What probability do you feel Ovechkin has to catch Gretzky now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
How do you know how many goals would Kurri score without Gretzky? His GPG average in the last Gretzky season was 0.53 and in the first post-Gretzky season was 0.58. Almost the same. It's not unreasonable to think that he scores over 400 goals in the 80s without Gretzky and then picks up another 100 after.

Maybe so. But for 80s/90s those are still borderline HOF credentials.

FWIW I’m a Caps fan and Ovie is my favorite player of all time. But having idolized Gretzky as a kid I just don’t like to see his achievements minimized to build up modern players.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
It doesn't matter if he was frontloaded. It has nothing to do with longevity. But in his early 20s, he could comfortably score over 80 goals per season more than once in today's NHL for all the reasons I listed. Bottomline: we'll never know. I'm done here.

I don't know about 80 but definitely 60+
People on here are criminally underestimating Gretzky. He is greatest all time for a reason and would have adjusted to any era as his hockey IQ was off the charts.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I grew up watching Gretzky as well and was born and raised in his hometown, his game would not translate goal scoring wise. He's still be the best and contend every year for the Art Ross, his IQ would be unparalleled but goal scoring is just much, much harder and defensemen are infinitely better. This isn't disrespectful, it's just the truth and no game is as blind to nostalgia as the NHL is.
Gretzky in today's game would milk his slapshot picking talent over and over

Every game would be this

Reactions: Sentinel

HurricaneFanatic

Jan 16, 2020
At the end of the day, I can say Ovi or Mario is probably the greatest Goal Scorer ever without wanting Ovi to break the actual number. hell, to be honest, there are probably a handful of guys who were better goal scorers for longer than Gretzky. I am cool with that haha.
I don't even dislike Ovi, I think he's a cool guy. Even funny at times.

Reactions: Another AZ

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
I mean, Asians historically do not excel at athletics that require size. There are outliers of course, but there aren't a ton of 6'2 225lbs Chinese males walking around. Unless genetically that changes in 20 years your example holds zero weight. They aren't going to be bigger, stronger or faster than what we have because genetically that isn't what constitutes the average Asian man, that's not changing. It makes far more sense that the Nordic and European infusion, along with even more American players is about as big of a talent infusion the game will ever see, for obvious reason.
Well, Wayne won an Art at the age of 33-34 with a broken back in a team that missed the playoffs. This was despite having all the greatest from the old CCCP team in the league, and the additional Bure, Jagr, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Mogilny, Sundin, Selanne, Hasek and so on and so forth...

I'm sure Ol' Wayne would be able to find himself on the scoresheet once or twice even in todays "competitive" environment.

Edit: Anyway, we have digressed. I'm surprised not more people here mention the olympics. I think that is the one thing he wants the most. If NHL won't allow their players to participate, I'm pretty sure he'll go for it five years from now. That means he has four seasons + the reminder of this one left.

Last edited:

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Gretzky in today's game would milk his slapshot picking talent over and over

Every game would be this

..you’re saying Gretzky would be able to do what Cody Hodgson did.

ok, sarcasm! Got it- dude, it’s so tough to read sometimes. Almost got me, goddammit, had to spell it out for myself to get it.

Reactions: Sentinel

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I will never understand this obsession so many fans have (see: this thread) with how Gretzky would do if playing today. It's 100% irrelevant to everything.

Also, why is this discussion always one-way and always with Gretzky? I've never heard someone repeatedly ask, "Would Steve Yzerman be able to score 155 points today?" "Would Fedorov be able to win a scoring race today?" "Would Mike Bossy be able to score 50 goals today?" "Would Patrick Roy be able to stop a puck today?" It's always Gretzky getting projected into the future.

(One exception is the 'dirty' skilled players like Clarke, Messier, Lindros... Sometimes, I hear, "Could they play today?")

Do baseball fans endlessly project Lou Gehrig and Ted Williams into the steroid-era to try to discredit the past of the game?

Adamantoise

Mar 15, 2021
I think it's fair to question whether the kind of competitive edge that Gretzky had over his peers is attainable today, due to more professionalized nature of the game, evolution of information technology and hockey development progarms world-wide.

I don't think that can be used to argue, fruitfully, that Gretzky isn't the GOAT hockey player. If he isn't GOAT, then there is nothing that anyone could've done in his era to become the GOAT, which is stupid.

Reactions: Another AZ

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Well, Wayne won an Art at the age of 33-34 with a broken back in a team that missed the playoffs. This was despite having all the greatest from the old CCCP team in the league, and the additional Bure, Jagr, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Mogilny, Sundin, Selanne, Hasek and so on and so forth...

I'm sure Ol' Wayne would be able to find himself on the scoresheet once or twice even in todays "competitive" environment.

Edit: Anyway, we have digressed. I'm surprised not more people here mention the olympics. I think that is the one thing he wants the most. If NHL won't allow their players to participate, I'm pretty sure he'll go for it five years from now. That means he has four seasons + the reminder of this one left.
Art Ross, we're talking goals.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
It doesn't matter if he was frontloaded. It has nothing to do with longevity. But in his early 20s, he could comfortably score over 80 goals per season more than once in today's NHL for all the reasons I listed. Bottomline: we'll never know. I'm done here.
Goal scoring in terms of career has EVERYTHING to do with longevity and that's why Jagr was still effective later in his career when Gretzky wasn't in a higher scoring era late in his career. Gretzky would be lucky to get 40 in the NHL today even in his prime, your nostalgia glasses are truly embarrassing if you think a 180 lbs player is coming in and scoring 80 goals. That's absolutely ridiculous. He'd be a slower McDavid and that vast majority of his points would be assists. If you think Gretzky is getting 160-180 points in the league now you're nuts.
Ovechkin has concentrated mainly on scoring goals throughout his career. After his 84-85 season, Gretzky said he wanted to concentrate more on assists, particularly when he set the ridiculous mark of 163 assists in the 85-86 season. He was still a young man when he went in this direction. If it was the other way around, and Gretzky had to chase down an Ovechkin all-time goal total, I could see Gretzky going over 1,000 if that's all he wanted to do.

And I'm a Lemieux fan that thinks Lemieux is the best goal scorer of all time.
Gretzky's numbers dropped because goalies and defenses improved, you don't suddenly decide not to score 90 goals and if he could have, he would have. In today's NHL Gretzky would not be able an elite goal scorer and nothing in his game shows he would be able to do that. Lemieux on the other hand would be much better suited as a goal scorer in the modern NHL.

Hatfield

Jan 27, 2007
Gretzky's numbers dropped because goalies and defenses improved, you don't suddenly decide not to score 90 goals and if he could have, he would have. In today's NHL Gretzky would not be able an elite goal scorer and nothing in his game shows he would be able to do that. Lemieux on the other hand would be much better suited as a goal scorer in the modern NHL.

Gretzky’s goal totals went from 55 to 92 one year, then 87 to 73 to 52 (the same year he set the single season assists and points records), then back to 62. You think these numbers are dependent on the overall quality of goaltending in those years?

Gretzky’s goal production dipped in a way that’s very normal and expected as players age and deal with injury. Very few players are elite goal scorers in their late 20s and 30s. Ovie is actually a huge outlier in that sense.

I do think Gretzky made a conscious decision to be more of a setup man later in his career, because he was still the best in the world at it.

Last edited:

Minar

Aug 27, 2018
Goal scoring in terms of career has EVERYTHING to do with longevity and that's why Jagr was still effective later in his career when Gretzky wasn't in a higher scoring era late in his career. Gretzky would be lucky to get 40 in the NHL today even in his prime, your nostalgia glasses are truly embarrassing if you think a 180 lbs player is coming in and scoring 80 goals. That's absolutely ridiculous. He'd be a slower McDavid and that vast majority of his points would be assists. If you think Gretzky is getting 160-180 points in the league now you're nuts.

Gretzky scored less and less because of AGE. He himself has said it became harder and harder as you grow older to put your body through the wear and tear to score like that.

Reactions: Amazinmets73
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln