Player Discussion What Sens player is/was not missed enough?

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I'm stuck on Chara and Spezza but I think most fans realized pretty quickly Chara's value to a team so if I understand the question then he wasn't really "missed enough". I dare to say that most Sens fans still miss him to this day.

On the other hand it seems that Spezza was still unwanted here by many long after he was gone. Not everyone of course but in general it seemed to me. As I recall, most of the complaints were about the poor return and not so much his departure like some other players. Sure everyone hated those blind back passes to the point but the reality is that he backed the D up and was able to gain that deep O-zone something the Sens have not had consistently since. If the gist of the question is "less appreciated after his departure" then I say Spezza.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'd say Chara but I am pretty sure everyone appreciated how significant a loss that was at the time.

If Muckler never traded Hossa and managed to keep Chara over Redden, it would have changed everything and the Sens might have had a Cup or two... and many more playoffs rounds won. Those 2 moves are pretty much the kick start to the eventual struggles the Sens went through since the SCF in 2007

Reactions: sensfan44

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I'm stuck on Chara and Spezza but I think most fans realized pretty quickly Chara's value to a team so if I understand the question then he wasn't really "missed enough". I dare to say that most Sens fans still miss him to this day.

On the other hand it seems that Spezza was still unwanted here by many long after he was gone. Not everyone of course but in general it seemed to me. As I recall, most of the complaints were about the poor return and not so much his departure like some other players. Sure everyone hated those blind back passes to the point but the reality is that he backed the D up and was able to gain that deep O-zone something the Sens have not had consistently since. If the gist of the question is "less appreciated after his departure" then I say Spezza.
Spezza was on the decline path though when we traded him, even though he managed to perform decently the couple years after the trade. I had no problem with trading him and his contract, but the return was clearly subpar.

It's the same with Turris. He wasn't the same player post-gumby accident, so trading him wasn't a bad idea in itself.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I cant believe no one has said Havlat!

He was one of the most talented and exciting players to ever suit up for the Sens and he was traded for absolute peanuts, right before we went to the finals. Preissing was a useful player for us that year, but Havlat should not have been the one.

We fell apart when we chose Redden over Chara.

That team was spending $11.7m on Gerber, Redden and Corvo. f***ing Muckler.

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Id say silfverberg is one. He has an under the radar serious impact on a game. Especially in the post season. We never got to see him do that here.

There are other better players but they get talked about.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Hard to gauge but stone hasn’t been mentioned and he was possibly the most impactful overall of everyone who left outside of alfredsson.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I cant believe no one has said Havlat!

He was one of the most talented and exciting players to ever suit up for the Sens and he was traded for absolute peanuts, right before we went to the finals. Preissing was a useful player for us that year, but Havlat should not have been the one.

That team was spending $11.7m on Gerber, Redden and Corvo. f***ing Muckler.

If you read up on Havlat, he reportedly told Muckler he would only sign a one year deal because he wanted to test the market. Sounds familiar to another great Ottawa player who would only sign for one year and forced the GM to trade him for something rather than lose him for nothing.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
If you read up on Havlat, he reportedly told Muckler he would only sign a one year deal because he wanted to test the market. Sounds familiar to another great Ottawa player who would only sign for one year and forced the GM to trade him for something rather than lose him for nothing.

I know that, but still. Imagine a current contender trading a 1st + 2nd liner for a bottom pairing D and mediocre futures going into a season where the goal is to win the cup. It was the perfect time to go all in; instead, we got rid of a point per game guy and a consistent 45pt guy.

Reactions: Ed Wood

Laminator

May 25, 2014
I am surprised no one has mentioned Marc Methot. I understand he hasn't played in a couple years due to injury but he was one of Ottawa's best shut down D to ever play for the Sens. I would love to have him in his prime right now. A big mobile shut down D is one of the main pieces Sens are missing going forward (I know we are missing top 6 forward talent but I feel we will get that finalized at this years draft).

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I am surprised no one has mentioned Marc Methot. I understand he hasn't played in a couple years due to injury but he was one of Ottawa's best shut down D to ever play for the Sens. I would love to have him in his prime right now. A big mobile shut down D is one of the main pieces Sens are missing going forward (I know we are missing top 6 forward talent but I feel we will get that finalized at this years draft).

Reminds how much I miss Foligno - Methot was good especially in the SFC playoff run for us.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Zibanejad

He's been unbelievable this season. On pace for 59G and 107P over a full 82GP season.

I can live with losing good secondary guys like Fisher, Vermette, Silfverberg etc... but seeing a former Senator who should have never been traded put up a Hart trophy type season for another team is a hard pill to swallow.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Zibanejad

He's been unbelievable this season. On pace for 59G and 107P over a full 82GP season.

I can live with losing good secondary guys like Fisher, Vermette, Silfverberg etc... but seeing a former Senator who should have never been traded put up a Hart trophy type season for another team is a hard pill to swallow.

Probably the best one on the list because of how much he could be helping now

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Going further back into the past, here's a couple of names:

- Vaclav Prospal: I always thought he was underrated. Skilled 2nd liner with good vision and some clutch to his game. Jacques Martin didn't seem to like him.

- Ron Tugnutt: brought some stability to our net, yet was traded for Barrasso at the deadline, and I don't think it was a trade for the better.

- Sami Salo: big defenseman with an awesome shot from the point. Traded for Peter Shafer. I didn't mind Shafer (nice board work with some skill on the 3rd line), but I didn't think he brought as much to the team as Salo did. The main issue with Salo was that he was injury prone IIRC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad