ years with some of these kids ( all depending on how they progress, which is why I included the + ).

If you can get Lando without giving up Carlo for the price of 2 of those forwards and a 1st I think you have to do that deal every day of the week. If we haven't closed the book on Backes being productive, you can't on someone like Lando who is locked up to a sweet deal, 25, and a captain. He is exactly what this forward group needs now and in the future.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
If you can get Lando without giving up Carlo for the price of 2 of those forwards and a 1st I think you have to do that deal every day of the week. If we haven't closed the book on Backes being productive, you can't on someone like Lando who is locked up to a sweet deal, 25, and a captain. He is exactly what this forward group needs now and in the future.

I'd like to get Lando too but it's going to be tough since we're crossing out Colorado's two favorite targets ( Carlo, McAvoy ). Sweeney and Sakic have already played this game of chicken for months and neither blinked.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

You can get Landeskog without Carlo because 18 should have a defenseman Colorado likes

But you are giving up at least 2 prospects likely a Heinen and/or Gabrielle and/or defenseman like Zboril/Lauzon

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017
You can get Landeskog without Carlo because 18 should have a defenseman Colorado likes

But you are giving up at least 2 prospects likely a Heinen and/or Gabrielle and/or defenseman like Zboril/Lauzon

Done. Schedule the press conference.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Been thinking, if we can't get Fowler or Brodin, I would consider trying to trade for a couple of up and comers, specifically Nate Schmidt and Jamie Oleksiak, and groom one of them for the #1 LD position. I'd give them both time on the 2nd pairing with stints on the 1st. Not sure at this time what I'd give up for them. Still would rather have Fowler.

So you have no confidence that the org. can develop Zboril, Lauzon or Lindgren into a #1 LD? What is it about Oleksiak and Schmidt that you favor?

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006

Dan, I'd be okay with that. And I like all those prospects, have kinda fallen in love with a few who should be available around 18. What do you think the chances are?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So you have no confidence that the org. can develop Zboril, Lauzon or Lindgren into a #1 LD? What is it about Oleksiak and Schmidt that you favor?

I'd be interested in Schmidt, although he is more of a what we wish Morrow was type than a future top pairing D. And Oleksiak is more likely to be a 6/7 than a top pairing guy.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

Fowler is reportedly close to an extension with ANA and Brodin was protected by MIN.

I'm impressed that you managed to get through a post without trading Krug, but Schmidt and Oleksiak? Please tell us what exactly you see in them that makes them top pair material? Krug is far closer to a 1 than either of those two 3rd pair options.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Zboril+Heinen+1st+Beleskey for Landeskog+3rd

No chance that Colorado accepts that. It's Carlo or McAvoy from Boston or bust. The Avalanche want a top-four defenseman who can play immediately, not a project like Zboril. In any event, I believe that Duchene will be the chip used to get that top-four D in return and that Landeskog remains in Denver.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
No chance that Colorado accepts that. It's Carlo or McAvoy from Boston or bust. The Avalanche want a top-four defenseman who can play immediately, not a project like Zboril. In any event, I believe that Duchene will be the chip used to get that top-four D in return and that Landeskog remains in Denver.

They need a top 4 LHD with EJ and Barrie already manning the top two spots on the right side IMO..

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
We only save 1 million, league made sure you couldn't hide Wade Redden's in the minors anymore.

Belesky will bounce back, not worth his contract but he will be ok next year. There are bigger contracts that are not producing that they will never be able to move (Krecji), granted they are stuck with Krecji now because they do not have a top 2 center prospect in the system, this is a need that really needs to be addressed ASAP

You are talking about the same Krecji that tied his career high in goals with garbage (Most of the time) for a LW linemate and coming off of shoulder surgery? Yea...he definitely sounds like he is declining....

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
A couple of points....

Yes...and no....
I am hoping that he prioritizes his prospects and trades one or two to get what is needed. I do not think he should have a prospect firesale but just a couple at our strength areas.

Someone smarter than me would know this but we do have limits on how many contracts we can have so we might have to trade some of them to pick up people by free agency of trade.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Yes...and no....
I am hoping that he prioritizes his prospects and trades one or two to get what is needed. I do not think he should have a prospect firesale but just a couple at our strength areas.

Someone smarter than me would know this but we do have limits on how many contracts we can have so we might have to trade some of them to pick up people by free agency of trade.

The short answer is 50. But there are some specifics within that.

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/inf...t-and-90-player-maximum-reserve-list/c-430807

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
A couple of points....

GM Sweeney has indeed been open about his plan. Not sure why anyone is confused about it. :dunno:

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
GM Sweeney has indeed been open about his plan. Not sure why anyone is confused about it. :dunno:

I think it is because prospect development requires at least 3 years to start seeing dividends. Not getting any better the past 2 years equals failure to some people.

Those people have probably have not been to PBruins games to see the whole change in culture the past three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad