What probability do you feel Ovechkin has to catch Gretzky now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
An interrupted season in 2020 which wasn't a big deal but cost him 10-12 games and then a shortened year for the 2nd time in his career - at 56 games.

One thing to consider, Ovie is 35, will be 36 in September. 7 goals in 19 games is not very Ovechkin-like and he's not looked like himself this year. Granted, a lot of players his age are "losing it". Crosby, Malkin come to mind also as not playing the best hockey this year. Part of it could be age, and we saw similar things like this after 2004 and 2012 lockouts where a player in his 30s quite often just can't afford to have this much time taken off at this age and get back to his past play. He is at the 2017 level where he had 33 goals in 82 games, before ringing off Rocket Richard trophies the last three years. You never want to count him out, or say that perhaps his goal scoring is drying up (to his standards) but he hasn't looked the same this year.

9.6% shot percentage, the lowest in his career since 2011. 79 shots on net, good for a surprising 15th in the NHL. Coming from a guy who led the NHL in shots 11 times.

Basically to do the math here we have to look at it like this. Let's say he gets 20 goals this year. Or we'll give him 25 to be generous. 25 goals at the end of this year puts him at 731. He'll pass Phil Esposito this year for 6th all-time, but 731 ties him with Marcel Dionne for 5th.

So at 36 years old, 16 seasons in he'll have 731, let's say, heading into 2021-'22. He'll need:

163 goals to tie Gretzky.

So 4 more seasons of 41 goals in order to beat him. That gives him 895. That is factoring in that he could want to play in the KHL at the end of his career and I assume if Ovechkin isn't an elite goal scorer that he won't hang around the NHL with 25-30 goal seasons to end his career. That just isn't him. That's my guess.

So I think this season has put him further back and I think it has decreased his chances.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I feel like he’s always a guy that’s ended the season really strong. Even then he’s on a 30 goal pace at 35 and we’re disappointed with that performance. It’s crazy the standards he’s set and even if he doesn’t catch Gretzky it’s hard to argue that he isn’t the greatest goal scorer to ever play the game.

TeeTee

Apr 20, 2016
Zero.

His skating is getting bad. He cant handle the puck. He really isnt even involved in the flow of the game anymore. I watch a lot of Caps games and he rarely has the puck.

His minutes will start to decline due to his overall game.

Reactions: Midnight Judges

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
50/50 depending on how long he wants to play. I don't see him getting 40 plus more than once after this season. He's gonna slow down he's not a spring chicken anymore age will catch him before he catches 99. His only shot is keep playing scoring at a much lower rate than he has up until now.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Chances decreased since Wednesday when he speared a player in the nuts.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChuckW

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
People saying 0 are forgetting who this guy is.
Gretzky's total is pretty high though, although Ovi has aged gracefully with about 50 goals the past 3 years.
I'll go with 30%.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
10%? Like someone else said, it won’t matter as he’s already the GOAT for goal scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad