What playoff outcome for the Habs would be enough to make you happy?

What playoff outcome for the Habs would be enough to make you happy?

• Total voters

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So everyone knows Habs get to play Penguins in the play-in round. And to any regular posters here - I think it's a pretty safe statement to say that most fans here seem to prefer that we lose the play in to protect our draft position (possibly Lafreniere, if not 9th) vs winning only to be eliminated quickly thereafter. But let's go down that road in this poll. So here's the scenario:

1. If Habs beat and eliminate Penguins.

What playoff outcome is enough to make you happy?

A. Loss in round 1 - happy we at least made playoffs
B. Loss in round 2. Farther than in a long time, would be happy with that
C. ECF loss. Great run - would be happy with that
D. Finals loss - finals for the first time in 27 years, happy with that
E. Winning the Stanley Cup - Nothing less, this is what it takes to make me happy
F. Not even winning the cup would make me happy. I want to lose the play-in no matter what

Obviously - a cup would make anyone happier than a round 1 loss. But the point of the poll is - what is the minimum you'd accept to be happy with the outcome and our playoff run at the end of the playoffs?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This tournament is a joke in my opinion so a Cup at the end of it for me is not a real Cup. So I want my possibility of a #1 spot, which is something tangible that could bring a real Cup in the near future.

This.

Having said that, I hope we lose in 5 and all the kids - KK, Juulsen, poehling, Mete, Evan's, Fleury, Suzuki, Domi, and Drouin - look wonderful.

I mean for my nerves' sakes I hope we lose in 3. But the above is the dream scenario.

Last edited:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
In hindsight, would have made more sense to hold the lottery after the 'play in' round.

Now fans will be hoping for their favorite team to lose?

img_0574.jpg

Last edited:

JimboJay

Oct 9, 2018
The option of "Not even winning the cup would make me happy. I want to lose the play-in no matter what" is, imho ridiculous.

This is not the 80s. Dynasties are basically impossible in today's NHL. You get a shot at the cup, you take it. The cup is the goal and getting a guaranteed cup vs. a prospect (albeit an elite one) is no contest. The cup, every day, and twice on sunday.

The Stars gave away one of the top prospects in the NHL to make their team better & it was a key point in them winning a cup. Likewise boston giving up one elite player to gain the depth they needed to win. In both cases, the teams who got the elite player (calgary and SJ) never won a cup with them.

So im not sure how anyone can choose that but hey, we all have our opinions.

Personally, i wish we hadnt made the play-in but I would be happy with final 4. Id rather we lose pick 1st or 9th but if we DO win, then anything less than final 4 i'll be unhappy. If we can make it to the conference finals, i can live with it. I believe we'd still pick 16th at that point (we'd have to win that series to drop further) so if you win the play-in round (drop to 16th) then you might as well go all the way to the Eastern Conference finals.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Is “round one” even considered the playoffs?
Isn’t it a play-in round? (With “in” being the playoffs)

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
The option of "Not even winning the cup would make me happy. I want to lose the play-in no matter what" is, imho ridiculous.

This is not the 80s. Dynasties are basically impossible in today's NHL. You get a shot at the cup, you take it. The cup is the goal and getting a guaranteed cup vs. a prospect (albeit an elite one) is no contest. The cup, every day, and twice on sunday.

The Stars gave away one of the top prospects in the NHL to make their team better & it was a key point in them winning a cup. Likewise boston giving up one elite player to gain the depth they needed to win. In both cases, the teams who got the elite player (calgary and SJ) never won a cup with them.

Personally, i wish we hadnt made the play-in but I would be happy with final 4. Id rather we lose pick 1st or 9th but if we DO win, then anything less than final 4 i'll be unhappy. If we can make it to the conference finals, i can live with it. I believe we'd still pick 16th at that point (we'd have to win that series to drop further) so if you win the play-in round (drop to 16th) then you might as well go all the way to the Eastern Conference finals.
Winning the Cup would be quite funny. And historic, legitimate or not. I’d take that.

Reactions: angusyoung

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

Easy to understand. For you, this is a Stanley Cup. For all of us taking that option, it's a tournament where the winner will win a trophy that will have the name of Lord Stanley. Just like a World Championship gets a gold medal. We are 4-5 months since the end of the season, it may as well be a new season at this point.

In fact, why do a season at all. From now on they should do this all the time, just a preseason then a tournament up to December, then do another one from January to March (sarcasm) :)

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
In fact, why do a season at all. From now on they should do this all the time, just a preseason then a tournament up to December, then do another one from January to March (sarcasm) :)
You're on to something. With a summer season they coud even hand out the cup 3 times a year, would be easier to create dynasties and more teams would have a shot at winning.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Losing in the first round and getting Lafrenière, nothing less.

don't think you understood the poll question...

To the bolded - as of this posting that option is winning by 54%. Welcome to HF habs section lol - even winning a cup isn't enough to satisfy.

Is “round one” even considered the playoffs?
Isn’t it a play-in round? (With “in” being the playoffs)

Round 1 in this poll implies round 1 when it's down to 16 teams, so after play-in.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Loss in round 1 where Suzuki, KK, Poehling and Primeau play well.

Habs get 1st overall and Bergevin mans the f*** up and trades the future for either PLD, or Barzal, or offersheets 1 and manages to get a player like Dunn.

Wishful thinking, but that would be a great thing.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
don't think you understood the poll question...

To the bolded - as of this posting that option is winning by 54%. Welcome to HF habs section lol - even winning a cup isn't enough to satisfy.

Round 1 in this poll implies round 1 when it's down to 16 teams, so after play-in.

It's almost like you purposefuly ignore that it's not a normal cup.

That 54% speaks more of its illegitimacy, than what the fans actually wish regarding a true cup, but you're gonna ignore all that so you can spout stupid shit. You feel better?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
It's almost like you purposefuly ignore that it's not a normal cup.

That 54% speaks more of its illegitimacy, than what the fans actually wish regarding a true cup, but you're gonna ignore all that so you can spout stupid shit. You feel better?

Yeah, this was answered in the poll that I did previously.

It was like 98% of respondents said they would want a cup over picking 1st overall, but its clear that number drastically reduces when you consider that this isn't a normal cup.

And I've said it before, if Montreal won this cup, it would make the covid invitational even more illegitimate.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
with so many wanting a loss to the Pens for a chance at Laf, it’s interesting that it’s not an option.

Im guessing 90% may vote for that if it was an option. Honestly - I myself might too.

But thats not the point of the poll. Im asking if we do beat Pittsburgh specifically - how far do the habs have to go for you to be happy.

It's the last option, but its worded in a way to dissuade you from voting for it.

Well no. I fully aknowledge most prefer not to beat Pitt. Im asking a different question. IF we do beat Pitt - how far do we need to go to make you happy. Or will you be unhappy no matter what, even if we win the cup

I think the question is very clearly worded

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
It's the last option, but its worded in a way to dissuade you from voting for it.
This is a rigged poll. It's a real cup. The players won't call it a "fake" cup. It will require the same amount of wins and effort, maybe more, and the best team( cough, Blues, cough) will win it, well hopefully. Anyway it won't be us, no need to worry. :laugh:

I just want the play-in over and out, then get 1st overall, and watch some summer playoff hockey. :nod:

PhysicX

Nov 17, 2010
MTL
Im guessing 90% may vote for that if it was an option. Honestly - I myself might too.

But thats not the point of the poll. Im asking if we do beat Pittsburgh specifically - how far do the habs have to go for you to be happy.

Well no. I fully aknowledge most prefer not to beat Pitt. Im asking a different question. IF we do beat Pitt - how far do we need to go to make you happy. Or will you be unhappy no matter what, even if we win the cup

I think the question is very clearly worded
Well, last option states voter wants to lose the play-in no matter what.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad