Proposal: What Should the Bruins do this Summer? II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Spooner, 1st, B prospect and future considerations for Brodin.

Minnesota will expose Staal and Spooner, but Vegas likely selects Staal.

Future considerations are: Minnesota gets to select one of McQuaid, K. Miller, or C. Miller (1 of the 2 not selected by Vegas) for a mid - late round pick.

Chara - McAvoy
Krug - Carlo
Brodin - Remaining RHD
Morrow

Thoughts?

(are these type of future considerations allowed?)

just send the dman there ahead of draft... whoever we are sending wont be chosen in expansion.

are you saying you move spooner, colin miller, and first for brodin though? and throw in a prospect too? im a brodin fan and i get accused giving away too much in my own proposals but this feels like too much to me

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Interesting

So you are suggesting Boston gets Brodin

Spooner goes to Minny, and then to LV as their pick

Boston pays LV with whatever they lose, and maybe a pick or a prospect

I almost proposed something like this. Basically a three team deal. 1st or Frederic to Minnesota. Vegas picks Brodin and then gets Spooner, Zboril, and Beleskey from Boston. Edit: They could also select a defenseman from Boston in the expansion draft. Likely either K. Miller or McQ just for a salary thing.

For Minnesota it becomes Brodin for a 1st or Frederic and Scandella.

Can't quite figure it out for Vegas. Think you'd rather just keep the young defenseman, but there are plenty available.

Can't quite get the value right. Also, you could just cut out one of the teams and still make it work.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
new thread... more time to think about all the possibilities... trying to pay attention to what other teams are doing... keep an eye on the cap management... try to keep my personal bias out of it... heres what my gut says they WILL do

1/ before expansion trade c miller/ spooner maybe subban and vatrano... this takes away vegas cheap options in expansion and lets us loose a bigger contract. coming in i believe will be a left hand shot dman we like in our top 4... i will say calvin dehaan simply because islanders cant protect him without making other moves and hes a rfa

2/ dmen protected chara/krug/new guy... left exposed k miller/mcquaid

3/ at entry draft i hope calen foote the big right hand shot dman drops to us

4/ in free agency, i ses iginla signing... morrow and schaller being back... dominec moore let go

5/ contract for pastrnak around 6x6.5... calvin dehaan at around brodin money 5x 4.5 everyone else getting minimum raises

5/ the lineup i expect to go into next season

pastrnak/bergeron/marchand our 20 million dollar line
iginla/krejci/kid A krecji plays slow so iginla can keep up
hayes/backes/kid B lets hope hayes puts in an effort for contract year
accari/nash/belesky lets hope belesky is healthy and in shape
schaller/kid C schaller is a good utility player

im leaving room for 3 kids... im going to predict debrusk edges bjork for krejci line... kuraly gets the backes line... czarik is the 12th forward

carlo/chara
mcavoy/dehaan
mcquaid/krug
morrow

no im not saying krug sucks... just how i see the mins bring doled out this year

rask
khudobin

mcintyre might win backup job

this linup takes us right up against the cap. people wont be happy i have hayes, nash, belesky back... or that i have both millers gone...

i see potential this team can contend. next year when iginla/hayes are gone we have bjork/senshyn ... if chara leaves we have ogara/zboril/lauzon... when nash leaves we have jfk

we are set up for a seamless transition.

i personally might want to make bigger moves but with the cap concerns and the kids in the pipeline, this is what i most likely see happening
Here is my moves

1. Deal Hayes to a team that needs expansion bodies and if need be take back up to half the remaining 1 year contract. Cut your losses

2. Offer Beleskey & Spooner to Vegas for a whatever you can get in a draft pick

They both have value and I expect Beleskey to bounce back to the 2014-16 guy; I'd be willing to keep him here worst case but with DeBrusk, Bjork, Heinen, and Cehlarik all left shot wingers regardless of positional flexibility do it if you can

Getting a motivated Beleskey at under $4 for 3 years would entice me if McPhee

Spooner is not long here and the combo of a salary increase & JFK on the horizon the writing is on the wall

4. I would protect Killer. As I've posted before his improvement is impressive.

The PK was first in the league and the toughness and flexibility offered by Kevan Miller I want

McQuaid is under appreciated and offers leadership, toughness, and is a top rate PK.

I want the two RHD to be around as McAvoy & Carlo get their 100-200 games of experience in.

I don't need Colin Miller being inexperienced RHD #3.

Dominic Moore would be brought back

Moore elite PK excellent leader face off guy and would be a strong mentor and blanket for JFK, Kuraly, Acciari, Blidh

O'Gara gets inside on third pair and will battle Morrow if here

My line up

Marchand-Bergeron-Heinen

Bjork-Krejci-Pastrnak

DeBrusk-Nash- Backes (JFK when ready is C)

Kuraly-Moore- Acciari

Blidh, Czarnik, Cehlarik extras

DEFENSE

Chara-McAvoy
Krug- Carlo/McQuaid
O'Gara - K Miller

These are my 7 with O'Gara extra if all healthy and Killer plays Left side

GOALIES
Rask
Khudobin

First round pick - 1 of these
Andersson
Poehling
Thomas
Ratcliffe
Robertson

Trade targets

1. Brodin

First round and prospect but second level type would think of including Cehlarik in a package

Minnesota dealing from multiple weaknesses including the expansion and not picking till 3rd round

Looking at picks 12-17 where Brodin might be of interest is Toronto but I'd leverage them

2. Landeskog- Bruins fans have devalued him. Carlo is a walk away. Landeskog is not a necessity but is a good fit for Boston

- skill set

Also out of Conference for Avs

Boston can go #18 and a defenseman and forward prospects

Carlo no go
Frederic & JFK no go

But one of the defenseman and a forward not named Bjork would work

I'm comfortable walking away

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I almost proposed something like this. Basically a three team deal. 1st or Frederic to Minnesota. Vegas picks Brodin and then gets Spooner, Zboril, and Beleskey from Boston. Edit: They could also select a defenseman from Boston in the expansion draft. Likely either K. Miller or McQ just for a salary thing.

Can't quite figure it out for Vegas. Think you'd rather just keep the young defenseman, but there are plenty available.

Can't quite get the value right. Also, you could just cut out one of the teams and still make it work.

What do you know about Frederic

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Here is my moves

1. Deal Hayes to a team that needs expansion bodies and if need be take back up to half the remaining 1 year contract. Cut your losses

They both have value and I expect Beleskey to bounce back to the 2014-16 guy; I'd be willing to keep him here worst case but with DeBrusk, Bjork, Heinen, and Cehlarik all left shot wingers regardless of positional flexibility do it if you can

Spooner is not long here and the combo of a salary increase & JFK on the horizon the writing is on the wall

The PK was first in the league and the toughness and flexibility offered by Kevan Miller I want

McQuaid is under appreciated and offers leadership, toughness, and is a top rate PK.

I want the two RHD to be around as McAvoy & Carlo get their 100-200 games of experience in.

Moore elite PK excellent leader face off guy and would be a strong mentor and blanket for JFK, Kuraly, Acciari, Blidh

My line up

Marchand-Bergeron-Heinen

Bjork-Krejci-Pastrnak

Kuraly-Moore- Acciari

DEFENSE

Chara-McAvoy
Krug- Carlo/McQuaid
O'Gara - K Miller

GOALIES
Rask
Khudobin

Andersson
Poehling
Thomas
Ratcliffe
Robertson

Trade targets

1. Brodin

First round and prospect but second level type would think of including Cehlarik in a package

Minnesota dealing from multiple weaknesses including the expansion and not picking till 3rd round

Looking at picks 12-17 where Brodin might be of interest is Toronto but I'd leverage them

2. Landeskog- Bruins fans have devalued him. Carlo is a walk away. Landeskog is not a necessity but is a good fit for Boston

- skill set

Carlo no go
Frederic & JFK no go

Ok I can take the summer off now. Nice post, but my gut is telling me we will move someone folks will not be happy trading.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Brodin played better as a 2nd pairing guy and i think Minnesota saw that and reduced his minutws significantly. I dont think he has the chops to be a first pairing guy, but he can skate and move the puck. Still young enough to project upwards. I'd be happy to see the Bruins get him, but I just don't want to see use waste valuable assets or see him put in a position to fail.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
What do you know about Frederic

Not sure what you're asking. I know Minnesota fans have interest in Frederic. #18 is higher than we took him in a weaker draft and obviously Frederic had a good year.

Brodin played better as a 2nd pairing guy and i think Minnesota saw that and reduced his minutws significantly. I dont think he has the chops to be a first pairing guy, but he can skate and move the puck. Still young enough to project upwards. I'd be happy to see the Bruins get him, but I just don't want to see use waste valuable assets or see him put in a position to fail.

There's a quote from Spurgeon on the trade board saying that he only wanted to play with a right hander. I think he said that, and they made the move. Don't get to see too much of Minnesota though.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Here is my moves

My line up

Marchand-Bergeron-Heinen

Bjork-Krejci-Pastrnak

Kuraly-Moore- Acciari

DEFENSE

Chara-McAvoy
Krug- Carlo/McQuaid
O'Gara - K Miller

GOALIES
Rask
Khudobin

Andersson
Poehling
Thomas
Ratcliffe
Robertson

Trade targets

1. Brodin

- skill set

Carlo no go
Frederic & JFK no go

i could live with your team... but 1 point. retaining half of hayes contract saves us 1.15 mill. burying him saves us 900k. for that extra 250k i dont think we should be giving up anything.

guys have been known to play harder in a contract season.

if islanders and minny dont want spooner as part of a dman trade, im willing to do the deal with vegas.

i dont mind moore being resigned but dont want nash anywhere near the third line. if we resign moore we should deal nash

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
new thread... more time to think about all the possibilities... trying to pay attention to what other teams are doing... keep an eye on the cap management... try to keep my personal bias out of it... heres what my gut says they WILL do

1/ before expansion trade c miller/ spooner maybe subban and vatrano... this takes away vegas cheap options in expansion and lets us loose a bigger contract. coming in i believe will be a left hand shot dman we like in our top 4... i will say calvin dehaan simply because islanders cant protect him without making other moves and hes a rfa

2/ dmen protected chara/krug/new guy... left exposed k miller/mcquaid

3/ at entry draft i hope calen foote the big right hand shot dman drops to us

4/ in free agency, i ses iginla signing... morrow and schaller being back... dominec moore let go

5/ contract for pastrnak around 6x6.5... calvin dehaan at around brodin money 5x 4.5 everyone else getting minimum raises

5/ the lineup i expect to go into next season

pastrnak/bergeron/marchand our 20 million dollar line
iginla/krejci/kid A krecji plays slow so iginla can keep up
hayes/backes/kid B lets hope hayes puts in an effort for contract year
accari/nash/belesky lets hope belesky is healthy and in shape
schaller/kid C schaller is a good utility player

im leaving room for 3 kids... im going to predict debrusk edges bjork for krejci line... kuraly gets the backes line... czarik is the 12th forward

carlo/chara
mcavoy/dehaan
mcquaid/krug
morrow

no im not saying krug sucks... just how i see the mins bring doled out this year

rask
khudobin

mcintyre might win backup job

this linup takes us right up against the cap. people wont be happy i have hayes, nash, belesky back... or that i have both millers gone...

i see potential this team can contend. next year when iginla/hayes are gone we have bjork/senshyn ... if chara leaves we have ogara/zboril/lauzon... when nash leaves we have jfk

we are set up for a seamless transition.

i personally might want to make bigger moves but with the cap concerns and the kids in the pipeline, this is what i most likely see happening

Vatrano is exempt is not eligible for Vegas to select.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
just send the dman there ahead of draft... whoever we are sending wont be chosen in expansion.

are you saying you move spooner, colin miller, and first for brodin though? and throw in a prospect too? im a brodin fan and i get accused giving away too much in my own proposals but this feels like too much to me

While Minnesota isn't dealing from a position of strength, there is still a bidding war, so best to outbid to get the guy we want.

I'm saying move Spooner, 1st, and RHD of Minnesota's choice (leaving it until after the expansion ensure's none of them are selected.

Just spitballing anyways.

If Spooner's value is a 2nd, and one of our 3 defenseman is worth between a 2nd or a 3rd, that is on par with a first, and 2 seconds, the prospect is incentive to take the deal.

Last edited:

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Well you have to factor that in.
Realistically the deal becomes
#18 + Killer + (whatever else) for Brodin + McQuaid
given that we end up losing Killer, instead of McQuaid to the expansion draft

McQuaid is already a Bruin.

I'd really prefer they hang on to 18 until we see how the draft starts playing out, but if you're indeed correct in it not taking much of an addition to get him, that's probably a good move.

I'm not sure it'll come that cheaply though. We have to remember, if the Wild do trade one of Brodin/Scandella/Dumba, that still means Vegas will likely take whichever of the other two is left exposed...whatever deal is made will still have to be enough to make it worthwhile for the Wild to lose two defensemen.

I think it'd be worthwhile for the Wild to do it as long as the deal is at least as valuable as the other defenseman they'd lose...I'm not sure, say, Czarnik + 18 is enough for Dumba, so it'd probably cost more.

I'm not sure that Dumba is someone that I want on the Bruins? Last year there were rumors that the B's were interested in him so I watched him as closely as I could and didn't find him to make many smart outlet passes etc. I must admit though that I don't know enough about him but his +/- is +15 and he's been a + player his whole career so that's something. Thoughts?

What're you saying in the bolded?
In regards to trading Frederic: NO! We have plenty others to offer up.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
And this from Yardbarker: Nino Niederreiter on the block?

http://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/artic...ht_be_on_the_trading_block/s1_13156_23988985#

"With the NHL Expansion Draft looming ahead in June, trade rumors are starting to swirl around the league as teams are forced to make some difficult decisions ahead of the 2017-18 season. One of the most interesting names to pop up is Nino Niederreiter of the Minnesota Wild who may be on the trading block despite a career year."

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
I'm not sure that Dumba is someone that I want on the Bruins? Last year there were rumors that the B's were interested in him so I watched him as closely as I could and didn't find him to make many smart outlet passes etc. I must admit though that I don't know enough about him but his +/- is +15 and he's been a + player his whole career so that's something. Thoughts?

Just to clarify, I was talking about trading for Brodin in that post. I mentioned Dumba because he's the guy I suspect the Wild would lose in the expansion draft if they traded Brodin prior to it -- they'd still have to expose one of Dumba or Scandella. I think if the Wild are going to trade any of their D prior to the expansion draft, the minimum return they'd be looking for is what the one they would then lose to VGK (in this case, we get Brodin and they lose Dumba) would be worth in a trade. Otherwise for them there's no point in making the trade -- they'd end up with a worse return than if they did nothing.

As for the other two posts you quoted in there and their bolded parts, both were just referencing that a trade results in the teams keeping a specific player, so they're essentially part of the trade. Trading for Brodin means we can't protect Kevan Miller, who we'll likely lose to VGK, so it results in us keeping McQuaid. Likewise for Minnesota, trading Brodin means they keep Scandella. It's just an added factor for anyone looking to trade for a protection-level player.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Here is my moves

My line up

Marchand-Bergeron-Heinen

Bjork-Krejci-Pastrnak

Kuraly-Moore- Acciari

DEFENSE

Chara-McAvoy
Krug- Carlo/McQuaid
O'Gara - K Miller

GOALIES
Rask
Khudobin

Andersson
Poehling
Thomas
Ratcliffe
Robertson

Trade targets

1. Brodin

- skill set

Carlo no go
Frederic & JFK no go

I think we can afford one of Brodin or Landeskog, but not both, especially if Pasta gets his 5-6 mill per extension.

I would put Chara on the third pairing ES and Brodin on the second pairing ES if he were to come here.

I like the idea of Brodin on our second pair if it means spelling Chara even more and keeping him fresh down the stretch. Last year, the Bruins experimented with having both Chara and Krug sharing number 1 duties. I would think Brodin would take even more shifts from Chara.

Last edited:

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
What're you saying in the bolded?
In regards to trading Frederic: NO! We have plenty others to offer up.

In my proposed deal, it was basically a three team deal.

Minnesota: 1st rounder OR Frederic

Las Vegas: Selects Brodin. Receives Spooner, Beleseky, Zboril, Boston defender(Miller or McQ).

Boston: Brodin post expansion

What I was saying was that for Minnesota it becomes basically a 1st OR Frederic and Scandella for Brodin. Currently, if they move Brodin pre ED they lose likely Scandella or Staal. If they expose Brodin, they lose him. So Minnesota gets a return for holding tight, we pay Vegas a pretty penny and give them some youth and skill while they also help us out with contracts, and we get the guy we wanted all along. As I said in my post, I'm having a tough time getting the values right, but it was just a thought.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
So the Bruins reach for Frederic and as a true freshman goes out and plays a mature 200 foot game projecting as a 3 zone end of period center.

Yah let's deal him for a LHD

What the hell we only drafted 3 in the last 2 drafts at the top of the draft

Makes sense to me

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
What about...

Carlo + Spooner + Colin

for

Dumba + Coyle

Carlo == Dumba, but MIN gets to protect Brodin and doesn't have to protect Carlo. Colin replaces Dumba's skill set for MIN, and won't be selected with Scandella still available.

For the favor, MIN swaps Spooner for Coyle.

(still prefer going after Brodin, of course)

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
So the Bruins reach for Frederic and as a true freshman goes out and plays a mature 200 foot game projecting as a 3 zone end of period center.

Makes sense to me

Yeah ... I'm with you.

I still don't see the immediate urgent need for a LHD.

But then again, sense is never common

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah ... I'm with you.

I still don't see the immediate urgent need for a LHD.

But then again, sense is never common

A great point by friend I didn't think of:

If Charlie McAvoy never played against Ottawa he'd be in every other trade proposal plus the posters who vanished saying he was not good or needed years in the AHL would be posting over and over about this

BiggioRainesHOF

May 19, 2017

Makes sense to me

I hated the Frederic pick (or more specifically Gretzky's commentary on it). Sweeney 1 Biggio 0.

I'd still trade him in the right deal, but Brodin is not the right deal at all.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
A great point by friend I didn't think of:

If Charlie McAvoy never played against Ottawa he'd be in every other trade proposal plus the posters who vanished saying he was not good or needed years in the AHL would be posting over and over about this

This is fine but it's not an argument to keep every prospect right? I feel like you always caution people about being impatient with prospects or throwing them into deals, but a) you do have to give to get, and b) a significant percentage of prospects do NOT pan out.

I don't have much of a position on any of these prospects (aside from ones who've played in Boston already), but just because Frederic or any of them had promising years doesn't make them must-keeps right? Moreover, the Bruins have a glut of kids now, at least, that's the perception. I would argue if the hockey world is taking notice of your farm system, there's probably no better time to start moving a few. It comes down to which ones to move, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad